🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Personalizing Proposals
Page options
fredcomm
Community Member

Personalizing Proposals

Hi.

The training videos for getting started on Upwork stress the importance of personalizing the salutation in proposals. However, I'm finding that the names of job posters often do not include their names, and they do not appear in the "About the client" section. How are you finding their names, or how are you working around the issue?

Thank you for any insights.

Martin Fredricks

3 REPLIES 3
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Martin F wrote:

Hi.

The training videos for getting started on Upwork stress the importance of personalizing the salutation in proposals. However, I'm finding that the names of job posters often do not include their names, and they do not appear in the "About the client" section. How are you finding their names, or how are you working around the issue?

Thank you for any insights.

Martin Fredricks

You can't. Even if you find a name in the feedbacks, this is unreliable, you might be adressing the client with one name, and find that somebody totally different answers you.

So as long as you don't know the name of the person on the other end, a simple "hi" must do...

yitwail
Community Member

Martin, I’ve been at Upwork a lot longer than those videos so I’ve never watched one, but can you provide a link to a video that mentions personalizing proposal salutations? Because generally I only do this when I receive a signed invitation from a client, and I’ve completed over 300 jobs at Upwork so in my experience, salutations are rather unimportant.

Martin,
No need to look for client's name unless they are in the job description.
If there is a name in the job description, I use it to address the client. If there is no name, then I don't bother looking for it, just say "Hi" or "Hello"
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths