🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Phone number says it is in use?
Page options
jillscarey
Community Member

Phone number says it is in use?

I am trying to complete my profile but it says that my phone number is in use but I do not have another account that I know of. Can I get some help on getting this resolved?

11 REPLIES 11
hopefultoad
Community Member

That's odd. Can you attempt to recover your account using the phone number? Have you switched numbers recently? It's possible that someone who previously had your number had an account on Upwork or ODesk/Elance pre-merge. Maybe you could contact customer support to see if the number is under an inactive account and get them to free up the number for your use.

Or, if you have client account under that phone number, maybe it doesn't like that. I wouldn't know, though, since I don't have a client account.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jill, 

It looks like you have an old account associated with this number which was recently closed. As a gentle reminder, please know that users are not allowed to have more than one account on Upwork regardless of the old account being closed. 

If I have the correct account, it looks like the old account is a client account. You should be able to use the same account and create a freelancer account from there by following the steps here

I would recommend that we reinstate your old account, so that you can continue using it. Let me know how you wish to proceed.

~ Avery
Upwork

Hi Avery,

That client account was associated to my work email address.  Is there a way to change the email address if I reactivate it? Otherwise, I don't want the two connected.  

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jill, 

You should be able to update your account's email address by going to your account's contact info page. On your next reply, let me know if you this set up is okay for you so that I can reinstate your account. 

~ Avery
Upwork

Hi Avery,

Can the account be reactivated?  I deleted it when I removed my email as I didn't realize this would happen unfortunately.

Hi Jill,

As requested, your account has been reinstated. You may now log in to update your email. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork

Hello Joanne, 

Do you happen to know how I can figure out the email this is associated to?  I thought it was a certain email address, but my phone number is not on that account, and when I try from that address, it says my phone number is in use as well on that one.  

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for following up, Jill.

One of our team members will reach out to you directly via email to assist you with your concern.

~ Bojan
Upwork

I have this problem too. I thought my profile was already in place but it appears not.... I only have one Upwork login that I can identify and if my number is in use elsewhere I can't see how it can be mine!

Can someone please get in touch with me?

Hi Kirsty,

Someone from our team will reach out to you via support ticket to assist you with your phone verification.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
kirstymills
Community Member

I am having this problem too. It says that my number is in use on another profile! Can somebody please get in touch with me.

Many thanks,

Kirsty

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths