🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Pay VAT as an inmigrant UK
Page options
diaz-mariano
Community Member

Pay VAT as an inmigrant UK

Hey there!
I just moved to the UK to do charity work but I am actually from ARGENTINA.

I change my location in Upwork so my clients know that I am not working in the timezone of Argentina but I saw that they start charging me VAT and I am not sure if it should be a charge to me as I am paying the taxes of Argentina.

Can someone give me some advice?

I don't have a VAT number

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Mariano D wrote:

So I am just staying for a short period of time and I don't have a VAT number.
I am paying taxes in Argentina not UK.

Should I change my location to Argentina again?
The thing is the timezone will be different  to the one of UK but I shouldn't pay UK Taxes

I'm afraid that I can only give you general information and not a definitive answer on your exact situation. (I'm no expert, I'm just somebody who travels and moves around a lot and has friends who do the same.) How short a period of time are you staying? Weeks? Months? If Upwork wants you to verify your location in the UK, do you have anything official with your UK address? Does your visa allow you to work while you're in the UK? (If you were only allowed into the country to do charity work, then you need to check your status with UK Visas and Immigration. If you're staying for longer than a few weeks, you should ask them about your tax situation as well.)

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
diaz-mariano
Community Member

Should I put back Argentina as my location or is there any way that I could not pay British taxes as I am not staying here?

Mariano D wrote:

Should I put back Argentina as my location or is there any way that I could not pay British taxes as I am not staying here?

The subject of your thread says that you're an "immigrant" to the UK, which means that you have moved here permanently and therefore need to pay taxes (not just VAT, but also on your Upwork earnings if they're over a certain amount; you may also need to register your business). But if you're not an immigrant and are just staying in the UK for a short time, then you should change your location back to Argentina. 

By the way, you'll be paying VAT on pretty much everything while you're in the UK (it's just hidden in the total price, instead of charged separately like Upwork does). 

Hey there!

The thing is the timezone will be different  to the one of UK but I shouldn't pay UK Taxes

I am not sure what to do  here

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Mariano,

I would recommend reaching out to an expert that can guide you accordingly about your VAT and any other questions you may have. 

Upwork charges the country-specific Value Added Tax (VAT) to freelancers and agencies in the European Union (EU), unless you provide a valid VAT number. VAT will be assessed on services provided by us, not on services you provide your clients. To learn more about VAT check out this Help Article. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Mariano D wrote:

I'm afraid that I can only give you general information and not a definitive answer on your exact situation. (I'm no expert, I'm just somebody who travels and moves around a lot and has friends who do the same.) How short a period of time are you staying? Weeks? Months? If Upwork wants you to verify your location in the UK, do you have anything official with your UK address? Does your visa allow you to work while you're in the UK? (If you were only allowed into the country to do charity work, then you need to check your status with UK Visas and Immigration. If you're staying for longer than a few weeks, you should ask them about your tax situation as well.)

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths