🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Phone number verification from out of the...
Page options
sekar_bala
Community Member

Phone number verification from out of the country

Hi,

I'm a US resident but currently in India for next couple of more months. I am trying to setup my profile. It takes me to the phone number verification page. I have my US number there. But I am using Verizon's messages+ app for getting my messages while I am abroad. That app does not usually receive the verification code kind of messages. I have tried it and didn't get the code on that.

Is there a way to get a phone call to that number to get a code of get verifiedor any other way?

Thank you

5 REPLIES 5
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Sekar,

Your profile address/location will need to reflect your current location. Once your country is updated, the country code for phone number will be updated as well and you will be able to add a number from the country you`re currently located in. Once you`re back in the US, you will be able to update your location.
Would you like our team to update your country so that you can proceed further? Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi Goran,

Thanks for the reply.

Let me get some more clarification.

I assume you are saying that I should enter the India address in the location page?

Then enter a local India number on the phone page so I get the code in that number?

Does that mean only people from India will be able to get my profile in the search results and not the ones near my US address?
I am on a tourist visa here. So I am not supposed to work here. So that will not work for me right?

I can always turn on my verizon line temporarily to get the verification code i nthe worst case.

Thanks

- Sekar

Sekar B wrote:

I can always turn on my verizon line temporarily to get the verification code i nthe worst case.

No, that doesn't work. As Goran pointed out, your profile location has to reflect your real current location. 

Sekar B wrote:

I am on a tourist visa here. So I am not supposed to work here.

Then you can't work from your current location and have to wait until you are back in the USA.

Thank you for the reply. Sorry, I'm new to upworlk..so trying to understand how it works.

So say I have my location set to India for now. Will my profile be searchable by clients in US? In otherwords, for people wanting to hire freelancers, they can only get freelancers from their location or anywhere in the world?

Thanks

- Sekar

Sekar B wrote:

So say I have my location set to India for now. Will my profile be searchable by clients in US? In otherwords, for people wanting to hire freelancers, they can only get freelancers from their location or anywhere in the world?

Clients who are searching worldwide can see your profile where-ever you are in the world.

Clients who are searching for freelancers only in a specific country find only freelancers in that country.

Fact remains that your profile location has to reflect where you are physically located. But as you said that you are not legally allowed to work in India, that is a moot point anyway, isn't it? It's quite obvious from your profile that you are not in the USA, and giving a false location could get you suspended and banned.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths