🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Pay Rates and Proposals
Page options
michaelnewmex
Community Member

Pay Rates and Proposals

Apologies if this has previously been asked/answered. I've looked but haven't found info. I'm new to Upwork and Freelance stuff. I'm seeing some jobs I'd like to send proposals to but their pay range in some cases is quite a bit higher than what I have set in my profile. My reasoning being with little experience here, a lower rate might help me get some starter/experience jobs so I can hopefully get better rates moving forward.

So how do people handle that situation when you're bidding for work that would pay higher than your posted rate in your profile? Hope that makes sense.

Thanks for any feedback or insights.

-Mike

2 REPLIES 2
martina_plaschka
Community Member

John D wrote:

Apologies if this has previously been asked/answered. I've looked but haven't found info. I'm new to Upwork and Freelance stuff. I'm seeing some jobs I'd like to send proposals to but their pay range in some cases is quite a bit higher than what I have set in my profile. My reasoning being with little experience here, a lower rate might help me get some starter/experience jobs so I can hopefully get better rates moving forward.

So how do people handle that situation when you're bidding for work that would pay higher than your posted rate in your profile? Hope that makes sense.

Thanks for any feedback or insights.

-Mike

Your rate is your rate. Don't charge more, don't charge less. 

Your profile is a little unusual, it sounds, forgive me for saying, a bit juvenile. Mostly you talk about your mother. That could be charming if it were part of a well-crafted overview, but it isn't. It's also confusing that your name doesn't match your profile name. Fix all of these issues. 

Martina,

Thanks for the clarification regarding pay rates. Regarding my profile, if I remember correctly, Upwork required me to set up my account with my legal name that matched my ID. My middle name is Michael. Everyone calls me Mike or Michael and I introduce myself as such. I can see where that might be confusing. My entire life I've had to explain it to teachers, physicians, etc. I'll see what I can figure out. There are literally two sentences that relate how my mom inspired English and language learning in our household. There also two sentences in your own profile that relate your passion for English. So I'm a little confused. I'm very new to Upwork and the whole freelance scene.

My profile will be a work in progress as I gain experience and figure out ways to tune it up. I was aiming for a friendly, conversational tone. Apparently I either missed the mark, it's not appropriate or just "juvenile" from your point of view. Quite honestly, there are some things that would make your profile a better presentation. I could be deprecating and insulting but it's not my thing. I will keep your feedback in mind. I got some important advice from a supervisor once. You can be right and you can share insights and experience. But you don't have to be a Dick Van Dyke about it.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths