re: "I got approached today on Freelancer.com

BY 6 DIFFERENT PEOPLE to register an account on Upwork for them."

Don't go to that website.

Problem solved.

Highlighted
David G Member Since: Aug 7, 2015
82 of 135

Scam Alert!

It all started with some random person through LinkedIn hitting me up for access to my Upwork account. They claimed to be a Paris based top notch React and back end master with 12 years of industry experience despite having ZERO proof. Names through LinkedIn and Skype were totally different, their grammar was abysmal, clearly a con artist to say the least.

The claim made was that they would get $50-60 an hour programming gigs and pay me 10% just for the privilege of using my account. What a deal, right?! Just give them complete remote access to my laptop through TeamViewer, review my Upwork account, check out the payment methods through Paypal, you get the point.

I asked for references, an Upwork account url, anything at all to further vet their identity other than what was clearly a scam LinkedIn profile. Pretty lazy effort if you ask me. They even claimed to be migrating to China forever! Come on man!

Anyways, this is clearly rampant and a real threat to legitimate people so watch your back and DO NOT TRUST anyone wanting to share your account! Not only can they hack your personal info but get your account deleted.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
83 of 135

David:
I appreciate your taking the time to share your first-hand account of what happened.

But why do you start out your story by saying you were the "victim" of a scam.

It sounds like you pretty much knew right from the start that this was a scam. And you didn't go along with any of this.

You already clearly know that participating in this sort of activity - in any way - is risky and also a serious violation of Upwork ToS.

You were the "mark." But you didn't fall for the scam. So you were not a victim in any way as far as I can tell from your story.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
84 of 135

David G wrote:

Ive been a victim of an online scam and hopefully can relay the experience to other decent Upwork professionals so they dont suffer the same fate.

It all started with some random person through LinkedIn hitting me up for access to my Upwork account. They claimed to be a Paris based top notch React and back end master with 12 years of industry experience despite having ZERO proof. Names through LinkedIn and Skype were totally different, their grammar was abysmal, clearly a con artist to say the least.

The claim made was that they would get $50-60 an hour programming gigs and pay me 10% just for the privilege of using my account. What a deal, right?! Just give them complete remote access to my laptop through TeamViewer, review my Upwork account, check out the payment methods through Paypal, you get the point.

I asked for references, an Upwork account url, anything at all to further vet their identity other than what was clearly a scam LinkedIn profile. Pretty lazy effort if you ask me. They even claimed to be migrating to China forever! Come on man!

Anyways, this is clearly rampant and a real threat to legitimate people so watch your back and DO NOT TRUST anyone wanting to share your account! Not only can they hack your personal info but get your account deleted.

How were you a victim?

Highlighted
Federico A Member Since: Feb 3, 2020
85 of 135

Thanks for the warning. Something very similiar happen to me today. 

He got my email address fron LinkedIn, and worte this email to me:

**Edited for community guidelines**

Highlighted
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
86 of 135

Hi Federico,

Thank you for reporting this to us. If you have any additional information, please click on my name and send me a PM and will update our team with it to help their investigation.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Untitled
Highlighted
Chaely C Member Since: Mar 10, 2020
87 of 135

Are you still looking for cases of people trying to remote into poeple's computers? I wasn't able to send a PM, but I just had someone reach out on Fiverr from europe claiming to be "wong from china" who provided a bunch of contact info in  **Edited for Community Guidelines** He says they have an Upwork profile. I reported the message as spam on Fiverr, but I suspect they're creeping around this platform, too.

Highlighted
Rani K Member Since: Jan 27, 2020
88 of 135

I just made a mistake and gave my details to one guy 

he created a account on upwork using my details

and my account name is **Edited for Community Guidelines**, i need help to contact the admins or some one to get him banned and for me to able to delete that account from here please and thanks

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
89 of 135

Screen Shot 2020-01-27 at 12.31.16 PM.png

Highlighted
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
90 of 135

Hi Rani,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We'll share this with our team for their review and appropriate actions will be taken according to our internal processes.

~ Bojan
Untitled