cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Only 1 out of 3 jobs I apply to, someone is hired

Ryszard J Member Since: Nov 6, 2016
1 of 4

In the last weeks I have a terrible experience. I apply for Excel automation projects, some of them have people interviewed, I also spoke with clients on a few of these projects, then no response.

I waste my time not only browsing these offers, reading requirements, checking attachments, thinking about how to solve the problem and sending my offer, but also getting in details during interview sometimes. All of this to have this shameful ratio of projects where anyone has been hired.

I have accounts on 3 freelancing portals, counting Upwork, and I already know that some clients post a project on all of them, so it's obvious they are not hiring on each.

Do you also experience similar things?

Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
2 of 4

It is only obvious that the client is not hiring on Upwork for these jobs.  They may be listed on other freelance websites and through more traditional hiring methods.  They may also have found someone locally or within their organization for these jobs.  They may have decided not to hire at this time.

Just apply, interview and then move on is my advice.  You can drive yourself nuts trying to figure out what goes on with the clients' side of things.

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
3 of 4

Ryszard, while I haven't kept statistics for my specialty, web development, 1 out of 3 doesn't sound too bad to me. If you're concerned about the time you spend applying, my advice is to adjust your approach and only spend a lot of time if the job has a large budget or the client has spent a large sum at Upwork on previous jobs.

4 of 4

There are millions of job postings on Upwork.

When I monitor all incoming job postings, I see many posted per minute.

If 1 out of 3 of those postings results in somebody getting hired... that's a LOT of money clients are paying to freelancers here!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS