🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Phishing Scam??
Page options
kendra_trevino
Community Member

Phishing Scam??

Hello! 

I recently applied for a job as a bookkeeper for a supposed Intel company.  I was given an opportunity to interview through Google Hangouts, and I was immediately given the job. They told me that I would need a MacBook and an Accounting Software and that they would be sending me a check that I would deposit via email. I, unfortunately, fell for this, and I deposited the check, and the company continues to contact me through Google Hangouts about other information like my telephone provider. I'm unsure about what to do next, can someone please give me some advice? 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

re: "the company continues to contact me through Google Hangouts"

Use the appropriate tool within Upwork messenger to BLOCK this person from contacting you through Upwork.

Use the tools provided by Google Hangous to BLOCK this person.

Then delete all information possible from your Google Hangouts account. Then STOP using Google Hangouts. For any reason. Ever. There is no legitimate reasaon for you to use Google Hangouts if your goal is to earn money working on Upwork.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
prestonhunter
Community Member

Yes, this is a scam. Very well known scam.

Its main purpose is to steal money from you.

Advice for you?

Don't fall for this scam again.

Never send money to people you meet on Upwork. The only allowable way to transfer funds is through Upwork. Not by sending checks.

Google Hangouts invites? Always a scam.

The check you deposited was fake. If you have not already done so, you need to go to your bank and talk to somebody in person and apologize for depositing a fake check. Work with them to fix the situation and gratefully pay any penalties that you are asked to pay. Hope that they allow you to keep your bank account.

re: "the company continues to contact me through Google Hangouts"

Use the appropriate tool within Upwork messenger to BLOCK this person from contacting you through Upwork.

Use the tools provided by Google Hangous to BLOCK this person.

Then delete all information possible from your Google Hangouts account. Then STOP using Google Hangouts. For any reason. Ever. There is no legitimate reasaon for you to use Google Hangouts if your goal is to earn money working on Upwork.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths