Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

People are asking me to use my account

Highlighted
Veronica M Member Since: Jun 25, 2018
1 of 135

Hello,

it has happened to me on more than one occasion that people from other freelancing websites ask me to give them my UpWork account. I have never agreed to it as I do realise it could, and probably is, a scam.

I would like to understand why they do this. I'm curious.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
BEST ANSWER
2 of 135

re: "I would like to understand why they do this. I'm curious."

Those people from Freelancer.com are scammers.

They want to use your account in order to scam people... They want to get jobs with clients and bill clients, get some money, without doing any real work.

Then when the clients report the freelancer... It is YOUR account that is shut down. The scammer gets away with money and you get punished.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Gabor M Member Since: Aug 1, 2019
3 of 135

I never used upwork, someone approached me on freelancer.com to register an account and let him use it THROUGH MY COMPUTER ON TEAMVIEW as allegedly he could only log in for european IP address. Being afraid of giving out personal details I turned him down but I'm still curious. Could he access any data while I can track his movement on my screen when using teamview? 

Highlighted
Leandro S Member Since: Oct 16, 2020
4 of 135

same thing just happened to me. What's this all about?

Highlighted
Joanne Marie P Moderator Member Since: Nov 26, 2017
5 of 135

Hi Leandro,

Could you please send me a PM with more information so I can look into this for you? Please click on my name to send me a PM. Thank you. 

-Joanne
Untitled
Highlighted
Bradley M Member Since: Oct 17, 2020
6 of 135

I just got this request today too, but from China 

Highlighted
Aleksandar D Moderator Member Since: Mar 23, 2019
7 of 135

Hi Bradley,

I'm sorry to hear about what happened. Could you please send me a private message with more information on your report along with the screenshots so that I can check and assist you further?

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Untitled
Highlighted
Felipe G Member Since: Aug 11, 2020
8 of 135

"Those people from**Edited for community guidelines**are scammers."

According your opinion, The honestly man who are going to work with some skill for surviving are ALL SCAMMER? You are very bad mind. Woman FrustratedCat FrustratedMan FrustratedSmiley Frustrated

Highlighted
Enrique C Member Since: Jul 28, 2020
9 of 135

Well, in my opinion it's never a fair business to get a percentage off somebody's work just for getting him/her in touch with employers/clients. The bigger that percentage gets, the more unethical your business is. Yeah, they run their websites and that means expenses, but that's not worth 10% or 15% of every freelancer's fees. They're not managers and we're not footballers. We manage ourselves. Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
10 of 135

re: "in my opinion it's never a fair business to get a percentage off somebody's work just for getting him/her in touch with employers/clients. The bigger that percentage gets, the more unethical your business is. Yeah, they run their websites and that means expenses, but that's not worth 10% or 15% of every freelancer's fees. They're not managers and we're not footballers. We manage ourselves."

Enrique:
Why do you maintain a freelancer profile on a website which uses unfair business practices and is unethical?