🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Please, Review My Profile
Page options
gerrit90
Community Member

Please, Review My Profile

Hey guys,

this is my first time posting here.
I am on UpWork for a few month now, and it starts to get a little bit momentum.
This week I will breach the 1000 Dollar total earnings. 

However, I am still pretty unsatisfied, how few of my proposals come back with an interview invitation.

Could you guys give me a short review of my profile?
What do you like?
What dont you like?
What would you change?

I would appreciate any Feedback!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation here.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

1,400 REPLIES 1,400

@Bogdan-Mihai R wrote:

Ok, it's now visible.

I'd say lose every test that's not blue and fix the grammatical errors on your profile. Maybe get the third paragraph up to first place and make it a bit more personal? Right now your profile is a bit too robotic, there's a lot of third person going on there.

PHP, HMTL5 and CSS - do you have the knowledge to pull off a job from start to finish ? If you have the skills and the drive, then you should also tailor your profile to fit this (i.e. can't be a programmer and have a data entry portfolio, etc). If you don't, then don't mind my paragraph here.

I would say it's a very personal profile, personally copied from several freelancers 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"

@Bogdan-Mihai R wrote:

Ok, it's now visible.

I'd say lose every test that's not blue and fix the grammatical errors on your profile. Maybe get the third paragraph up to first place and make it a bit more personal? Right now your profile is a bit too robotic, there's a lot of third person going on there.

PHP, HMTL5 and CSS - do you have the knowledge to pull off a job from start to finish ? If you have the skills and the drive, then you should also tailor your profile to fit this (i.e. can't be a programmer and have a data entry portfolio, etc). If you don't, then don't mind my paragraph here.

I changed my overview, what do you think now? 

lysis10
Community Member

@Ahmed S wrote:

Hi everyone, my name is Shaheen Ahmed, I'm new here and I'm trying to prove myself and climb the ladder really fast, I have a great skills and great passion to increase them here. 

I think that I've done very well in my profile here, I followed every advice I saw here to improve it. I managed to get one job contract and I finished it 100% success and the client has rated me very well "thanks to him". 

I applied for many jobs here but with no luck, I think I've all the required skills which makes me a strong candidate but with no luck even for an interview.

So, I would like to ask you kindly to check my profile and give me some feedback about your impressions. What is your opinion about it? What do you think of me when you saw it? Is there anything that I missed?

Your responces is highly appreciated.

Thank you very much.

lol failed English tests. Good spelling and grammar on overview. Plagiarized profile of course!

Data entry every time. 

Woman SurprisedWoman SurprisedWoman Surprised

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"

It's like shooting fish in a barrel in this thread.

Anonymous-User
Not applicable

Especially the second paragraph has been copied again and again on numerous profiles on Upwork as well as on other platforms.

@Margarete M wrote:

Especially the second paragraph has been copied again and again on numerous profiles on Upwork as well as on other platforms.

That's not correct, I don't copy anything from upwork profiles or other platforms, as I said I make some copying from google because I'm not a native English, and I customized it to fit me skills 

@Ahmed S wrote:

@Margarete M wrote:

That's not correct, I don't copy anything from upwork profiles or other platforms, as I said I make some copying from google because I'm not a native English, and I customized it to fit me skills 

You are still using something you didn't write.  You can't do that.  

@Katrina B wrote:

@Ahmed S wrote:

@Margarete M wrote:

You are still using something you didn't write.  You can't do that.  

Ok that's fine and I understand the idea, but I think someone here tried to descripe me as a fool who tries to catch some money from here. Don't you agree with me? 

I would have thought that someone with a BA (or even a background) in computer science, would be looking higher than typing or data entry.

Oddly enough, my first job on oDesk was data entry, even though I have a background in Computer Sciences. As a newbie you take what is available in order to ramp up your job history; Natasha started with $2 per hour 5 years ago, now she has an hourly rate of what - 24?

He looks honest enough, so I've given him the benefit of the doubt.

@Bogdan-Mihai R wrote:

Oddly enough, my first job on oDesk was data entry, even though I have a background in Computer Sciences. As a newbie you take what is available in order to ramp up your job history; Natasha started with $2 per hour 5 years ago, now she has an hourly rate of what - 24?

Yes, he's an expert in the copies and the pastes. 

I'll still give him the benefit of the doubt, maybe as you say parts of his overview were copied, but deep down I still think he's an honest contractor.

And if I'm wrong, feel free to burn me to the stake of public oprobium, still ain't gonna change my mind about him.

@Bogdan-Mihai R wrote:

I'll still give him the benefit of the doubt, maybe as you say parts of his overview were copied, but deep down I still think he's an honest contractor.

And if I'm wrong, feel free to burn me to the stake of public oprobium, still ain't gonna change my mind about him.

Yes, stealing content from other people is the sign of a great freelancer.

I'd love to see some stats on freelancers who get flagged for plagiarism and stealing their portfolio items. I'd love to see if they sink or swim on here and if their JSS goes to **Edited for Community Guidelines** fast when the client gets duped and wastes money on a fake profile.

These losers are the reason for a lot of the **Edited for Community Guidelines** the honest freelancers have to deal with. 

@Bogdan-Mihai R wrote:

maybe as you say parts of his overview were copied

Not just parts, all of it.

saloooma
Community Member

@Jennifer M wrote:

@Bogdan-Mihai R wrote:

Hi Jennifer, thank you for responding. You know, I'm posting here for help, I think there is no need for flaming me and make some false judgments, If I'm a liar I won't ask here for help, there are a lot of sources which I can get more professional C.Vs, yes I make some copy and paste from google but it's reflecting my experience no less no more.
I'm not a native English so I have to copy from google but I think it described me fairly.

@Ahmed S wrote:

@Jennifer M wrote:

@Bogdan-Mihai R wrote:

Hi Jennifer, thank you for responding. You know, I'm posting here for help, I think there is no need for flaming me and make some false judgments, If I'm a liar I won't ask here for help, there are a lot of sources which I can get more professional C.Vs, yes I make some copy and paste from google but it's reflecting my experience no less no more.
I'm not a native English so I have to copy from google but I think it described me fairly.

You have to write your overview in your own words.  You cannot copy and paste it from anywhere, not here, not Google, not the moon.  You can be suspended for it.  Harsh or not you need to take all the advice you have been given and implement it if you want to be successful here.  

@Nichola L wrote:

I would have thought that someone with a BA (or even a background) in computer science, would be looking higher than typing or data entry.

I agree with you, Computer Science has other categories like programming, marketing,design,web development etc... But also It contains Data Entry Scope, here in my place, there aren't much apportunities to develop other skills, and that's the only scope which I gain my skills and experiences from.

If you're not believing me, I think that is your problem. I have my university degree and I can show it to you. 

saloooma
Community Member

@Jennifer M wrote:

@Ahmed S wrote:

Hi everyone, my name is Shaheen Ahmed, I'm new here and I'm trying to prove myself and climb the ladder really fast, I have a great skills and great passion to increase them here. 

I think that I've done very well in my profile here, I followed every advice I saw here to improve it. I managed to get one job contract and I finished it 100% success and the client has rated me very well "thanks to him". 

I applied for many jobs here but with no luck, I think I've all the required skills which makes me a strong candidate but with no luck even for an interview.

So, I would like to ask you kindly to check my profile and give me some feedback about your impressions. What is your opinion about it? What do you think of me when you saw it? Is there anything that I missed?

Your responces is highly appreciated.

Thank you very much.

lol failed English tests. Good spelling and grammar on overview. Plagiarized profile of course!

Data entry every time. 

Who said I'm failed in English tests? It's below average but I passed it. My profile is not Plagiarized from any where so please be carefull of what you are saying

kulkarni_ashish
Community Member

Would any of you like to critique my profile? be as harsh as you must. lol.

Thanks!

Ashish, I think you have a marvelous profile photo. The image quality is high. You project a positive attitude and confidence. It is clear that you put thought and effort into the photo.

Your professional attire perfectly matches the serious analytical and financial job skills that you promote on your profile.

This might not help you much, but hopefully other contractors reading this who are just starting out will consider these comments and look to your photo as an example.

Ashish is the next dude to get his profile stolen. hehe

Just ask for commission, Ashish.

@Jennifer M. wrote:

Ashish is the next dude to get his profile stolen. hehe

Just ask for commission, Ashish.

So you think the profile is good?

Thanks Preston. I was a bit confused about whether I should put a suited up photo for a freelancing profile. Good to know that it fits.

solutionsfusion
Community Member

Hi,

Can anyone review my profile, is that ok or not?

Murtaza, actually, I think your profile page is pretty good. I would like to see you eliminate a few lines from the technical specifications section. Some of this really don't matter to clients. Try to remove two to four lines there. Like maybe CSS/HTML/AJAX. We can assume you know your way around there, and that is not your speciality. You don't want to get hired as a CSS guy, you want to be hired as a Java guy.

Some of the other lines could probably be removed, if you think they're not the things that will get you jobs. Like mentioning you use Eclipse/NetBeans for your IDE.

More importantly, you are missing a paragraph (not bullet points - paragraph formed from full sentences) in which you explain in very non-technical terms the types of applications you have created, and for what types of businesses. This doesn't limit you to repeating the same, but gives the non-technical clients something solid they can wrap their minds around and envision you as part of the team of people who will help them realize their vision.

Hey Preston,

Thanks for reviewing my profile and your suggestion. I had done changes as per your suggestion.

But I was not able to understand the below paragraph, i.e. for which section you're talking about, like employment history section or for technical summary section.

"More importantly, you are missing a paragraph (not bullet points - paragraph formed from full sentences) in which you explain in very non-technical terms the types of applications you have created, and for what types of businesses. This doesn't limit you to repeating the same, but gives the non-technical clients something solid they can wrap their minds around and envision you as part of the team of people who will help them realize their vision."

re: "But I was not able to understand the below paragraph, i.e. for which section you're talking about, like employment history section or for technical summary section."

Near the very top of your profile, as either the 2nd or 3rd paragraph of your profile overview text, you should add a simple, very non-technical paragraph with two to three sentences. In this paragraph you should mention some of the specific projects you have done. This will let potential clients imagine you handling their projects. Here is an example I am totally making up off the top of my head. Change it to fit what you have actually done:

"As a Java progammer I have completed dozens of projects. Some of the areas I have worked in the most are real estate, medical patient management, and online retail portals for automotive manufacturers. Among my most recent projects as lead developer were a Java-based system that allows cardiology patients to retrieve their lab results directly, and a portal which a national auto repair chain uses to order supplies using real time warehouse data."

Hey,

Thank you very much, I had change my profile as per your review. Can you please have a look again as second eye again ?

naturalist
Community Member

Hi!

Can someone please reveiw my profile. Having problems for months with landing a job or even views on my profile. Maybe I missed something or said too much or didn't think something thoroughly. Anything would help.

Thank you.

@Solange K wrote:

Hi!

Can someone please reveiw my profile. Having problems for months with landing a job or even views on my profile. Maybe I missed something or said too much or didn't think something thoroughly. Anything would help.

Thank you.

Apart from other advice which others may give, I would say remove the non-blue test results from profile and add portfolio items, how many ever you can add. Personally I would like to see a couple of strong bullet points in the profile.

Also, keep applying to relevant job posts, make your proposals stand out somehow. And you should aim to convert 50%+ of interviews into jobs. 

I probably told you what you already know, but everyone has different ways to go about these things. I am new here, but have got 5 jobs in 20 days.  I got one job by quoting 550 for a budget of 3000 (that caught his eye when I said 'frankly your budget is WAAY too high'; and got one when i quoted 550 when average bid was 270. I think that if you are active and stay hungry for jobs and apply smartly, you should do fine. 

Ashish.

Thank you. I removed the non-blue test scores. Problem is that I'm also not even landing interviews. Only getting rejected.Man Sad

@Solange K wrote:

Thank you. I removed the non-blue test scores. Problem is that I'm also not even landing interviews. Only getting rejected.Man Sad

Well, you know you got to change something, either your profile or your proposals. So zing it up, mention your 100% JSS, quote a good review from an ex-client in the proposal, etc. 

Solange, I second Ashish's advice to 'zing' it up.

The area you specialize in has many competent and experienced contractors, so you need to stand out in other ways.

The work you will be contacted to do might be very business-like, but you could make your personality a strong point.

At the moment the profile reads a little dull and not very informative.

The first two paragraphs are OK (but could do with a re-write), the third one doesn't make sense to me and is clunky:
"I am looking to extend my knowledge and experience to Upwork where I can be of value to any business, and to expand my own knowledge and experience. "

I am surprised by this as proofreading and editing are your areas of expertise.

The fourth paragraph, "My trustworthiness, dedication and willingness to give 100% and no less, has been proven by past employers to be undeniable. "  Where is the proof? 🙂 
You could add a client quote at the top of your profile or somewhere at this point as support.

The fifth paragraph: "My professional conduct can also be described as prompt and efficient in delivering the desired result(s) with professionalism."
Again, a client quote would be better than just claiming it.

I would drop the 'Thank you ..'.

I think the whole section needs to be re-written and made clear, precise and engaging.

You got to show you would be a nice person to work with, the work would be done to a high standard, and the overall experience will be pleasant and enjoyable.

Solange,

It is possible that your proposal letters are not appealing to clients. Find someone to give an opinion on them.

Change your English settings to native/bilingual. If you are setting up as a proofreader, a client does not want someone who is merely fluent.

You need something in your portfolio. Could you do a before/after formatting, or show some text that you have proofread?

Good luck!

koonbey
Community Member

Hello,

I'm new here too, though I registered since last year.

What you do here is awesome, kudos.

Please go through my profile.

Thank you very much.

I like your profile it is interesting and engaging. It's great start.

I am not a editor/writer/&etc and I am confused about the use of the word 'write' on this sentence:

"I am exactly the write you've been looking for.

Is this a common use of this term in your industry, or it is typo and should read 'writer'?

If the latter, then you should pay as much attention to your profile as you do to your work! 🙂

You should link to the websites your work appears in, and also give more details of the awards you have won.

I also think the profile image should have you looking directly at the camera not looking far away, dreaming of greater things, which is great, in terms of aspiration, but as a client I would want you to focus on me!

daei_f
Community Member

Hello everyone.

I'm just starting again on Upwork since I haven't catch a job since we were still in Elance and everything again from scratch since I have learnt a lot in these 2 years working as a freelance.

I have taken the advice of all of you in this thread, thank you all for helping us all. Now, I would like you to check my profile and rate it / criticise it. I already wrote a whole new Overview text and updated all the (REALLY outdated) portfolio with my new stuff.

I'll take your word to learn improve because I really want to raise my income and quality job oportunities. Thank you beforehands 🙂

Hi David,

I think you've put good effort in your profile. Although what you are trying to say is clear, there are many grammatical errors - sentence construction as well as choice of words. Also, I think youve put too many words at most places when they were not needed. I would like it to be crisp and easy to read (just my opinion).

Regards,

Ashish

Thank you Ashish. I made an optimization of the overview text taking in count your recommendations. How do you look it now? 🙂

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths