🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Ongoing work - is there still a fee?
Page options
brandi_gale
Community Member

Ongoing work - is there still a fee?

I recently interviewed with a co. that has this particular project but after that will be keeping the person they hire in the long term. I know that Upwork charges 20% of the first $500 made, but if after that, it isn't something that is posted on Upwork (just offered by the client after the initial project) are there still ongoing fees if you become a contracted employee? 

7 REPLIES 7
lysis10
Community Member

Brandi G wrote:

I recently interviewed with a co. that has this particular project but after that will be keeping the person they hire in the long term. I know that Upwork charges 20% of the first $500 made, but if after that, it isn't something that is posted on Upwork (just offered by the client after the initial project) are there still ongoing fees if you become a contracted employee? 

10% until the contract reaches $10k and then it's 5%.

Thanks for your help 🙂 

Actually, I have one more question. When you are taking out your self-employment tax, do you tax the amount you get after Upwork's % comes out or the gross before Upwork takes their cut? Sorry, I know that's a lot to ask, but I'm really new and trying to decide if this opportunity would be worth leaving my job for. 

Thanks 🙂 

Upwork commission is a tax write off so it’s not income. I match what Upwork reports to the irs and then write off the commission.

Brandi G wrote:

Actually, I have one more question. When you are taking out your self-employment tax, do you tax the amount you get after Upwork's % comes out or the gross before Upwork takes their cut? Sorry, I know that's a lot to ask, but I'm really new and trying to decide if this opportunity would be worth leaving my job for. 

Thanks 🙂 

Don't leave your job. It is very uncommon to be offered a full-time employee position on upwork. 

Martina P wrote:

Brandi G wrote:

Thanks 🙂 

Don't leave your job. It is very uncommon to be offered a full-time employee position on upwork. 

Whoops, I missed that part. Yeah, don't leave your job. Really bad idea. If someone is offering full time, it's likely OP is getting scammed.

richard_wein
Community Member

Brandi G wrote:

Upwork's terms of service require the client to continue paying you through upwork for a minimum of two years. I don't think there's any exception made because the client has made you a fulltime employee.  You or the client may pay upwork a fee to opt out of this obligation,  but it's expensive. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths