🐈
» Forums » Support » Re: Number already being used
Page options
tanvik009
Community Member

Phone Number is already in use

I just created my account but my number verification is failing saying the number is in use with another account. I've never used upwork before. Can someone. Please help.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation here.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

1,005 REPLIES 1,005

Hi Jedi,

Someone from our team will reach out to you via support ticket in order to assist you further.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork

Hello I am also having this same issue can someone please help me

Hello Rafaela,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further.

Thank you.

Pradeep H

Upwork
bld333
Community Member

Hi, I'm also having this issue. Can someone please reach out to me? Thank you!

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Brigitte, 

Thank you for patiently waiting as we looked into this further. Please know that a member of the Customer Support Team has already reached out to you through an email support ticket to assist you further with your concern. If you are unable to access the link I shared above, you can also check your mailbox and locate the email with the subject "Phone Verification."

Let us know if our team can be of further assistance to you!

~ Avery
Upwork
a16d1d2e
Community Member

I am also having the same issue! 

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Deniz,

We’ll have one of our agents reach out to you directly to assist you with your phone verification process.

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
e949b80e
Community Member

I am having the same problem where I have not created an account before but it says my phone number is in use on a different account. Please assist!

Hi Sky,

I shared your concern with the rest of our team and one of our agents will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

I had to submit question to upwork and they found out I had a duplicate account. I retrieved that email and then closed the first account. It accepted my number after that .

I created a new account. But for some reason, my phone number seems to be taken, but I am on my account. Not sure how to resolve this issue. I have full access to the phone number that says is taken.

Hi Charlotte,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you as soon as possible via a support ticket to assist you further.

~ AJ
Upwork
karan_1998
Community Member

Hi, 

I joined upwork today, and was trying to sign up for different jobs. I was prevented from doing so, as my number was not updated. 

Upwork would not let me update my number as it is currently being used by another profile, how could I change this/encounter this? 

Karan S wrote:

Hi, 

I joined upwork today, and was trying to sign up for different jobs. I was prevented from doing so, as my number was not updated. 

Upwork would not let me update my number as it is currently being used by another profile, how could I change this/encounter this? 

How/why is your number being used by another profile?

I'm not too sure as why my numbers being used. This is the first I am hearing of it. 

There might have been the odd-chance that I did create an account with upwork a while back but did not use it after the initial registration and email address. 

I'm not too sure as why my numbers being used. This is the first I am
hearing of it.

There might have been the odd-chance that I did create an account with
upwork a while back but did not use it after the initial registration and
email address.

Karan S wrote:
I'm not too sure as why my numbers being used. This is the first I am
hearing of it.

There might have been the odd-chance that I did create an account with
upwork a while back but did not use it after the initial registration and
email address.

Then you'd better get that straightened out, as you are not allowed to have more than one account.

Is there no way to cancel the old account and move to this one?
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Karan, 

I looked into this and can confirm that you have two accounts on Upwork, one of which was created 5 months ago with another email address. If you remember the login credentials for the old account, kindly login to the account and close it to comply with the Upwork Terms of Service. Let me know if this is going to be an issue for you, so that I can assist you further.

~ Avery
Upwork

Hey, I’m sorry I don’t remember which account or email it was on.
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for confirming this, Karan. I'll share your account information with the Customer Support Team so that they can get in touch with you and assist you further.

~ Avery
Upwork
76093d74
Community Member

I have a similar issue as well, would love your customer support.

Hi Serg, 

One of our team members will reach out to you directly to assist you in completing the phone verification process. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork

I am trying to sign in because I don't remember my previous account, and I have the same problem. "This number is being used by another account. Please provide a different number." 

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for reaching out to us, Leticia.

One of our team members will reach out to you directly to assist you with your phone verification process. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
f058c266
Community Member

I am having the same issue.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Marvin,

We'll have one of our agents reach out to you directly to assist you with your phone verification process.

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
3d4deb58
Community Member

I am having the same issue. Please assist ASAP!

Hi Harshu,

One of our team members will reach out to you directly via email to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
nikkipeel
Community Member

I'm unable to add my phone number to begin freelancing because I receive an error message that it's still associated with my old account. I deactivated my old account and don't even know what email address it was associated with. I'd really like to be able to work.

You appear to have misunderstood some important Upwork rules.

You are not allowed to have an old account and create a new account. Freelancers are permanently terminated from the platform if they are caught doing this.

You may work with Upwork Customer Support to resume using your first account, and work with them to shut down the new account you created. If you will work with them, you will not get in trouble.

Hi Nikki,

Could you please send me a PM with more information so I can check this for you? You can send me a PM by clicking on my name. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork
nlinhtt
Community Member

This happens to me as well. Can you check please?

Hi Linh,

One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
warriorfreeman
Community Member

Hi,

It seems like my phone number is used, I can not setup 2FA for my account. But as I remember I registered first time in Upwork, So please help me use my phone number.

Hello Guram,

can you please retry the same process.

hope this will help you.

Go to Settings  Password & Security.

Choose Enable next to Phone Verification

Enter your country code and phone number. We’ll text you a verification code

Enter the six-digit code and Submit to verify and enable two-step phone verification

thanks in advance

Hi Guram,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further with your 2FA. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
460b743a
Community Member

Whenever I attempt to submit a proposal I'm asked to get phone verification, but I get this error message:

You attempted to change your phone number too many times. please contact support.

Although it was only changed once as for some reason the area code was UK, but I'm in Vietnam.  Can this be resolved?

Thanks

Hi Ian,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further with your phone number. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
justinehays
Community Member

Hi there- my two step is enabled with a text code to my mobile phone. My phone number change almost a year ago. I could have sworn I updated the number in my account. I was recently out of town and tried to log in to up work to respond to an invitation. However I couldn’t log I because I wasn’t getting the two step code sent to my old mobile number. I’ve been essentially locked out of my own account. Anytime I try to change it I have to enter the code sent to my old mobile. Any advice? Can a member of the admin team please contact me!
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths