🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Paid test drive should have contract too?
Page options
fizza-maqsood
Community Member

Paid test drive should have contract too?

Kindly answer only authorize person of Upwork

My client assigned me a test article but not along with contract so should I deliver him?

I have asked him, is it a paid test drive? He said yes, however pay in the next article. 

He assigned me a test article of 500 words without sending any contract so should I deliver him? is it OK? 

Note: I am new to Upwork

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

re: "Oh My God, I have sent the article what should I do now? How could I delete the file from his access."

There is no reason to be distressed. You sent him one article. It's not that big a deal. You didn't write a whole novel for him. You spent a relatively small amount of time and you learned a lesson.

Can you "delete the file from his access"?

No.

But you are the rightful owner of the article. So go ahead and use it as an item in your portfolio.

Stop communicating with that client.

Don't try to get paid for that work.

Feel free to report the client if you want to, although you are not obligated to.

You are not going to get in trouble from Upwork or anybody else for this.

The important thing is that you learned from your mistake and won't do this kind of thing again.

Clients are welcome to ask freelancers to do test work, as long as they pay the freelancers.

There is no such thing as "paying" you by "paying you next time."

You have never gone to a restaurant and heard a waitress tell you:

"Oh, that's all right, you only ordered one pie. You can just pay for it when you come in next time, for a full meal."

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
petra_r
Community Member

This is a user forum so everyone is "authorized" to comment.

@Fizza M wrote:

My client assigned me a test article but not along with contract so should I deliver him?

I have asked him, is it a paid test drive? He said yes, however pay in the next article. 

He assigned me a test article of 500 words without sending any contract so should I deliver him? is it OK?

No, it is not ok. The client is asking for free work and that is not allowed. Think about it logically: If the client gives 20 people a "test article" they get 20 articles for free...

Of course sometimes even the clients who pay nothing get exactly what they paid for...

Fizza: this "client" is familiar with Upwork rules and policies. He is breaking the rules intentionally.

There is no "paid test" with him. It is a point of pride on his part that he gets work for free and never pays freelancers.

You are doing the right thing to not send him any work and to report him by flagging the job and providing appropriate information to Upwork about this person.

Oh My God, I have sent the article what should I do now?

How could I delete the file from his access.

re: "Oh My God, I have sent the article what should I do now? How could I delete the file from his access."

There is no reason to be distressed. You sent him one article. It's not that big a deal. You didn't write a whole novel for him. You spent a relatively small amount of time and you learned a lesson.

Can you "delete the file from his access"?

No.

But you are the rightful owner of the article. So go ahead and use it as an item in your portfolio.

Stop communicating with that client.

Don't try to get paid for that work.

Feel free to report the client if you want to, although you are not obligated to.

You are not going to get in trouble from Upwork or anybody else for this.

The important thing is that you learned from your mistake and won't do this kind of thing again.

Clients are welcome to ask freelancers to do test work, as long as they pay the freelancers.

There is no such thing as "paying" you by "paying you next time."

You have never gone to a restaurant and heard a waitress tell you:

"Oh, that's all right, you only ordered one pie. You can just pay for it when you come in next time, for a full meal."

Thank you for your advice and guide.

JoanneP

Hi Fizza,

Sorry to hear of your experience so far. Preston and Petra are correct. You shouldn't start any task with the client without a contract. Please read this tips on how to get started on Upwork and tips on how to avoid questionable jobs. Let us know if you need any assistance. We're here to help.

~ Joanne
Upwork

@Joanne Marie P wrote:

Hi Frizza,

Sorry to hear of your experience so far. Preston and Petra are correct. You shouldn't start any task with the client without a contract. Please read this tips on how to get started on Upwork and tips on how to avoid questionable jobs. Let us know if you need any assistance. We're here to help.

Joanne Marie,

The OP's name is "Fizza" not "Frizza". 

kat303
Community Member

@Fizza M wrote:

Kindly answer only authorize person of Upwork

Note: I am new to Upwork

Looks like you've passed scam initition. It's what most new freelancers go through when coming on this site without learning about this site and what to look out for. Think of it as a rite of passage to work on here. Now that you've completed and passed you'll know what NOT to do.

You were never even hired for that job. the clients account wasn't verified and escrow wasn't Fully funded Before you started working on that job. All of that has to be done BEFORE you start work. Promises don't pay bills, money does.  I have to ask. Why did you ask, if you should send the article to him and then send it to him withouit waiting for an answer. There IS something you can do now. on this forum, and in the Freelancers section of this forum just search for scam. And read the Thousands of posts, mostly of the same scams over and over. Then get further information and procedures by reading the help section (click on the question mark on the top right of the home page.) and go through EVERY link.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths