Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

People are asking me to use my account

Highlighted
Abby Y Member Since: Apr 6, 2020
41 of 135

Hi,

Could you please if the below proofile is legit? they are sending checks and asking to credit in the account with out any work done and closed out the req in the Upwork as well. Attached screenshot.

**Edited for community guidelines**

Highlighted
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
42 of 135

Hi Abby,

I've checked this for you and the job you're referring to has already been taken down because it was in violation of Upwork ToS and action has been taken on the client account. 

Please check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs and please use the flag option found on each job post or message anytime you’d like to report a violation.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Untitled
Highlighted
Hunter W Member Since: Mar 24, 2020
43 of 135

Well, it's slighly more nuanced than that.  Because of some employers desire native english speakers or US based freelancers, those outside of these parameters may have trouble finding work.  It still an obvious slap-in-the-face kind of scam.  But folks should know- they will often deplore how difficult it is to get work as non-US or they may say that the US has some "really cool projects".  

Highlighted
Community Guru
Eve L Member Since: Feb 17, 2017
44 of 135

No one has ever asked me to use my account, and I've never gotten any invites from scammers. I feel left out. Smiley Sad 

Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
45 of 135

re: "No one has ever asked me to use my account"

The reports we are seeing about this come from freelancers who have been using Freelancer.com.

They are getting asked this over on that website. If you're not hanging out over there, you're not likely to have encountered this.

Theoretically the same kind of thing could happen here... But from what I recall, this wasn't something occuring on the Upwork site itself.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Prashant P Member Since: Sep 29, 2015
46 of 135

@Eve L wrote:

No one has ever asked me to use my account, and I've never gotten any invites from scammers. I feel left out. Smiley Sad 

Well we can't have that.  Can I use your account?  Petra with her photoshop skills can morph your face to resemble mine.

Highlighted
Community Guru
47 of 135

@Prashant P wrote:

@Eve L wrote:

Well we can't have that.  Can I use your account?  Petra with her photoshop skills can morph your face to resemble mine.

What's the point of that? Other freelancers/scammers are changing their pictures all the time. It's not like Upwork is checking if a woman becomes a man, or anything else really. 

Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
48 of 135

Eve L wrote:

Well, your chance is passed, no matter how painful your FOMO is. You have a great JSS, a long upwork history, and seem to be a serious professional. You don't even live in the US, so they won't even send you checks! 

Highlighted
Community Guru
49 of 135

Martina P wrote:

Eve L wrote:

Well, your chance is passed, no matter how painful your FOMO is. You have a great JSS, a long upwork history, and seem to be a serious professional. You don't even live in the US, so they won't even send you checks! 

Lol. Checks. Smiley LOL

Considering banks in Norway don't have any cash, I'm not sure what I could do with a check, other than frame it and hang it on the wall. 

Lael A Member Since: Dec 9, 2019
50 of 135

Eve L wrote:

Martina P wrote:

Eve L wrote:

Lol. Checks. Smiley LOL

Considering banks in Norway don't have any cash, I'm not sure what I could do with a check, other than frame it and hang it on the wall. 

Banks don't need to have cash to accept checks... as long as they have money.