🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Pay freelancer only commission basis
Page options
a57114d3
Community Member

Pay freelancer only commission basis

Hi

i want to do job posting but i will only pay commission on sale basis for business development.

how cani do this?

i dont want to pay fixed or hourly

thank you

please help

3 REPLIES 3
kat303
Community Member

I may be wrong but I don't think commission payment is accepted here.as the Only way to pay a freelancer. It's very easy for a client to say they didn't sell anything therefore there won't be any payment for a freelancer. (not saying you would do this). You can pay commission but that would be on top/in addition to a regular fixed rate or hourly payment. 

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "i dont want to pay fixed or hourly"

Strictly speaking, using commission-based payment is NOT a violation of Upwork ToS.

HOWEVER:

Upwork does NOT have a "commission-only" payment method built into its user interface.

And Upwork does NOT allow clients to pay freelancers "off-platform." All payments MUST go through Upwork.

So in order to pay freelancers hired here using commission-based concepts, you are REQUIRED to use Upwork's four available payment methods:

- Hourly contract

- Fixed-price contract

- Bonus payments (which can be done using either fixed-price or hourly contracts)

- Set weekly salary (which is actually a retainer, which may be done as an add-on to an hourly contract)

If you understand how to use these methods of payment, and if you can arrange your commission-based pay to freelancers using these available tools, without violating any Upwork ToS, then yes... You MAY use Upwork to pay freelancers using commissino-based pay.

Typically what I have seen advised is that clients set a fixed-price contract and specify certain sales targets as milestones. But that is not the only way to do things.

If you do NOT want to use a fixed-price or hourly contract AT ALL, even if it means molding one of these to fit your needs, and if you require a dedicated interface for setting up a commision-only payment, then you will need to use one of the platforms available elsewhere for doing that. Because that is not one of Upwork's product offerings.

Thank you so much
Appreciate
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths