🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Payment refund from non performing freelancer...
Page options
Community Member

Payment refund from non performing freelancers.

Salam!

I am new here and this is my 2nd question.

I want to know what happens when I hire someone here and he doesn't work well but then he expects me to pay, or what if I pay for 1 or 2 weeks and later I realize the work delivered is not worth the money. Would I be refunded?

Is it possible that under performers remain unpaid or our money will be wasted as a cost of our mistake of hiring them?

Thank you so much.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

Murad:

Any thoughts about getting a refund from underperforming freelancers is only going to be harmful to your project and your business. Successful businesses don't have a concept of hiring people and then getting money back from them if they don't perform. That would mean focusing on the wrong things entirely.

Hire freelancers who will do a great job for your project. Monitor the work that freelancers do, especially early on in their participation on your project. QUICKLY identify underperforming freelancers and quickly stop working with them. You should EXPECT a certain percentage of freelancers to be underperforming or be a bad fit for your project. Look for them, and eliminate them from your team.

Continue working only with the freelancers who provide the most value to your project.

When you think about getting a "refund" from freelancers who did a bad job, then you elevate their importance above the importance of your project. Forget about those people. Don't let them drain your time, energy, and resources.

Put YOURSELF and YOUR PROJECT first.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
petra_r
Community Member

Murad A wrote:

I want to know what happens when I hire someone here and he doesn't work well but then he expects me to pay, or what if I pay for 1 or 2 weeks and later I realize the work delivered is not worth the money. Would I be refunded?

Is it possible that under performers remain unpaid or our money will be wasted as a cost of our mistake of hiring them?

Choose your freelancers carefully, pay them well, pick freelancers with a great history of successful projects, and keep a careful eye on them initially, looking at their work output early on.

But with hourly contracts, you are paying for the time spent working, not a specific work project. You are, of course, free to stop working with an underperforming freelancer at any time, so you can limit the hours you will have paid them.

Generally, you will not have those issues if you hire experienced professionals at professional prices and rates.

prestonhunter
Community Member

Murad:

Any thoughts about getting a refund from underperforming freelancers is only going to be harmful to your project and your business. Successful businesses don't have a concept of hiring people and then getting money back from them if they don't perform. That would mean focusing on the wrong things entirely.

Hire freelancers who will do a great job for your project. Monitor the work that freelancers do, especially early on in their participation on your project. QUICKLY identify underperforming freelancers and quickly stop working with them. You should EXPECT a certain percentage of freelancers to be underperforming or be a bad fit for your project. Look for them, and eliminate them from your team.

Continue working only with the freelancers who provide the most value to your project.

When you think about getting a "refund" from freelancers who did a bad job, then you elevate their importance above the importance of your project. Forget about those people. Don't let them drain your time, energy, and resources.

Put YOURSELF and YOUR PROJECT first.

Thanks again Preston and Petra, I do understand this mindset and have no wish to get a refund.

I only wanted to learn the system with upwork.

I am ok to risk a few hundred or thousand dollars in order to identify someone who can go with me a very long way.

Hope I find a marverlous team - may be Upwork Avengers 😉

kat303
Community Member

Murad A wrote:

Salam!

I am new here and this is my 2nd question.

Thank you so much.

On hourly contracts you are paying for the TIME the freelancer worked, Not for the work that was delivered. On hourly contracts you can dispute any screenshots that show hours recorded for work that is not yours. Such as hours showing the freelancer was playing games, not doing anything, reading and sending personal emails, surfing the internet and watching yoiutube videos. 

If you are not sure of the freelancer you can limit the number of hours for the first week or 2 and see what they are putting out and delivering to you. If things are going smoothly and the work is acceptable, you can gradually increase the hours. At the end of each week, you have something like 4 or 5 days to review the work/hours for that week. If you are not sure of what the results of your job are you can hire a project manager who can keep track of what's going on and who would be able to let you know if the work is doing what it's supposed to be doing. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths