🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Payment Dispute
Page options
themadwriters
Community Member

Payment Dispute

I got hired for a job, I submitted around 12 articles before Christmas. The client got unresponsive and closed the job. I have tried to contact him a few times but no reply, what should I do?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Zed,

I checked your account and can confirm that you haven't been hired on a official contract. In order to be eligible for our Upwork Payment Protection you will need to be hired on a official contract and fulfill the criteriums required.Upwork Payment Protection consists of two sub-programs: Protection for hourly contracts and fixed price contracts. 

I can also advise you to check out the Safety First section on this thread to learn more about protecting yourself. 
Could you also please send me a PM (click on my name) with more details about this and our team will investigate the client further. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Zed,

I checked your account and can confirm that you haven't been hired on a official contract. In order to be eligible for our Upwork Payment Protection you will need to be hired on a official contract and fulfill the criteriums required.Upwork Payment Protection consists of two sub-programs: Protection for hourly contracts and fixed price contracts. 

I can also advise you to check out the Safety First section on this thread to learn more about protecting yourself. 
Could you also please send me a PM (click on my name) with more details about this and our team will investigate the client further. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "what should I do?"

Because you were not paid for these articles, they are still your property.

You may feel free to post them in your portfolio, or sell them, or do anything you want with them.

But the most important thing for you to do is to learn from your mistake. Don't work for free again.

Hi
Thanks for prompt feedback, and no it wasn't t for free. We discussed the
rate.

re: "Thanks for prompt feedback, and no it wasn't t for free. We discussed the rate."

Yes, you worked for free.

Have you been paid? No.

Will you be paid? No.

So you worked for free.

You THOUGHT you were working to get paid. But in reality, you were working for free.

THIS IS A GOOD THING.

Because:

This experience will stand out boldly in your memory. It will help sharpen your focus. You will never make the same mistake again, which is that you WORKED WITHOUT A CONTRACT.

You have learned such an important lesson about how to work properly on Upwork! That knowledge is far more valuable than the amount of money the client had promised to pay you.

Makes sense, alright i will make sure i get "a contract" next time.

Zed just to be clear... You do not need to write a contract or create your own contract.

What we mean is you need an official Upwork contract. THAT means the client clicks the green "Hire" button, and then you click the green "Accept" button.

You will then see the contract listed under My Jobs.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths