🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Please, Review My Profile
Page options
abdelrauof97
Community Member

Please, Review My Profile

Hey guys,
I am on UpWork for a few month now, and it starts to get a little bit momentum.
However, I am still pretty unsatisfied, how few of my proposals come back with an interview invitation.

Could you guys give me a short review of my profile?
What do you like?
What dont you like?
What would you change?

I would appreciate any Feedback!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
resultsassoc
Community Member

Peace be upon You.

If I were a software developer, I would invite you to a job. If I were an IT manager in a company, I would invite you to a job, but would never champion you to my company. You're a competitor, and I don't want you taking my job. And, as an IT manager, my checkbook is small.

I am none of those things, I'm a businessman. Your technical skills are many, and shared by many others. There is nothing to make you stand out to me. Isn't a Rubyist a jeweler? Isn't Java a hot drink? I have no idea what any of those skills might do to help my company make money. I have a big checkbook, but I only open it for things that help me make money.

Now, my website is full of interesting stuff, and has fifty-seven different categories of things I would be pleased to have visitors see. The business problem I have is that most visitors never go beyond the llanding page. If I could get them to go farther, I'd make more money. Do you know anybody that could make my landing page encourage visitors to go farther?

When visitors do go farther, we require them to fill out a very long form and register. Most visitors who get that far just go away. Do you know anybody who could fix that?

When visitors register, we automatically sign them up for our twice-daily newsletters and our daily promotional video messages. For some reason, after two or three days, they all unsubscribe and delete their registrations. Do you know anybody who could fix that?

The very few who get to a page where they could spend money with us, never do. We give them everything they need to know about our machinery: the platform used for the software, the programming language used in each bolt-on, the response time for software commands, the kinds of reports they can get about logons, response time, and the other really important stuff. Then we tell them what the machine does and how much it costs. We aren't getting any orders. Do you know anyone who can fix that?

Unfortunately, basic coding work is a commodity service. Solving business problems is a professional service. I believe, as a tech-savvy businessman (most aren't), that your expertise in front-end development would fix every one of the problems I listed. But, my tech-stupid neighbor, who has a much larger checkbook than I have, has no way to find that out from your profile.

"I solve business problems by making your technology more inviting, and easier to work with." Then, if you wish, you can add long lists of coding skills. It's just that those are important mostly to people with small checkbooks. Bigger checkbook-owners don't care if you use a learning-disabled aardvark sitting in a cave. They only care if you can solve the business issues.

Good luck.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
resultsassoc
Community Member

Peace be upon You.

If I were a software developer, I would invite you to a job. If I were an IT manager in a company, I would invite you to a job, but would never champion you to my company. You're a competitor, and I don't want you taking my job. And, as an IT manager, my checkbook is small.

I am none of those things, I'm a businessman. Your technical skills are many, and shared by many others. There is nothing to make you stand out to me. Isn't a Rubyist a jeweler? Isn't Java a hot drink? I have no idea what any of those skills might do to help my company make money. I have a big checkbook, but I only open it for things that help me make money.

Now, my website is full of interesting stuff, and has fifty-seven different categories of things I would be pleased to have visitors see. The business problem I have is that most visitors never go beyond the llanding page. If I could get them to go farther, I'd make more money. Do you know anybody that could make my landing page encourage visitors to go farther?

When visitors do go farther, we require them to fill out a very long form and register. Most visitors who get that far just go away. Do you know anybody who could fix that?

When visitors register, we automatically sign them up for our twice-daily newsletters and our daily promotional video messages. For some reason, after two or three days, they all unsubscribe and delete their registrations. Do you know anybody who could fix that?

The very few who get to a page where they could spend money with us, never do. We give them everything they need to know about our machinery: the platform used for the software, the programming language used in each bolt-on, the response time for software commands, the kinds of reports they can get about logons, response time, and the other really important stuff. Then we tell them what the machine does and how much it costs. We aren't getting any orders. Do you know anyone who can fix that?

Unfortunately, basic coding work is a commodity service. Solving business problems is a professional service. I believe, as a tech-savvy businessman (most aren't), that your expertise in front-end development would fix every one of the problems I listed. But, my tech-stupid neighbor, who has a much larger checkbook than I have, has no way to find that out from your profile.

"I solve business problems by making your technology more inviting, and easier to work with." Then, if you wish, you can add long lists of coding skills. It's just that those are important mostly to people with small checkbooks. Bigger checkbook-owners don't care if you use a learning-disabled aardvark sitting in a cave. They only care if you can solve the business issues.

Good luck.

Bill,

It sounds to me like you need a content writer who understands marketing--not a front end designer...

السلام عليكم 

thank you very much for your awesome respond. this is realy helpful.

My pleasure. Good luck!

smwhitaker
Community Member

Hi Abdelrauof,

Have you searched other freelancers with your skills/job title to study their profiles? When I first created my profile, I had difficulty deciding what information to include. I searched other freelance writers and found those who had successfully completed jobs similar to those I'm interested in (and qualified for). Then I looked at all of their profiles to see how the marketed themselves in their profiles. It was very helpful. 

I looked at your profile and the first thing I noticed was the punctuation/capitalization errors in your bio/description. I suggest editing for simple errors like that. Also, you would probably benefit from more direct language about your abilities and skills, rather than saying you're "interested" in coding. For example, stronger  (more confident) language would be, "I'm an expert at coding and write clean code in Ruby..."

And, of course, make sure you're applying those same rules to your proposals. Angle your proposals so that you're telling a client how you would benefit them and their project. Make sure you're personalizing each proposal and referencing the content they included in the job post. One other tip--don't make the proposals too long. When I first began, I had very long detailed proposals that I thought were very professional. The problem is that nobody wants to read a novel when hiring someone. I shortened my proposals and saw a significant change in the number of people inviting me to interview. 

Hope all this helps!

Stacie

Thank you for your efforts 

abdelrauof97
Community Member

Hey guys,
I am on UpWork for a few month now, and it starts to get a little bit momentum.
However, I am still pretty unsatisfied, how few of my proposals come back with an interview invitation.

Could you guys give me a short review of my profile?
What do you like?
What dont you like?
What would you change?

I would appreciate any Feedback!

Hi,

I just made a few updates to my Upwork profile. Can someone please give it a quick review and suggest any changes? Thanks

Regards,

Umar

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths