🐈
» Forums » Support » Re: Phone Number is already in use
Page options
tanvik009
Community Member

Phone Number is already in use

I just created my account but my number verification is failing saying the number is in use with another account. I've never used upwork before. Can someone. Please help.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation here.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

1,005 REPLIES 1,005
andrewmcdonald61
Community Member

phone number being used by another account

please help.. trying to register for account. 

Thank you for reaching out to us, Andrew.

One of our team members will reach out to you directly to assist you with your phone verification process.

~ Bojan
Upwork
ikearns
Community Member

I just created my account but my number verification is failing saying the number is in use with another account. I've never used upwork before. Can someone. Please help.

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Ilana,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further with your phone number. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
valeriegreen
Community Member

Phone number already being used error. Please help

Hi Valerie,

We'll have one of our agents reach out to you directly to assist you with your phone verification process.

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
ad997259
Community Member

Hello, many years ago my wife used my phone number with her Upwork account because she didn't have one at the time. Now I am trying to set up my own Upwork account but it won't let me use my own phone number to do so. It says that my number is being used on another account even though we took it off of hers a long time ago. Please let me know how I can proceed. 

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for reaching out to us, Chris.

One of our team members will reach out to you directly to assist you with your phone verification process. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
ad997259
Community Member

Thank you for your response. Its been a week now and no one has reached out to me. Can you please have someone reach out to me to help with this? 

Thank you,

Chris

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Chris,

A member of our team reached out to you already via email and is awaiting for your response. Kindly check the inbox of the email you used to register your Upwork account and follow up with our agent. Once they have more information about the issue you're experiencing, our agent will assist you accordingly.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

Number says it is already in use after I tried to verify by typing in the code and the site crashed

Hi Hakeem,

I shared your concern with the rest of our team and one of our agents will reach out to you directly via email to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

I'm also having this issue. I could use some help.

Hi Anna,

We'll have someone from our team will reach out to you via support ticket in order to assist you further.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork

I also have this same issue. Can I get contacted by a Support Agent?

Hi Erik,

I've escalated your concern to the team. One of our agents will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket.

~ Joanne
Upwork
m_tagapia
Community Member

PLease help me how can I erase my phone verification? i lost my phone. 

Whenever I click the settings phone verification pops-up.

please help

Hi Marchielhen,

One of our team members will reach out to you directly via an email to assist you further with the issue you are experiencing. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
cassandra_mcnair
Community Member

I never get a text to verify my cell number so I can't finish creating my profile. It's a cell # that I've had for years and I get all of my other text messages. Just nothing from Upwork.

Hi Cassandra,

I shared your report with our team and one of our agents already reached out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your ticket on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork
laysdesigns
Community Member

Hi. I recently closed my account to create a more professional name for my upwork account. However, when I try to use my telephone number for verification, It says it is already in use. I am using the same exact email as my previous account I recently closed. Can you help?

Thank you!

Shalaya H wrote:

Hi. I recently closed my account to create a more professional name for my upwork account. However, when I try to use my telephone number for verification, It says it is already in use. I am using the same exact email as my previous account I recently closed. Can you help?

Thank you!

Do you mean you have a fake name on your profile? Cuz it has to be the name on your ID or you'll get suspended. You're not supposed to make a new account, so if you closed it to avoid feedback or something they will tell you that you need to use the old one and close this one.

Hi Shalaya,

One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further with updating your phone number. You can access your tickets on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork

Thank you Nikola

15edfb29
Community Member

Hi, 

I used my boyfriend's phone number to create my account because I had no phone service while traveling abroud and now he's trying to create his account and he just can't use his own number. I've tried to update it but it doesn't appear on my profile now. Please help!

Hi Alison,

I've requested our team for asisstance, and one of our team members will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket

~ Joanne
Upwork
nquittner
Community Member

I'm trying to open an account but my phone number is already in use and I can't create one without that... I probably opened one years ago and never did anything with it. I don't know the username or password for that pervious account but I want to open a new one with my current credentials.

Hi Nicolette,

Someone from our team will reach out to you via support ticket in order to assist you further. You can access your ticket here.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
davisjosiah
Community Member

I'm trying to set up my account so that I can get started. but when i enter my phone number it says its already been used. I don't remember setting up a different account at any time and i wouldn't know the credentials to get into whatever account its talking about. How can I delete any account assosiated with my phone number without having access to the account it is being used on?

Thank you for reaching out to us, Josiah.

One of our team members will reach out to you directly to assist you with your phone verification process. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
mollycook1315
Community Member

I have had the same issue. I am trying to complete my profile but it is saying that my phone number is already in use. How can I fix this?

Hi Molly,

I've asked our team to assist you in completing the phone verification process. One of our agents will reach out to you directly via a support ticket. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
lydiahalla
Community Member

I keep trying to log in to upwork but it says my phone number is in use by another account so I can't get past the sign up

Lydia H wrote:

I keep trying to log in to upwork but it says my phone number is in use by another account so I can't get past the sign up

So you have another account (or previousy had another account) using that phone number?

I don't think so. If I did I made it a long time go, and I tried the email address I would have used and it didn't work.

hython
Community Member

Hey guys, I could not verify my phone number. A Chinese phone number has 11 digits, but I can only type in 10 digits. How can I solve this problem? In my profile, the phone number is correct, but when I tried to apply for a job, the system asked me to verify my phone number, and I could not click the button as it grayed out.

Hi Yuanjian,

I shared your report with our team and one of our agents already reached out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your ticket on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork
hython
Community Member

Hi Nikola,

I have replied to the ticket. The problem is still not solved, but it was marked as solved. I think the phone number issue is probably a programming bug. And it's on the page of phone number verification, not other places. On my profile and bank page, I can type in 11 digits.

Best,

Yuanjian

Hi Yuanjian,

I'm sorry for any confusion that could've caused. I see that you followed up on the ticket and the team handling your case should be getting back to you soon. Kindly communicate through that ticket if you have any questions so that the team can assist you more effectively.

Thank you,

~ Luiggi
Upwork
hython
Community Member

Hi Luiggi,

Till now, there is still no one reaching me. I think they should probably mark the issue as open instead of solved. I believe this is due to a programming bug and can be solved only in two ways: (1) they manually verify my phone number; (2) they fix the bug on that page. This is urgent, as I cannot apply for any jobs at this time without the phone number verification.

Best,

Yuanjian

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths