🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Please, Review My Profile
Page options
gerrit90
Community Member

Please, Review My Profile

Hey guys,

this is my first time posting here.
I am on UpWork for a few month now, and it starts to get a little bit momentum.
This week I will breach the 1000 Dollar total earnings. 

However, I am still pretty unsatisfied, how few of my proposals come back with an interview invitation.

Could you guys give me a short review of my profile?
What do you like?
What dont you like?
What would you change?

I would appreciate any Feedback!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation here.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

1,400 REPLIES 1,400
kandytech
Community Member

David F,

You are really selling yourself short on Upwork compared to the detailed portfolio on Behance.

I think it might be OK to link to your Behance portfolio, but you need to copy all that content across and develop detailed portfolio pieces on Upwork. Having to leave Upwork to get more information on each item is not going to make clients happy.

You need to mention all the software packages you use, for example if you use Blender,  you need to mention in on the profile, and not expect clients to stumble up on it!

The whole profile write up needs to be cleaned up, as Ashish says, its too wordy and most of it is not really communicating much information. And some sentences are saying things in such a round about way, it is not effective.

It looks like you are a talented and modest person, a rare quality!, but you are being too wordy and polite and I can't get to the essential information quickly.

iaabraham
Community Member

@David F, take some relevant skills tests and improve the grammar in your Overview.

Since your profile is generally good, you should re-evaluate the proposals that you are sending out.
yahya_umair
Community Member

Hi everyone there,

I have no job since two moths and my job success is 56%...can any one help me to improve my profile.Please see my profile and tell me how i can improve my profile.

Thank you!!!

Stop using smiley faces as bullet points.

Take some more tests and pass them well.

Write a more complete Overview and get someone to proofread it for you.

Add a few more Portfolio items.

Do better work on your contracts because your past feedback doesn't look great.

Smile in your profile picture.

Thank you

Umair: your photo uses the blue background of shame. Whenever I see that particular shade of blue in a profile photo, combined with a dead-on stare, I assume the contractor does not take their work on Upwork seriously. It really looks like no effort went into taking an appropriate photo.

hfspeegle
Community Member

Since all the cool kids are doing it and peer pressure's the worst, could any/everyone review my profile too, please?

Seriously though, any criticism or tips are more than welcome.  I've noticed some pretty sharp people on these boards.  Thanks!

There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with your profile though! However, I'd definitely trick the JS algorithm up above 95% by doing a lot of small jobs in quick succession.

Thank you, Ramon.  I appreciate it very much.

sushilkumar29
Community Member

Iam Professional web developer. I have fixed price jobs but not getting any hourly jobs Please help me

It's too easy. at least TRY to pretend you haven't just copied it from someone else! You're taking all the fun out of it now, you spoilsports! Cat Mad

engrumaraftab
Community Member

Hi there,

Although I have good work history on Upwork and 79% JSS, I am not receiving any invitations to interview. My connects are also all consumed. Please help me in this!

Also, it would be highly appreciated if you go through my profile and check if it is all good or it requires any revision. 

Thanks

Warm Regards,

Umar Aftab

Hello Umar.

When I read your overview I think about "Hmm, this is not a serious freelancer. He is probably a teenager". While there is nothing wrong in being a teenager, I am not getting interested in you. There are many unneeded sentences and smiles: "Don't look around", "Have a good time", "Best of Luck" etc. I would remove that stuff from the overview.

Also you have very long title. And a bunch of skills without proving. Only one skill is marked with test result. If there are any related tests I would pass those ones.

Thanks for you replied to my post. I am happy to know how you described all that. What can be the title then? I mean how would a client know what I do without going through my full profile. And, I will definitely prove all the skills listed. Thanks again!

Regards,

Umar Aftab

engrumaraftab
Community Member

Hi there,

Would someone please spend a couple of minutes in reviewing my profile? I have made it as short as possible and to the point. Thanks

Regards,

Umar Aftab

Hi Umar, I just saw your profile it looks good 

saloooma
Community Member

Anyone help me to professionally set my profile?

I tried my best to make it looks better, but I don't know if this is good or not.

Thanks

masoodwield
Community Member

Hi.

I was wondering if some community guru/s would be kind enough to have a look at my profile and let me know, constructively, what I am doing wrong or what I am missing.

I have been applying for many job posts with no success at all. Everything mentioned in my profile is 100% true. Also, I honestly try to write a specific proposal (do not copy paste or use a pre-written proposal) and try to answer all the questions/requirements. Also, I only apply to those jobs that I believe I am qualified enough.

Any suggestions/comments are appreciated.

Regards.
Masood

I can't explain it, your profile is one of the only decent ones I've seen in these requests. Try using different answers and approaches until you find a formula that works. Having said that, a smiling photograph would seem to be most appropriate for call centre work.

Thanks Ramon,

I would like to thank you for looking at my profile and appreciate your remarks and suggestions. I will certailnly try to set a smiling picture as my profile pic. 🙂

Regards

Masood

I agree with Ramon, you have a nice profile.

Your current photo is extremely serious, it will help if you could make it more affable.

Regards,

Ashish

i_ilham
Community Member

i have a good skills in typing pdf writing microsoft office retyping  and a good portofolio and i keep posting to jobs that im sure i can do them perfectly .im so conused why i can not get a job on upwork .can somebody help me plz

Anonymous-User
Not applicable

@Ilham I wrote:

i have a good skills in typing pdf writing microsoft office retyping  and a good portofolio and i keep posting to jobs that im sure i can do them perfectly .im so conused why i can not get a job on upwork .can somebody help me plz

Here my answer: Your profile says: "My main focus is to provide 100% quality of work to my clients. And i'am highly proficient with excellent typing skills and accuracy." And your posting is full of terrible mistakes.

Ilham one of the problems is your test scores. Although you have passed them, they show 'below average' which is a real turn off for potential clients. I would hide those scores until you have passed a few tests that show at least an 'above average' score.

Also, if you send out proposals that look like your post here - where you use lower case i for I and abbreviate words such as  'please', you are not going to convince any client that you can produce quality work. But you will attract the sort of scammers that are being much discussed in the forum at moment.

Before applying for any job, you must carefully read all the help pages in Upwork and the the terms of service, and read the two most important posts here in the forum about getting a job, and the 'Job warning signs'.

raven-wolfe
Community Member

Dear House, please can somebody take a look at my profile and tell me what I am getting wrong. beginning from mid-March to date, I have sent over 40 proposals without any positive response. I take my time to write individual proposals tailored to the job post, but employers do not look my way at all...

I am so scared right now because I am running out of funds, if I don't get a job soon, the consequences would be pretty bad for...

I earnestly count on your willingness to dole out constructive criticism that will help me land that elusive first job.

Regards,

Ifeanyi.

@Ifeanyi N wrote:

Dear House, please can somebody take a look at my profile and tell me what I am getting wrong. beginning from mid-March to date, I have sent over 40 proposals without any positive response. I take my time to write individual proposals tailored to the job post, but employers do not look my way at all...

I am so scared right now because I am running out of funds, if I don't get a job soon, the consequences would be pretty bad for...

I earnestly count on your willingness to dole out constructive criticism that will help me land that elusive first job.

Regards,

Ifeanyi.

You are probably applying to wrong jobs, where contractors have already been hired. You can check this stat in the job posting under number of applicants & interviews. 

Look for a suitable job, make a kickass proposal and hope for the best. Your skillset has a lot of competition, so you need to have patience to get jobs and build a reputation. I would also suggest adding more portfolio items. 

I apply to appropriate jobs within 20 minutes of being posted. I think my inexperience is the greatest limiting factor, or perhaps a problem with my profile that I am not aware of.

I am definitely patient, would try for another two months, if in that period I don't get any jobs then I may return to offline work....Woman Frustrated

hasanzeb
Community Member

Hi there,

I have been on upwork for last two months, applied for 60 jobs but got no response. Last week, I were able to land a contract and its almost about to complete. Now I would like to do more work but still aint getting any respnse. Kindly check out my profile if it has any difficiency or any suggestions regarding for write-up covering letter

Please help me!

Thanks!

Regards,

Hasan Zeb

saptarshi1985
Community Member

I am new to this community, i want to work as a freelancer.

Could you suggest how can i get some work in my areas of competency, in addition to this i would like mention that whatever i am trying to add my profile is showing only 70% completeness?

Please help me.

@Saptarshi D wrote:

Could you suggest how can i get some work in my areas of competency, in addition to this i would like mention that whatever i am trying to add my profile is showing only 70% completeness?

Please help me.

Your profile is private.  We can't see it.  

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"

@Saptarshi D wrote:

Please help me.

You profile is set to private, please set it to public by changing options on the profile settings page. It might take some hours to see it go public.

Few tips for profiles:

1. Set a happy/smiling picture. 

2. Ensure 0 grammar mistakes. Capitalize the correct letters.

3. Dont put any outside links in the description.

4. Add portfolio items relevant to your skills. if you dont have them, make them.

5. Take some tests and try to get a blue score (top 30% i believe).

6. Link your linkedin account or some other to allow faster approval by Upwork.

7. Do not copy anything in your profile/portfolio from others. Please be original.

That should get you started.

Hi Saptarshi,

To complete your profile, please add your key skills by clicking on the Add Skills link, below your photo and title on the profile page. Alternatively, you can use the "Add a Skill +70%" link on the right side of your home page (Find Work). You should also add a few Portfolio samples and other experiences, and take a few tests to showcase your skills.

You can find more advice and tips in the Help articles below:

How to Complete Your Profile
Sample Profile

~ Vladimir
Upwork
tpriyatosh
Community Member

Hi community,

I am a IT professional and more then 10 year experience in this field. I am apple ACMT and iOS cetified. here I am starting new but ID was old. also i have experience in Data entry, search, VA, SMM, remote technical support, traubleshooting, networking, application support and more. but no one feedback me after applying.

is there any body to suggest me where is the issues either my profile or anything else?

Rgrds

Priyatosh

Sounds like you're bidding on anything. It's better to specialize.

Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for your feedback quickly. I appreciate! can please clear me about details.

Regards

Priyatosh

Hi Priyatosh, 

Is " Wishing happiness " your professional job tittle? 

Your profile overview says nothing about how you can help a potential client with your skill, it's all about your certification. 

You are an IT expert with 10 years of experience but your test result for " Networking Concepts Test " doesn't reflect your statement ( 2.60  / Below Average ). 

You haven't even participated in " UpWork Readiness Test " yet, how UpWork will submit your profile and proposal to a potential client ( i don't know). 

Browse through few successful freelancers profiles in your area/category to get an overall idea then re-write your profile (but, don't just copy paste, please!) 

Welcome to UpWork!

jampiecover
Community Member

Hi

I'm new to Upwork and need honest feedback on my profile. I've done two jobs, of which only one client gave me feedback. I did transcribing for the last mentioned client. The other client is not responding to any of my emails or messages asking him to do the same.

Without any confirmation/permission to do so, I don't feel I have the right to post my work I did for him in my portfolio. I worked for this client for just over 2 months; writing blogposts for a variety of blogs and designing the layout and setting up two brand new websites.

The first mentioned client gave me videos of a 10 hour seminar to transcribe. I can't put that in my portfolio, since it's a paid seminar and information about it, can't be distributed. So again, no way to proof that I can actually do transcribing.

Any ideas on what I can change or add to my profile will be much appreciated. I had a much longer Overview, but after looking at some of the top freelancer's overviews, I made mine as concise as theirs. 

Any advice on what to do about my portfolio, would also be much appreciated.

Thank you 

Corli

Regarding the portfolio items, if you dont have them, make some of your own I would say.

What would you suggest I do for transcribing? Would it be allowed to take a general YouTube video and transcribe that?

Also, do you have any suggestions regarding my Profile?

@Corli C wrote:
What would you suggest I do for transcribing? Would it be allowed to take a general YouTube video and transcribe that?

Also, do you have any suggestions regarding my Profile?

You should change your photo to a bit more professional one maybe. Should be a smiling one.

Regarding portfolio entries, make some blog articles for yourself/which you own and put them up. Also, in your profile decide which skill to give more importance to - blog writing or transcribing. Make it stand out in that field.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths