🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: People are asking me to use my account
Page options
merigliano_v
Community Member

People are asking me to use my account

Hello,

it has happened to me on more than one occasion that people from other freelancing websites ask me to give them my UpWork account. I have never agreed to it as I do realise it could, and probably is, a scam.

I would like to understand why they do this. I'm curious.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Dioneda,

Thank you for reporting this to us. As it is against Upwork TOS to share or "rent" an account, we will forward this to the appropriate team to review and take action. Thank you for helping us keep Upwork a safe and trusted marketplace. For more information about our efforts, please see this Community post.
~ Nikola
Upwork

View solution in original post

322 REPLIES 322
a8baa7ea
Community Member

I just made a mistake and gave my details to one guy 

he created a account on upwork using my details

and my account name is **Edited for Community Guidelines**, i need help to contact the admins or some one to get him banned and for me to able to delete that account from here please and thanks

Screen Shot 2020-01-27 at 12.31.16 PM.png

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Rani,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We'll share this with our team for their review and appropriate actions will be taken according to our internal processes.

~ Bojan
Upwork
joshbutch
Community Member

I've been chatting with a guy on LinkedIn Messenger about him using my account.  It's been a pretty convincing conversation.  The pitch is I would be acting as more of a manager - someone who would help them get jobs while having a team of software engineers and data scientists cranking out these projects.  I think my cut was something like 20%...

Point of this post - I've been chatting with this guy for over a week and he seems intelligent, funny, responsive, and overall on top of his game.  Keep your guard up because they are definitely becoming more refined and willing to put more time and effort into these scams.  Let your friends and family members know about this and the countless revisions of this scam that are inevitable for the duration of 2020. 

It's a crazy world, stay safe out there everyone!

lmorelato
Community Member

Are we supposed to report this kind of problem?

Hi Leandro,

Please note that due to our Community settings, new users will need to wait up to 2 hours in order to have the option to send private messages. After your Community rank updates from 'New Forum Member' to 'Active Member', could you please send me a private message with more information on your report so that I can send a report to our team for investigation?

Please, check this help article for more information on how to use the flag option to report any inappropriate content.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Please take a look with this guy
He just contact me from Linkedin

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Thank you for reporting this, Andriatomponiony,

Our team will investigate it further and take proper actions. 

~ Goran
Upwork
noyara17
Community Member

They are scammers!

lucile_dirry_h
Community Member

Hi eveyone,

someone, who just posted a project on freelancer.com and whose login name on freelancer.com is **Edited for Community Guidelines**, is reaching out to bidders thru Skype to convince them to use their upwork account, hence their PC.

Apparently, this guy is in **Edited for Community Guidelines**

Please beware. Best regards.

Hi Lucile,

Thank you for sharing this helpful information with us. Also, I'd like to let you know that if you see a job or invitation that looks suspicious or inappropriate, you can flag it using the flagging option found on every job post or Upwork profile. This sends a notification directly to Upwork, allowing us to investigate and take the appropriate measures. You can read more on this help article and, please check out the Tips to avoid questionable jobs as well. I've shared this with the team. If you would like to share more information regarding this, please feel free to send me a PM by clicking on my name. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
af2a1b0e
Community Member

I also have been scammed today on LinkedIn. Some scammer want to take my upwork account and propose me money for it, but I just report him and delete him from my connections.

11650c4c
Community Member

I was redirected from Fiverr with a request to create an UpWork account. I thought they wanted to pay me through that, but then asked to use the account... I wish someone could reach out and smack him. He's still chatting at me on Google Hangouts. These people are leeches on society...

Morgan K wrote:

I was redirected from Fiverr with a request to create an UpWork account. I thought they wanted to pay me through that, but then asked to use the account... I wish someone could reach out and smack him. He's still chatting at me on Google Hangouts. These people are leeches on society...

So stop chatting. These people may be leeches, but you went along with it and encouraged them. 

1cd7f815
Community Member

Well --- I literally just got a request from Fivver.com via PM.  He sent me a link to a Google Doc.  The scammer just wrote:

====BEGIN GOOGLE DOC===

**Edited for community guidelines**

===END GOOGLE DOC===

Well, this guy is right that I'm not going to try and get in contact with him.  Anyone reading this thread, if you get a similar offer, I cannot emphasize enough that no good will come following up with such an offer.

I hope this gets investigated, I got contacted by this developer on linkedin: **Edited for Community Guidelines**

He asked me about my expertises and I hoped he was asking because a job offer because profile and company look very real.

He wanted to "borrow" my account, I sent him to hell and laughed because he reported me here who knows about what.

Please do something about this, thank you!

Hi Nicolas,

Thanks for reporting this to us! Could you please send me a private message with more information on this including the screenshots so that I can send a report to the team for investigation?

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Thanks Aleksandar for your quick reply. Sent you the required details (most of it because I blocked and only captured a little bit), hope is enough.

mikhapro7
Community Member

Hi, my name is Mikhail and new developer on upwork.

Last evening, I got interesting several invitations on **edited for Community Guidelines** that they want to rent my account and he can pay $100 monthly.

When they contacted to me, they act as a client and wanted to see my upwork profile and I sent due to they could hire me on upwork.

But after some discussions, they asked my account.

I rejected their requests but I am really worried with my account.

Maybe they have client accounts on upwork and can do terrible activies on my account.

What I have to do?

Need your help.

I get a few of these a month. Report them on the other site and then ignore them. If they contacted you through UW's chat, report them here too.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Mikhail, 

I would appreciate it if you can send a screengrab of your conversation with this freelancer through a private message, as well as a link to their profile on the other platform so that I can file a report, and the team can investigate it further. 

Thank you for sharing it here.

~ Avery
Upwork
codes4u
Community Member

The same things happen to me too.

Hi Mijula,

Could you please send me a PM with more information so I can check this for you? You can Pm me by clicking on my name. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork

same thing happened with me. This guy contacted me first on LinkedIn and asked me if I use skype. All looked like a simple conversation. But Omce we started talking on skype, He showed up his fraud idea. please check the conversation attached.

Hi Vicky,

Could you please click on my name and send me a PM with more information about your report. I'll be sure to escalate it accordingly.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork

Someone asked me that he wants to rent his upwork account, but he requested some percentage of my income. Is this a right way for me?

What do you mean by Upwork account rent?

So what happened? What are you trying to report?

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jason,

I would like to confirm that Upwork users are not allowed to share their accounts with anybody as it is a violation of the Upwork ToS

You can click on my name and send me a PM with more information about your report. I'll check that further and escalate accordingly.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
giuliagc
Community Member

Hi, I was not able to send a PM , but today I was approched by someone on my linkedin account in order to let them use my upwork account, they provided a lot of information claiming that they are from "China". I reported the message on linkedin as a scam.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, Giulia.

You can click on my name and send me a PM with more information about this report. I'll be sure to escalate it accordingly.

~ Bojan
Upwork
flowmar
Community Member

I also was not able to send a PM, but I have 2 people who have approached me within the past 2 days on LinkedIn that are asking me to use my Upwork account using TeamViewer.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Omar,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Could you please click on my name and send me a PM with more information about your report. I'll be sure to escalate it accordingly.

~ Bojan
Upwork
camposenrique
Community Member

Why would you let someone you don't even know use ANY of your accounts at all? Scammers do not surprise me much, but people who get scammed do. Especially when the scam is so obvious. I mean, I don't want to pretend that I'm smarter than the rest, I am not, but sometimes you wonder what are people thinking when they agree to take part on this kind of "deals". I can only think they're also going for the easy money too... And then I don't feel sorry for them anymore. 

adnantiro
Community Member

Hello everyone,

I was recently contacted by a person on LinkedIn (**Edited for Community Guidelines**) with a business proposition. It turns out these people claim to rent your Upwork account and use it through teamviewer. They have a completely false story how they need accounts to start more contracts which just does not make any sense. I just wanted to let people know so that they don't get caught up in these types of scams.

The e-mail this person used: **Edited for Community Guidelines**

I have also attached a screenshot of the "business proposition".

Best,

Adnan.

Hi Adnan,

Thank you for reporting this. Our team will investigate it further and take proper actions. 

~ Goran
Upwork

Thank you for the heads-up I am actually buying connects every now and then and I hope not to find client like this >.< anyways Gos bless.

Hannah Raissa M wrote:

Thank you for the heads-up I am actually buying connects every now and then and I hope not to find client like this.

They aren't clients, they are freelancers and you probably won't. They go after US or European owned accounts.

negrucatalin
Community Member

Hi.

So, I see that the Chinese programmer scam is quite frequent.

A Chinese attempts to do the same scam with me as well. I did not give him anything yet...

So, my question for the security staff at Upwork is: would you like to study or catch my guy? I can let him impersonate me though my account and you can monitor him...

If anyone there is interested, please contact me in the a day or so... I need to give him an answer if I want to let him impersonate me here or not...

Thank you.

Hi Catalin, 

I would like to confirm that sharing your account information with someone else is a grave violation of the Upwork TOS. As such, I would recommend against allowing someone else to access and use your account to avoid having your account suspended. 

If you would want to share more information about the person who reached out to you, you can send me a PM so that I can investigate this further.

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths