🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Paying "Registration Fee" to start workin...
Page options
f7fd0245
Community Member

Paying "Registration Fee" to start working

I am new to Upwork and the clients want me to pay them the "Registration Fee" for me to start working.

Do I need to pay the client to start working?

Is it a scam?

8 REPLIES 8
a_lipsey
Community Member

It is a scam. Also, make sure that you only communicate via Upwork messages until you have an Upwork contract, as communicating outside of Upwork (on SKype or Telegram) is against the TOS until you have a contract. 

NikolaS

Hi Mhel,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team for further review and appropriate action will be taken as per our internal processes. 

Please know that sharing contact information before a contract has started is against Upwork's Terms of Service and that all communications prior to the contract starting must take place on Upwork. A real client will never ask you to give them money to start working, cash a check for them, work for free, or provide your personal information.

You may want to check this thread and this help article to help you stay safe on Upwork. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
33b85f90
Community Member

**Edited for Community Guidelines** 

I also experience this.

**Edited for Community Guidelines** 

The irony. Scammers are looking for "reliable and trustworthy" freelancers as targets. Thank you for sharing with us, dear Jacklyn.

ca84217e
Community Member

I also experienced the same. 

But how long does it usually take for employers to reply because it's been 10 days from the time I started sending proposals and no one's replying back.

Within 12 - 24 hours at least, if you are not getting replies, then something is being done wrong, we can chit chat about your proposal process if you don’t mind.

You might want to start by looking at some Academy classes here Academy - Upwork Community

to learn how the platform works and complete your profile. Your title says «Freelancers». We are all freelancers.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths