cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Payment of software and tracking device

Lynda Eunice D Member Since: Jan 4, 2017
1 of 8

Hi  I was offered a job by a health insurance company after the interview.  I was told that I had to pay $212 for 5 different software  which I thought rather strange.  As an accountant I work with only one software with different modules.  I was assured that this was the only cost.  Later on I was informed that I had to pay an additional $600 plus for tracking software which I could not afford and lost my money..  Is it normal for free lancers to bear these costs to get started

Community Guru
Kathryn B Member Since: Jul 22, 2015
BEST ANSWER
2 of 8

No, this is most certainly not normal.  It is also against UpWork's ToS, so I would suggest that you go back and report the job post.  This kind of scam is pretty prevalent in recent weeks.

~I am only here when I can tolerate having my eyes blasted, my privacy treated like a joke, and my temper pushed to it's limit. For all other times, please request alternate contact methods~
Lynda Eunice D Member Since: Jan 4, 2017
3 of 8

Who do I report this scam to?  I also had a second experience from **Edited for Community Guidelines** along the same terms.  I had to forego this job based on my first experience and refused to pay the money.  What I find common with these persons is that they say the money must be paid via western union or money gram.  This is a red flag for me.  In my opinion if an employer is engaging an employee, they should provide the necessary tools to get the work done.  How do I know who is genuine or not?

Community Guru
Christy A Member Since: Dec 30, 2015
4 of 8

A huge red flag is being offered, and accepting payment off the Upwork platform.  This puts you at significant financial risk and it's against Upwork's rules, as well.

Before you submit anymore proposals, I'd suggest that you really read up on how this platform works and how you can protect yourself.  

There is a stickied thread at the top of this very forum that will provide you a load of information...

Community Guru
Kathryn B Member Since: Jul 22, 2015
5 of 8

@Lynda Eunice D wrote:

Who do I report this scam to?  I also had a second experience from PPG Corporate Company along the same terms.  I had to forego this job based on my first experience and refused to pay the money.  What I find common with these persons is that they say the money must be paid via western union or money gram.  This is a red flag for me.  In my opinion if an employer is engaging an employee, they should provide the necessary tools to get the work done.  How do I know who is genuine or not?

If possible, find the original job post that you had applied to and flag it there.  The option is at the top right of every job post.  Also, you can drop a note to either Valeria K or Vladimir here on the forum to escalate the report.  

As for knowing who is genuine and who is not, that is fairly simple with these types.  If they want you to pay to work for them, it's against the site's ToS.  Automatic red flag.  Also, check the link mentioned by Christy A.  It's important to make sure you understand the ToS and all of the newer member information before moving forward.

~I am only here when I can tolerate having my eyes blasted, my privacy treated like a joke, and my temper pushed to it's limit. For all other times, please request alternate contact methods~
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
6 of 8

Lynda, I would suggest hiding any test scores that are below average.  I would also suggest that you remove "data entry" from your profile as that particular category seems to attract the most scammers.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
7 of 8

Hi Lynda Eunice,

It looks like the job you are referring to has already been removed by Upwork team and actions taken against the client's account. As others already pointed out on this thread, it's against Upwork ToS to offer or accept payments outside of Upwork.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
8 of 8

Let's break this down a bit...

re: "I was offered a job by a health insurance company"

No, you were not. There was no job. And the people you talked to were not a health insurance company. They were scammers who lied to you about who they were.

re: "I was told that I had to pay $212 for 5 different software which I thought rather strange. As an accountant I work with only one software with different modules."

You're right. Using five different accounting software packages for one job makes no sense. But even stranger is that the company was asking you to buy the software.

Freelancers come to Upwork to earn money, not to pay money to clients. That's all you really needed to hear to know this was a scam.

re: "Later on I was informed that I had to pay an additional $600 plus for tracking software which I could not afford and lost my money. Is it normal for free lancers to bear these costs to get started"

So it sounds like you actually paid these scammers some money, and the next thing they did was to ask for more money. Clearly there was never any job. I'm certain if you had paid them $600, they would have continued to ask for more money. They follow a script, and they're not really original.

You thought this was strange. It is actually all very typical scammer behavior.

In a way, it is a good thing that this happened to you, because this will really help to focus your mind and encourage you to learn how Upwork works. You saved time by not reading the instructions before working. But you made up for it in money lost and hard-won experience.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS