cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

People are asking me to use my account

Veronica M Member Since: Jun 25, 2018
1 of 42

Hello,

it has happened to me on more than one occasion that people from other freelancing websites ask me to give them my UpWork account. I have never agreed to it as I do realise it could, and probably is, a scam.

I would like to understand why they do this. I'm curious.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
BEST ANSWER
2 of 42

re: "I would like to understand why they do this. I'm curious."

Those people from Freelancer.com are scammers.

They want to use your account in order to scam people... They want to get jobs with clients and bill clients, get some money, without doing any real work.

Then when the clients report the freelancer... It is YOUR account that is shut down. The scammer gets away with money and you get punished.

Gabor M Member Since: Aug 1, 2019
3 of 42

I never used upwork, someone approached me on freelancer.com to register an account and let him use it THROUGH MY COMPUTER ON TEAMVIEW as allegedly he could only log in for european IP address. Being afraid of giving out personal details I turned him down but I'm still curious. Could he access any data while I can track his movement on my screen when using teamview? 

Community Guru
Janean L Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
4 of 42

@ Veronica --

They do this because (as you have guessed) they are low-life scammers.

If and when possible (that is, if these pond scum have any connections/links to UpWork), report them immediately.

Community Leader
Aleksandr H Member Since: Jan 29, 2017
5 of 42

@Veronica M wrote:

it could, and probably is, a scam.

How do you figure? Smiley Tongue

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 42

Ha ha.

(Aleksandr is being sarcastic.)

Of course, even if these "account borrowers" sincererely desire to use somebody's account in order to do good work for clients (which is a big IF, and probably NOT the case).... But even if that was the case...

Both the "borrower" and the real Upwork account holder would be guilty of "scamming Upwork."

It is against Upwork ToS for any Upwork user to let anybody else use their account.

Doing so is grounds for all people involved to have their accounts permanently terminated.

Eric R Member Since: Oct 2, 2019
7 of 42
My question is can the access your personal information
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
8 of 42

Hi Eric,

Could you please share more details and clarify your question so that I can advise you accordingly? Thank you.

Untitled
Community Guru
Prashant P Member Since: Sep 29, 2015
9 of 42

@Veronica M wrote:

Hello,

it has happened to me on more than one occasion that people from other freelancing websites ask me to give them my UpWork account. I have never agreed to it as I do realise it could, and probably is, a scam.

I would like to understand why they do this. I'm curious.

Use common sense.  Why do you think a person who is total stranger suddenly is in love with your profile and use it?  If they really like it they can create an account and have more flattering profile than yours.  But they are asking you becasue they can't create a profile on Upwork.  Upwork locked the doors for them.

Fatima A Member Since: Sep 19, 2019
10 of 42
Why they can not create an account?
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS