🐈
» Forums » Support » Re: Use phone number for new freelancer accou...
Page options
tanvik009
Community Member

Phone Number is already in use

I just created my account but my number verification is failing saying the number is in use with another account. I've never used upwork before. Can someone. Please help.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation here.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

1,005 REPLIES 1,005
dcrame
Community Member

Hi there,

I'm creating a freelancer account but at the last step I'm unable to use my mobile number as it says it's already in use.

I think this is because I had a client account before and would have used the same number. I have sinced deleted the client account but am still having the same issue.

username: **Edited for Community Guidelines**

email address: **Edited for Community Guidelines**

Thanks,Dan

Hi Daniel,

One of our agents will reach out to you via support ticket in order to assist you further.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
alirehman7141
Community Member

Unable to link my phone number it says!

You have exceeded the maximum number of attempts to add this phone number. Try a different number or contact

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hi Ali,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further with your phone number. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
c8539a62
Community Member

Hello, I am trying to finish setting up my account but it says that my phone nymber is already in use. Can someone help me?

Hi Raven,

One of our team members will reach out to you directly via email to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
Community Member

I am trying to add a freelancer profile to my current account. When I get to the phone number verification step, it tells me my number is already in use by another account. I assume it's my client account. If it's letting me add a profile, why can't I use the same phone number?

Hi Steve,

I checked and it seems that you already chatted with our support team on this ticket. Let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
hujmendez
Community Member

My phone number is being used with another account but this is the first time I create an Upwork account.

Hi Humberto,

Someone from our team will reach out to you via support ticket in order to assist you further.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
berriman-peter
Community Member

finish my profile to join coz it says my number is on another account but its not

Hi Peter,

Someone from our team will reach out to you via support ticket in order to assist you further.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
g_dean
Community Member

Hello,
my authenticator app was on my phone but now I've got a new phone I cannot access my settings or log into a new device.

Is there any way I can login with a new device without using my old phone? 

Thank you

Hi Gregory,

One of our team members will reach out to you directly via email to assist you further with your account.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
silveirapjohn
Community Member

Hello, 

I am new to Upwork and I am trying to finish up the process of my account verification by entering my phone number to get a text message verification. But I keep getting an error message saying "This number is already in use by another account." 

I have tried closing my account several times and re-doing the entire profile set-up but to no avail is there any change within the phone number verification. 

Please help! 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hi John,

I shared your concern with the rest of our team and one of our agents will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. Please note that a copy of the ticket will arrive in your email as well from where you can continue the correspondence with our team.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
cwadebpeng
Community Member

I am having the same problem!!!  I am unable to submit a proposal beecause I cannot complete my profile....:-(

AndreaG

Hi Wade,

Could you please clarify what is the issue you're experiencing when trying to complete your profile?

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork

🙂 Still a little new here. I saved my password, so I was immediately
launched into Upwork, but it led me into Create Profile. It asked for me
to enter the phone number **Edited for Community Guidelines** but I got an error message saying
that number was already used under another account. Doesn't make sense
because it recognizes me as Wade so I think I'm already in my account.
Does that make sense?

Hi Wade,

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
1ced112e
Community Member

I am setting up my freelancer account but I get a warning that my phone number is used by another account. I closed the account that I had with another email address but I'm still getting the warning. Not sure what account uses my number and I cant complete my profile without it.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Martin, 

I'd like to note a gentle reminder that users are only allowed one Upwork freelancer account, regardless of the old account is closed. Just the same, I'll share your account information with the Customer Support Team so that they can get in touch with you and assist you further. 

~ Avery
Upwork
4323b0e1
Community Member

It says my phone number is already in use, but I have had the number for more than a decade, the system didn't recognize my email before starting account creation, and I am unaware of any other accounts I might have. 

How do I resolve this?

Hi Shawn,

We'll have one of our agents reach out to you via support ticket in order to assist you further.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
ecb7d6e7
Community Member

I just created my account but my number verification is failing and says my number is in use with another account. I've never used Upwork before.  This is cumbersome and inconvenient to say the least. Please fix your glitch and advise how to proceed.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for reaching out to us, James.

One of our team members will reach out to you directly to assist you with your phone  verification process. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
db312919
Community Member

When I enter my phone number I get the message that the number is used by another account

Hi Ankith,

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
f2c96a5d
Community Member

I closed my previous account and created a new account. I wanted one for my freelance business not just myself. It won't let me use the same number I have closed the original account yesterday. Please advise.

Hi Shaun,

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
nouman_1981
Community Member

I just created my account but my number verification is failing saying the number is in use with another account. I've never used upwork before. Can someone. Please help.

Hi Nouman,

I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your ticket on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork
linzechapman
Community Member

I'm getting the phone number already in use error when trying to finalize my account.  Can you please assist?  Thank you.

Hi Linze,

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing this issue. We'll have one of our agents reach out to you via a support ticket to further assist you.

Thank you.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
cc7ffd0b
Community Member

I don't recall ever setting up an Upwork account. If I did, I definitely never finished it. Can a moderator help me fix this? I don't know where else to post this since the contact chat just sent me here.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for reaching out to us, Benjamin.

One of our team members will reach out to you directly to assist you with your phone verification process. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
lake_jennifer
Community Member

I just logged back into my account after quite some time of it being inactive.  After I reset my password and logged in, it takes me to my profile where i'm being asked to enter my phone number.  Whenever I put my phone number in I keep getting a message saying that my number is being used by another account.  I've only ever had one account which is the one I just reset so why am I getting this message.

Hi Jennifer,

I've shared your concern with adding your phone number to the team. One of our team members will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket.

~ Joanne
Upwork
da6dc21a
Community Member

Seems to be a problem for a lot of users. I've tried to use chat and that didn't work. How can I get this resolved? Thanks.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for reaching out to us, Randi.

One of our team members will reach out to you directly to assist you with your phone  verification process. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths