🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Payment from Upwork
Page options
alexmclancy
Community Member

Payment from Upwork

Hi I just signed up for Upwork and before I submitted my first proposal, I was given the prompt saying "Only accept payment through Upwork.....receiving payment outside Upwork violates your user agreement."

That just means to not get payment from the client directly as regarding to a job I obtained through Upwork correct? I can still work for other companies and everything right? Sorry, I know it's a dumb question but I'd rather look dumb and know for sure.

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
mwiggenhorn
Community Member

Correct.  Any payments for anything on an Upwork contract MUST be made through the platform  They don't care about outside jobs.

Also, because you are new, remember that all contact with a potential client must be through the Upwork platform, which offers messaging, Zoom and video calls.  After a contract is in place, you and your client can communicate any way you wish.

How do I ensure that takes place? I'm contacted by the client via the
website initially correct?

Hi Alex,

That's correct! Upwork helps businesses and independent professionals find each other. All payments resulting from relationships that started on Upwork must be done through the platform. For some help getting started and more info about how it works, check our Freelancer Guide as well as our Resource Corner.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths