🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Pay question
Page options
lore-robin
Community Member

Pay question

I belong to a few freelance sites but I just finished my first gig here. I see that you took your cut right away, so why do I have to wait six days and until there's 100$ in my account to get paid? So you can collect my interest? I'm already paying a ten dollar monthly fee, plus you're getting a 20% cut of what I make. Does this not seem a greedy to you? Beacuse it sure seems greedy to me. I'm ok with the 20%, and even the "upgraded freelancer" fee, but I want my pay when I complete a job. That's how freelancing works and that's fair. I'm guessing clients posting jobs are also being charged a fee? You have no customer service, at all, so there's no overhead there. Also, I was wondering, are all the jobs actually real, or are some of them catfish, becuase I've been seeing a lot that have "please excuse any typos this was sent from my phone" for a lot of jobs posted that are supposed to look like they're from different customers. How many people actually type that when they add jobs from their phone? Plus, I'm not seeing a feature in the app for posting jobs. I didn't see that there was a different app for customers. Is there a different UI when you log in as a job poster? Or are they all posting from a phone browser? Just wondering.

3 REPLIES 3
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "why do I have to wait six days and until there's 100$ in my account to get paid?"

Your understanding of this is incorrect.

You do not need to wait like that.

As soon as you have any money in your "available" box, you may withdraw it.

You do not need to wait until there is $100 in your account.

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "So you can collect my interest?"

Upwork doesn't collect interest during the security hold period. The time delay allows Upwork to make sure that the money is not from a stolen credit card or fraudulent in some other way, thus protecting you from fees and clawbacks and such.

re: "I'm already paying a ten dollar monthly fee"

I don't pay a ten dollar monthly free. I use Upwork for free.

If you don't want to pay the fee, then don't. It is completely optional and most freelancers don't pay it.

petra_r
Community Member

@Robin L wrote:

1) I just finished my first gig here. I see that you took your cut right away,

2) so why do I have to wait six days and until there's 100$ in my account to get paid?

3) So you can collect my interest?

4) Does this not seem a greedy to you? Beacuse it sure seems greedy to me.

5) You have no customer service, at all, so there's no overhead there.

6) I've been seeing a lot that have "please excuse any typos this was sent from my phone" for a lot of jobs posted that are supposed to look like they're from different customers. How many people actually type that when they add jobs from their phone?

7) Plus, I'm not seeing a feature in the app for posting jobs. I didn't see that there was a different app for customers. Is there a different UI when you log in as a job poster?

1) Congratulations

2) The 6 days are a security hold and you do NOT have to wait until you have $ 100, you can withdraw any funds as soon as they move to the "Available" tab on your Reports Overview page by clicking on "Get Paid Now" on the Available tab.

3) No

4) Maybe finding out how something works before throwing accusations about in a public forum would be a good idea?

5) False

6) No, Upwork adds that automatically when a job is posted from a mobile device

7) Because you need to add a client account from the Settings page to create a client profile. Then you can toggle between the client side and the freelancer side of your account and use them both.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths