🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Opt-Out Fee + sending resume
Page options
cassajoy
Community Member

Opt-Out Fee + sending resume

Hello,

I was contacted by a client for a proposal I submitted. The message they sent asked me to communicate through Skype. Maybe that was a red flag? Ugh. They asked me to introduce myself and send over my resume, which of course I did (for some reason). My main question is, should I be concerned that I attached my resume (with name, phone, email, and address)? Is there some way they can scam me with only that information?

It looked like this client had an UpWork profile made, but the person actually hiring was external to UpWork. So after they asked for my resume, they then said how they pay bi-weekly and they already paid UpWork the opt-out fee. I think if they had said that first I wouldn't have sent the resume (of course). Once they mentioned the opt-out fee, I felt I needed to try to investigate.

From here, I noticed that the job has closed. I will look into how I can report the client in case it is a scam.

Thank you!

2 REPLIES 2
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Danielle, 

I can confirm that actions have been taken against the job post and the client's account. It's good that you followed your instincts, and checked here about this client. While I can't say if these fraudulent actors will use your address and phone number, in the future, you may want to refer clients who request for your CV to your Upwork profile. 

Since you are new, you may want to read up on the "Safety First!" section of the freelancer resources we have compiled, and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs for more information about working safely through Upwork.

~ Avery
Upwork
deegolatto
Community Member

I had the same problem today, but I didn't send my resume. As soon as I mentioned I should be paid via Upwork, they ghosted me.  The name of the job posting was:  **edited for Community Guidelines**

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths