🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » People are asking me to use my account
Page options
merigliano_v
Community Member

People are asking me to use my account

Hello,

it has happened to me on more than one occasion that people from other freelancing websites ask me to give them my UpWork account. I have never agreed to it as I do realise it could, and probably is, a scam.

I would like to understand why they do this. I'm curious.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Dioneda,

Thank you for reporting this to us. As it is against Upwork TOS to share or "rent" an account, we will forward this to the appropriate team to review and take action. Thank you for helping us keep Upwork a safe and trusted marketplace. For more information about our efforts, please see this Community post.
~ Nikola
Upwork

View solution in original post

322 REPLIES 322

Ayush T wrote:

yes but the new upwork freelancers are not aware of TOS due to excitment and also they need money so this is important.

An hour reading the ToS is time well spent. It could save you thousands in thwarted scams.

Robert Y wrote:

Ayush T wrote:

yes but the new upwork freelancers are not aware of TOS due to excitment and also they need money so this is important.

An hour reading the ToS is time well spent. It could save you thousands in thwarted scams.

And save your upwork profile, since there's only one shot at that. 

Ayush T wrote:

I'm not saying you don't have the best intentions. These scams are prevalent on platforms such as this or the internet in general, and most often the people who fall for them don't read the forum threads first, or the ToS. I simply can't put myself into the mindset where I would: 1. Believe the flimsy explanation why the person can't have their own account, and 2. Think that it's a great way to earn money to give a stranger access to my computer. 

Martina P wrote:

Ayush T wrote:

I'm not saying you don't have the best intentions. These scams are prevalent on platforms such as this or the internet in general, and most often the people who fall for them don't read the forum threads first, or the ToS. I simply can't put myself into the mindset where I would: 1. Believe the flimsy explanation why the person can't have their own account, and 2. Think that it's a great way to earn money to give a stranger access to my computer. 

Two kinds of people I didn't know existed in the world till I came on this forum:

Those with the chutzpah to ask to use a stranger's computer and/or Upwork account.

Those stupid enough to let them.

Hi Ayush,

Thanks for taking the time to report this! Could you please send me a private message with the screenshots of the conversation so that I can send a report to the team for investigation?

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

I just got sort of the same thing where they were claiming they worked with a blacklisted client and were shut down by upwork but same thing wanted to use my pc with my account via anydesk. I am a computer technician and would not trust anyone to remote pc my computer even if it was true as they have access to everything on your pc then. Thanks for posting

iledarn
Community Member

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

iledarn
Community Member

He initially contacted me on LinkedIn. **Edited for Community Guidelines** - his name there and in Telegram. Phone number - **Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hi Ildar,

Thanks for reporting this! I'll share all with the team for investigation and appropriate actions will be taken according to our internal processes.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
2e904c65
Community Member

Someone asked me to do this from Ukraine a few days ago (October 2021), over skype.  He says all his clients are from the US but he can't make a US account to see their job postings on upwork.  

5e81e4ea
Community Member

Hi,

How are you?

I report upwork scammer.

Shared photo.

Hope close this account.

Thanks

Hi Ashlynn,

Thank you for reporting this to us. As it is against Upwork TOS to share or "rent" an account, we will forward this to the appropriate team to review and take action. Thank you for helping us keep Upwork a safe and trusted marketplace. For more information about our efforts, please see this Community announcement.

~ Nikola
Upwork
3749458e
Community Member

Hi Guys, a person message me on gmail asking if he could my account on upwork? what do i do? i think its a scam though..

Don't do it.

You are seriously asking this?

this is the message i captured..

Hi Dioneda,

Thank you for reporting this to us. As it is against Upwork TOS to share or "rent" an account, we will forward this to the appropriate team to review and take action. Thank you for helping us keep Upwork a safe and trusted marketplace. For more information about our efforts, please see this Community post.
~ Nikola
Upwork
50f2498c
Community Member

I found another profile to rent upwork profile

And I attach the similar screenshots of this profile

Markos Spyridon G wrote:

I found another profile to rent upwork profile

https: //www.upwork.com/* *************************

And I attach the similar screenshots of this profile

Delete the images and the link to the profile. You cannot expose profile information here.
I don't care if he's a bad boy. You should'nt do it.

Hi Markos Spydridon,

Maria's correct! Including names of persons or companies (or other identifying information) in an accusation of misconduct, incompetence, or other wrongdoing is not allowed. You can always report this information directly to Upwork if you suspect an issue, but posting it in Community is not appropriate.

We truly appreciate you reporting this. I've shared your report with the team for further review. They will surely look into this and take action accordingly if necessary. We also encourage you to let us know if a TOS violation has happened by using the Flag as Inappropriate option throughout the platform. You can learn more about user reporting here.

~ Arjay
Upwork

Arjay M wrote:

Hi Markos Spydridon,

Maria's correct! Including names of persons or companies (or other identifying information) in an accusation of misconduct, incompetence, or other wrongdoing is not allowed. You can always report this information directly to Upwork if you suspect an issue, but posting it in Community is not appropriate.

We truly appreciate you reporting this. I've shared your report with the team for further review. They will surely look into this and take action accordingly if necessary. We also encourage you to let us know if a TOS violation has happened by using the Flag as Inappropriate option throughout the platform. You can learn more about user reporting here.

Arjay, thanks for giving me the reason, but..., you forgot to edit the post and the information is still there!

3a5fd0bd
Community Member

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

 .this people outside upwork are inviting people to make client account. .

When freelancer sign up on Upwork, they agree to not communicate outside Upwork before a contract is in place. You need to stop communicating with them.

0bbff07a
Community Member

How did the client take the conversation outside of Upwork?
The only way is if you have given them a link to do it or they have given you one.
Both of these things are not allowed until you have a contract established on Upwork.
I've seen another post from you that confirms that you are communicating outside of Upwork. Stop doing it.
I assume you haven't read the TOS or anything that is or isn't allowed. Read this, everything, links included:
- https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/To-all-freelancers-looking-for-help/m-p/1230482#M734358

- https://community.upwork.com/t5/Community-Blog/Top-Red-Flags-for-Scams-From-Community-Member-Wes-C/b...

39a0e3a0
Community Member

hi, just now. I experienced someone wanted to get my user id and password

Hi Mary joy,

Thanks for reaching out. We'd like to check on this for you. Could you please share more information for our reference?

~ Joanne
Upwork
86a30372
Community Member

I have been recieving many requests to help certain freelancers create account on outlier since account creation in their location is unavailable. They are ready to pay some amount of money. Is this a scam?

Basically, in addition to it being stupid to access, what they are asking you for is against Upwork's TOS.
You would do well to read them to be minimally safe.
Maybe you should contact CS and get them the info on those people.
You should also read this post, it will help you with scams:
- https://community.upwork.com/t5/Community-Blog/Top-Red-Flags-for-Scams-From-Community-Member-Wes-C/b...
And if you're new here, read this one too:
- https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/To-all-freelancers-looking-for-help/m-p/1230482#M734358

leptium
Community Member

Hello there.

In this week I received two "deals" in this way. Of course I refused this situation. THANK YOU FOR YOUR clearly explanations. 

Greetings from South America.

misszawadi
Community Member

Hi guys, when someone asks to use your upwork account promising to offer a certain percentage of the earnings, is it safe to accept or is this some kind of elaborate scam? 

No, for a number of reasons. 1) Your account will be permanently banned, since account sharing is strictly forbidden. 2) You'll be working with scammers who were kicked off Upwork themselves, or at best, want to fake their location. 3) Everything they do will be under your name. You'll be liable for any clients they rip off or any rules that they break. Even if they earn money and give you a percentage, you'll be responsible for declaring the whole amount in your taxes, not just your cut. 

If someone offers you money and you don't have to do much, if anything, to earn it, it's safe to say that something's up.

Christine A wrote:

If someone offers you money and you don't have to do much, if anything, to earn it, it's safe to say that something's up.

Yes to everything, especially that piece.

It's good idea to get to know the types of scams are circulating, and this is an article that covers most of the known scams.

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Community-Blog/Top-Red-Flags-for-Scams-From-Community-Member-Wes-C/b...

Also, at some point you really should read the legal pages because you're agreeing to what's in them every time you take a contract.

https://www.upwork.com/legal

Probably the most assessible place to start is the Terms of Use. This tells you what you can and can't do on the platform.

Hi Loyce,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I would like to let you know that it is against Upwork Terms of Service to share or "rent" an account. For more information about our efforts, please see this Community post.

~ Nikola
Upwork
jorgensons
Community Member

Yesterday, I received an email from someone who seemed to be a client, so I asked for project details to determine if I'd be a good fit. (To be clear: this email came via my website contact form, so I wasn't engaging with a potential Upwork client/violating TOS.)  It turned out that the "client" is actually a freelancer in Bangladesh who wants to "rent" my Upwork profile (and any other freelancer profiles I have). He wants to pose as a US or UK freelancer so he can have access to better jobs and earn more money. I'm not sure of the best way to report this to Upwork -- nor do I know what Upwork can realistically do about it -- but I want to make the team aware of it. Mods, please let me know the proper way to report this. The email text appears below. I won't list the person's name or address, but I'd be happy to provide that information through the proper channels.

Hi Signe,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Could you please click on my name and send me a PM with more information about the client you are referring to? I will be sure to look into your report and escalate it accordingly.

~ Nikola
Upwork
45902f60
Community Member

Hello,

Same here. Started me via Linkedin. I was offered 200$ per month to rent the account.

a34f72ae
Community Member

Hello support team!

I got a great offer that can rent an upwork account from someone else.

He has required $150 for the first month and 10% revenue of my income, and he required me to pay via Payoneer or Crypto, not via paypal.

Actually, this is really great opportunity, so I want to rent this account.

And here is some screenshots for our chat history.

Can I buy or rent this account?

Can I use this account?

I would like to build amazing relationship with him.

Please guide me if it's possible or not.

Thank you!

Hi Juan, thank you for reporting this to us. As it is against Upwork TOS to share or "rent" an account, we will forward this to the appropriate team to review and take action. Thank you for helping us keep Upwork a safe and trusted marketplace. For more information about our efforts, please see this Community post.

~Andrea
Upwork
e42567dd
Community Member

Hi I need help someone through indeed hired me too post picture of real estate houses found it wierd ok but now he says too creat a Upwork account with my name but I still had too put my number he wants me too post something on the description about needing people to help him but like it's me writing it but he told me to put his number am skeptical about this what can go wrong ?

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths