🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Payment Unverified
Page options
mtspotlight
Community Member

Payment Unverified

Hi, I am new to Upwork. I have a question about Unverified Payment. I have been interviewed for a call based job and I have spoken directly to the recruiter for this position. The job seems legitimate no money upfront, I have pulled up the company Linkedin, profiles, and even BBB rating. With no red flag. The only red flag I am finding is that the Payment is Unverified. In this case, what is the best way to go about this job regarding that matter? I have not yet started work for him but hope to shortly. 

7 REPLIES 7
nkocendova
Community Member

Hi Melissa,

You won't be able to get paid until the client successfully completes the billing method verification, and will not be covered by Upwork Payment Protection until the billing method is verified. Therefore in general it is suggested to hold off on working until the client has completed this step.

~Nina

What would be the best way to request that their payment is verified before continuing?

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "The job seems legitimate no money upfront, I have pulled up the company Linkedin, profiles, and even BBB rating... The only red flag I am finding is that the Payment is Unverified. In this case"

This is a VERY BAD SIGN.

Scammers copy the names of companies that have LinkedIn accounts and BBB ratings.

Any legitimate client will make certain that her payment is verified.

DO NOT work or a client whose payment is unverified ESPECIALLY if you can google the company name and find them listed with BBB, LinkedIn, etc.

I trust clients who have little or no web presence much more than I would trust a scammer claiming to be from a big company with extensive web presence.

According to Linkedin, it states that it is a smaller business between 2-10 people. 

petra_r
Community Member

@Melissa C wrote:

Hi, I am new to Upwork. I have a question about Unverified Payment. I have been interviewed for a call based job and I have spoken directly to the recruiter for this position. The job seems legitimate no money upfront, I have pulled up the company Linkedin, profiles, and even BBB rating. With no red flag. The only red flag I am finding is that the Payment is Unverified. In this case, what is the best way to go about this job regarding that matter? I have not yet started work for him but hope to shortly. 

Is it real?Is it real?

re: "What would be the best way to request that their payment is verified before continuing?"

Joceyln:

Thank you for your invitation to work on this.

Please let me know when you have become payment verified for this Upwork contract. Then I will be able to start work.

Thank you. This helps.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths