cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

People are asking me to use my account

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
91 of 179

It's good to know that you recognized it as a red flag, John. You can send the profiles, and some screen grabs of the messages you received to me through a private message, and I will look into this further.

-Avery
Untitled
anderson-jacob
Jacob Ammon A Member Since: Oct 10, 2019
92 of 179

I just wanted to thow in that I received an offer this mornig for 200/month for my Upwork account (which i haven't been on in years) from a message on Fiverr. Not going with it, but apparently they're coming from more places than Freelancer.com

bstojadinovic
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
93 of 179

Hi Jacob Ammon,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Could you please send me a PM with more information about your report. I'll gladly escalate it to the team for the investigation.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Untitled
prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
94 of 179

re: "I got approached today on Freelancer.com

BY 6 DIFFERENT PEOPLE to register an account on Upwork for them."

Don't go to that website.

Problem solved.

davidgerrells
David G Member Since: Aug 7, 2015
95 of 179

Scam Alert!

It all started with some random person through LinkedIn hitting me up for access to my Upwork account. They claimed to be a Paris based top notch React and back end master with 12 years of industry experience despite having ZERO proof. Names through LinkedIn and Skype were totally different, their grammar was abysmal, clearly a con artist to say the least.

The claim made was that they would get $50-60 an hour programming gigs and pay me 10% just for the privilege of using my account. What a deal, right?! Just give them complete remote access to my laptop through TeamViewer, review my Upwork account, check out the payment methods through Paypal, you get the point.

I asked for references, an Upwork account url, anything at all to further vet their identity other than what was clearly a scam LinkedIn profile. Pretty lazy effort if you ask me. They even claimed to be migrating to China forever! Come on man!

Anyways, this is clearly rampant and a real threat to legitimate people so watch your back and DO NOT TRUST anyone wanting to share your account! Not only can they hack your personal info but get your account deleted.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
96 of 179

David:
I appreciate your taking the time to share your first-hand account of what happened.

But why do you start out your story by saying you were the "victim" of a scam.

It sounds like you pretty much knew right from the start that this was a scam. And you didn't go along with any of this.

You already clearly know that participating in this sort of activity - in any way - is risky and also a serious violation of Upwork ToS.

You were the "mark." But you didn't fall for the scam. So you were not a victim in any way as far as I can tell from your story.

a_lipsey
Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
97 of 179

David G wrote:

Ive been a victim of an online scam and hopefully can relay the experience to other decent Upwork professionals so they dont suffer the same fate.

It all started with some random person through LinkedIn hitting me up for access to my Upwork account. They claimed to be a Paris based top notch React and back end master with 12 years of industry experience despite having ZERO proof. Names through LinkedIn and Skype were totally different, their grammar was abysmal, clearly a con artist to say the least.

The claim made was that they would get $50-60 an hour programming gigs and pay me 10% just for the privilege of using my account. What a deal, right?! Just give them complete remote access to my laptop through TeamViewer, review my Upwork account, check out the payment methods through Paypal, you get the point.

I asked for references, an Upwork account url, anything at all to further vet their identity other than what was clearly a scam LinkedIn profile. Pretty lazy effort if you ask me. They even claimed to be migrating to China forever! Come on man!

Anyways, this is clearly rampant and a real threat to legitimate people so watch your back and DO NOT TRUST anyone wanting to share your account! Not only can they hack your personal info but get your account deleted.

How were you a victim?

facostarainis
Federico A Member Since: Feb 3, 2020
98 of 179

Thanks for the warning. Something very similiar happen to me today. 

He got my email address fron LinkedIn, and worte this email to me:

**Edited for community guidelines**

bstojadinovic
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
99 of 179

Hi Federico,

Thank you for reporting this to us. If you have any additional information, please click on my name and send me a PM and will update our team with it to help their investigation.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Untitled
chaelyc
Chaely C Member Since: Mar 10, 2020
100 of 179

Are you still looking for cases of people trying to remote into poeple's computers? I wasn't able to send a PM, but I just had someone reach out on Fiverr from europe claiming to be "wong from china" who provided a bunch of contact info in  **Edited for Community Guidelines** He says they have an Upwork profile. I reported the message as spam on Fiverr, but I suspect they're creeping around this platform, too.