🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: People are asking me to use my account
Page options
merigliano_v
Community Member

People are asking me to use my account

Hello,

it has happened to me on more than one occasion that people from other freelancing websites ask me to give them my UpWork account. I have never agreed to it as I do realise it could, and probably is, a scam.

I would like to understand why they do this. I'm curious.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Dioneda,

Thank you for reporting this to us. As it is against Upwork TOS to share or "rent" an account, we will forward this to the appropriate team to review and take action. Thank you for helping us keep Upwork a safe and trusted marketplace. For more information about our efforts, please see this Community post.
~ Nikola
Upwork

View solution in original post

322 REPLIES 322

Thank you very much could you help me contact freelancer.com so I could figure out -25$ with them.

This the guys profile that tried to scam me.

**Edited for community guidelines**

Can someone help me PLEASE! 

I acepted his work and somehow now my account balence is -25 dollars I didnt even do nothing.

This guy told you that he was planning to scam people, and you let him have access to your account in return for money. So you aren't the victim - you're a scammer, too. Upwork will ban your account, and you won't get your money back. Be thankful that you only lost $25, because it could have been much worse.

What is your age? You are under 18, right? Plus you don't have a real picture. Plus you allowed somebody else to use your account. You know where I'm going with this, right?

Why did you accept? I mean, what did you think they wanted your account
for?

I don't know how to help you. Maybe it's worthless, but try to contact
Freelancer and submit to the police all the information you have about the
guy. Maybe they can trace him somehow. It's not likely that you'll get your
money back, but it'll help other people.

Why help him?
He has a fake photo, possibly he is not of age and it has become clear that he is a scammer.
Just as the original scammer's account was banned, this freelancer's account must also be banned.
And like Christine said, at least he's only lost a little money.
We don't need more people like that.

re: "Maybe it's worthless, but try to contact Freelancer and submit to the police all the information you have about the guy. Maybe they can trace him somehow. It's not likely that you'll get your money back, but it'll help other people."

That other website is not going to do anything about this. It would be a waste of your time to try to contact them to help you get the $25 you feel you are owed.

Also: This is not a police matter. Your local police have a vital role to play in your community, but they don't police Upwork freelancing.

Read more here:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Clients/problem-solve-here-no-FTC-BBC-FBI-PD-etc/td-p/678783

My last accountant use my QuickBooks account also my cdtfa but then I check the company its looks like fake and there is linked account to each other please check my last propasal.

Thank you

Hi Ahmet,

I can see that you're already connected with our team via live chat as well. Feel free to share more details with our team directly there so that our team can assist you further. If there's anything else I can assist you with, let me know.
However, please keep in mind that posting private details publicly in our Community is not allowed. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi, I am new here. But I know someone who let me use his account. He has an agency and freelancer account.

He let me send proposals to the clients using his freelancer account. I think he is letting several people use his account.

Can I report this one?

Evgeniy R wrote:

Hi, I am new here. But I know someone who let me use his account. He has an agency and freelancer account.

He let me send proposals to the clients using his freelancer account. I think he is letting several people use his account.

Can I report this one?

Sure you can.

I appreciate your honesty. Rare indeed. 

Hi Evgeniy,

Could you please click on my name and send me a PM with more information about your report? I’ll check that for you and assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
jmlaidlaw
Community Member

@ Veronica --

They do this because (as you have guessed) they are low-life scammers.

If and when possible (that is, if these pond scum have any connections/links to UpWork), report them immediately.

aleksandrhovh
Community Member

@Veronica M wrote:

it could, and probably is, a scam.

How do you figure? Smiley Tongue

Ha ha.

(Aleksandr is being sarcastic.)

Of course, even if these "account borrowers" sincererely desire to use somebody's account in order to do good work for clients (which is a big IF, and probably NOT the case).... But even if that was the case...

Both the "borrower" and the real Upwork account holder would be guilty of "scamming Upwork."

It is against Upwork ToS for any Upwork user to let anybody else use their account.

Doing so is grounds for all people involved to have their accounts permanently terminated.

My question is can the access your personal information

Hi Eric,

Could you please share more details and clarify your question so that I can advise you accordingly? Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

So what would happen if i let them use my account through team viewer can they steal identity ? Or bank information

I would imagine that they can access any part of your computer they want if they are using any kind of remote desktop connection which it appears they are wanting to do, including installing software.

bobafett999
Community Member

@Veronica M wrote:

Hello,

it has happened to me on more than one occasion that people from other freelancing websites ask me to give them my UpWork account. I have never agreed to it as I do realise it could, and probably is, a scam.

I would like to understand why they do this. I'm curious.

Use common sense.  Why do you think a person who is total stranger suddenly is in love with your profile and use it?  If they really like it they can create an account and have more flattering profile than yours.  But they are asking you becasue they can't create a profile on Upwork.  Upwork locked the doors for them.

Why they can not create an account?

Great question.  I am about to ask that to the person who asked me to make an upwork account, lol.  Like, why do I have to make an account, why can't he make his own account with the country settings to where he desires? 😂  It's so much work to ask another person to do! 

Hi Megan, thank you for reporting this to us. As it is against Upwork TOS to share or "rent" an account, we'd like to forward this to the appropriate team to review and take action. Could you please click on my name above this post and send me a private message with more info so we could investigate further?

~Andrea
Upwork

Megan P wrote:

Great question.  I am about to ask that to the person who asked me to make an upwork account, lol.  Like, why do I have to make an account, why can't he make his own account with the country settings to where he desires? 😂  It's so much work to ask another person to do! 

You should not tell a person to create an account with any country he likes. You should know that that's not allowed, don't tell anybody that, not even a scammer. 

You don't play along with scammers for whatever reason you did that. You should know better. Even if you had fun with them, upwork might not see the humor and suspend your account. 

I just asked him to make his own account located in my country and he said this: 

Megan P wrote:

I just asked him to make his own account located in my country and he said this: 

Why do you keep communicating with this person?
He is a scammer and following the communication can make you think that you are too.
Andrea (mod) has already told you that they will investigate it and that you send her more information in a PM.

And btw they manipulate you saying you are pretty which has nothing to do with work or professionalism. I got messages from two users inn freelancer.com. Is there a way I can report them on freelancer ?

Hi Marina,

Could you please send me a PM with more information regarding your report? I'll share your report with the rest of our team for further investigation and appropriate actions will be taken according to our internal processes. Please, check this help article for more information on how to use the flag option to report any inappropriate content.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Hi, 

Someone approached me on linkedin asking me to create an account on upwork and he can use it to work.

I dont have an account on upwork, how can i report him?

regards

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Rami,

Could you please click on my name and send me a PM with more information about your report. I'll check that and escalate accordingly.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hi Bojan,

Great Day to you.

I am just writing these as i have been asked already for the 4th time.
Luckily i found these article let me know if where i could report these kind of people.
They are really growing specially all is working from home.
I hope this can be resolved by Upwork.

Thanks!

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Paul, 

If you are unable to file a ticket directly with the support team, you can send me a PM with more information so that I can report this to the team.

Thank you for flagging this here.

~ Avery
Upwork

Hi,

Could you please if the below proofile is legit? they are sending checks and asking to credit in the account with out any work done and closed out the req in the Upwork as well. Attached screenshot.

**Edited for community guidelines**

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Abby,

I've checked this for you and the job you're referring to has already been taken down because it was in violation of Upwork ToS and action has been taken on the client account. 

Please check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs and please use the flag option found on each job post or message anytime you’d like to report a violation.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork

Well, it's slighly more nuanced than that.  Because of some employers desire native english speakers or US based freelancers, those outside of these parameters may have trouble finding work.  It still an obvious slap-in-the-face kind of scam.  But folks should know- they will often deplore how difficult it is to get work as non-US or they may say that the US has some "really cool projects".  

e_luneborg
Community Member

No one has ever asked me to use my account, and I've never gotten any invites from scammers. I feel left out. 😞 

re: "No one has ever asked me to use my account"

The reports we are seeing about this come from freelancers who have been using Freelancer.com.

They are getting asked this over on that website. If you're not hanging out over there, you're not likely to have encountered this.

Theoretically the same kind of thing could happen here... But from what I recall, this wasn't something occuring on the Upwork site itself.

@Eve L wrote:

No one has ever asked me to use my account, and I've never gotten any invites from scammers. I feel left out. 😞 

Well we can't have that.  Can I use your account?  Petra with her photoshop skills can morph your face to resemble mine.

@Prashant P wrote:

@Eve L wrote:

Well we can't have that.  Can I use your account?  Petra with her photoshop skills can morph your face to resemble mine.

What's the point of that? Other freelancers/scammers are changing their pictures all the time. It's not like Upwork is checking if a woman becomes a man, or anything else really. 

Learning Paths