🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Please, Review My Profile
Page options
gerrit90
Community Member

Please, Review My Profile

Hey guys,

this is my first time posting here.
I am on UpWork for a few month now, and it starts to get a little bit momentum.
This week I will breach the 1000 Dollar total earnings. 

However, I am still pretty unsatisfied, how few of my proposals come back with an interview invitation.

Could you guys give me a short review of my profile?
What do you like?
What dont you like?
What would you change?

I would appreciate any Feedback!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation here.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

1,400 REPLIES 1,400
tlbp
Community Member

Make sure you don't have any links to third party sites in your profile, that violates the rules.

A client may only scan the first two lines of your overview before deciding whether to look at your entire profile. Make these two lines communicate what you do and why you are exceptional. Experience and education are resume pieces- your overview should be a selling piece.

1cc56ab1
Community Member

Hello Guy!!! my name is Md Mahmudud Hasan
I am new to Upwork, one month ago I startd biding but I did't get any job. I polished my profile 2 times but still not getting any more job.
I just can’t identify where the problem is?

Please suggest me what should I do?

Hi Md Mahmudul,

Please, note that a user can have only one account on Upwork, so please avoid creating multiple accounts and focus on building your current profile. You can check these resources to help you with improving your profile:

Getting Started as a Freelancer

Building a Freelancer Profile

Freelancer Tutorial Videos

Want to get that first job? Then check this out...

~ Valeria
Upwork

Md Mahmudul H.:

Unfortunately, there is no way to suggest to you what you should do. It doesn't even look like you have started work on your profile. There is nothing here that indicates you are serious about wanting to work on Upwork.

jmdloyola
Community Member

Why I cant get a job here,? I do check my profile already. Is there need something to do to get hired or what?   I need some advice.. please Hellpppppppp....

tlbp
Community Member

The category in which you are seeking work is overpopulated and highly competitive. You are unlikely to be paid more than a few dollars per hour unless you have a very good profile with lots of positive job reviews and work history. You also should not expect to have English-speaking clients seek you out unless your English proficiency scores are very high. There are many other freelancers who can perform the same work and have better scores.

There are free ways to learn and improve your language skills. You should study and see if you can improve your score the next time you take the proficiency test.

Juliet:

You say you want to get a job on Upwork, but I don't think this is true.

There are hundreds of helpful threads in the Community Forum that provide advice to contractors about how to get their first job, how to improve their profile.

There is little indication that you have taken time to read this material or follow any of the advice presented therein.

Your profile is extremely weak. Your biggest problems are that you are seeking work in over-represented skill categories and your profile page is not focused.

shawnvw
Community Member

Hello. 

The most sucessful Upworkers all seem to have more incoming requests than they can handle. I've only had a few since December.  

I suspect that my profile is "good" but not "great". Can I have your advice?

Yesterday I took this forum's advice and quit the Agency I was affiliated with. It's too soon to see if that helps.  

In addition to Excel/VBA and Tech Writing, I'm open to copy editing and proofreading. However, I suspect my "title" line is too long as it is.

Thanks for your help!

(PS: If this seems familiar, I must have accidentally posted this in someone else's thread yesterday. Or maybe I used the same title, and it was automatically added to that thread instead of creating a new one.)

tlbp
Community Member

Profile review requests get consolidated into a single thread by the moderators.

I think that the folks who have job offers coming to them started by finding jobs. So, it is not something that is going to happen when you are first getting started. Many of my offers come from repeat clients while others come as a result of my rating. Ironically, several of my offers have come through my agency. But it is my agency, not one that I joined. So everyone's experience is a little different. 

The first 3-4 months you should expect to have to aggressively seek work. I wouldn't plan on offers coming to you until you are well established. 

shawnvw
Community Member

@Tonya P wrote:

Profile review requests get consolidated into a single thread by the moderators.

That doesn't seem quite fair.  That thread is several dozen pages long; how can I tell what advice applies to *me* as opposed to that guy whose profile began "Dear Freelancer" (instead of "Dear Client") and who put down his expertise as "Copy Writter"?

@Tonya P wrote:

I think that the folks who have job offers coming to them started by finding jobs. So, it is not something that is going to happen when you are first getting started. Many of my offers come from repeat clients while others come as a result of my rating. Ironically, several of my offers have come through my agency. But it is my agency, not one that I joined. So everyone's experience is a little different. 

The first 3-4 months you should expect to have to aggressively seek work. I wouldn't plan on offers coming to you until you are well established. 

I have 12 completed jobs on Upwork. I guess I'm not "well-established" while I'm still a "Rising Talent"?

Ironically, I'm running out of Connects for the month because I've been "aggressively seeking work". But when I've asked on this forum how best to select jobs to apply to, the respondents seem to think I have many incoming invitations to choose from! (From what they say, they barely USE their own Connects, let alone run out!)

tlbp
Community Member

I have shared what worked for me. I can't share what I don't know.

Possiblly you're offering too many services. It seems to me that the most successful freelancers here offer exactly one service. I think that a lot of people don't want to miss any opportunities and so list everything they can and will do for money, but it comes across a bit like, "I'll do anything for money" and undermines the idea that you're an expert.

I'm not saying you're not. A lot of people are in fact experts in many areas. But, that's not the way you market yourself successfully--you choose what you're selling to a particular market and keep your focus on that.

iqbal-suleman
Community Member

Hi All,

I've posted some mesasge & community guys helped me a lot so this time I changed my overview so please can you look at it let me know what do you think of it?

perspertive of a client, what is good in my overview& bad? Please let me know!

Thanks in advanve!

Regards,

Suleman

@Suleman I wrote:

Hi All,

I've posted some mesasge & community guys helped me a lot so this time I changed my overview so please can you look at it let me know what do you think of it?

perspertive of a client, what is good in my overview& bad? Please let me know!

Thanks in advanve!

Regards,

Suleman

ha I thought your video was gonna be cheesy junk but it's kinda cute. Nice touch.

If I were you, I would change the font used. You can't really read the testimonials in the video. Maybe show them in full in a large font and then fade away to the next screen that has the next testimonial. 

Jennifer,

Thanks for advice & as for the overview which is under the testimonial did you like it? is it good enough to attract clients to hire me?

Please let me know!

I'm not big on the testimonial stuff, but that's just me. I would delete the first two sections of your profile that mentions them, but again maybe it works for you.

Hi Jennifer,

Thanks I will take your advice but I want to know rather than a testimonial stuff, do you like the below which I write?

@Suleman I wrote:

Hi Jennifer,

Thanks I will take your advice but I want to know rather than a testimonial stuff, do you like the below which I write?

The only thing I would question (and I don't know cuz I'm not in the design area) is if the technical terms are useful or not. I like the bulleted list of skills even though I think Upwork gives people a hard time over them. The only thing I would question is if clients know those technical terms. I don't. I just know "I need a logo" and then I would look at portfolio pieces. Your portfolio and your proposal is where you will compete and win.

To be honest, I don't think people even look at my full profile. I think they look at the first paragraph, look at my history, and then talk to me. I think my portfolio pieces I show them are what sells. I think it would be the same for you. 

I wouldn't go and change your profile for me, but personally I think I would take the bottom paragraphs and work them into the beginning of your profile and then have a bulleted list of skills. Leave the testimonial stuff for last. I like the "Main aim" paragraph. I think it's a nice opener.

Jennifer,

Thanks for your kind advice. I really like it. Hope you will do better in future!

Best of luck!!!

Thanks,

Suleman

mare114
Community Member

Hello,

It's almost 2 months on Upwork, I did 6 jobs and got rising talent status during this time.

But my last 20 - 25 proposals are declined , I need help from experineced Upwork members.

Please review my profile and give any suggestions to improve my profile to get more jobs. Thank you.

You should change your photo. The dead-on stare and precise shade of blue in your photo constitue the Blue Background of Shame that is a mark of failure.

toass
Community Member

Yeah I agree, your photo really looks scarry. Get new one asap. Better lighting, your eyes should be visible and distraction free background. Smile and look confident

Also your profile overview looks really dry and doesnt stand out in any way. It should focus on your client needs not so much on you. What value you are adding fo them? Hope this helps

diya90
Community Member

Hello, I am top rated freelancer and according to upwork top rated freelancer get invites,Let me know why i don't receive any invite for projects.

Thanks

@Priyanka U wrote:

Hello, I am top rated freelancer and according to upwork top rated freelancer get invites,Let me know why i don't receive any invite for projects.

Thanks

Please remove the links from your profile, it is a violation of ToS.

Apart from that, you should improve your profile, fix some minor grammatical mistakes, and maybe do a full overhaul of the profile itself. You seem to do a lot of stuff, but clients like a freelancer who is an expert in one or two fields. So pick the best 2 according to you. 

It is possible that higher activity leads to more invites, but don't quote me on that.

daei_f
Community Member

Well, I hope it's not late to thank you all for your advices, I already edited my profile but couldn't come here before to report... How does it look now? It's still hard to get some interview or response from clients but now I'm thinking it's mostly because of that 68% Job Success score I got, not even because of bad reviews (apart from the very last one I got in Elance) 😞

nadeem1988
Community Member

Hi, I am good data entry operator. but i would be able to get job in upwork. No one hire me. i applied in many several time but every one reject my proposal. I Have good administrative skills in me. But I will not get the job in upwork.

I passed so many test and verified english certificate. But I never have job in upwork. Please guide me help me.

Hi Nadeem,

I don't know if you have joined recently and I really don't want to check your profile, but here is a little explanation.

1)  There are tons of other people who is doing the same job "Data Entry".
2) Your English is too weak. (I see more mistakes than the sentences)
3) I am sure you write a robotic proposal on every job you apply.

Overall you will never get part time work here on Upwork because of poor communication with the client. If you still want to try then build a good portfolio. Good luck

elenica99426
Community Member

Can someone tell me what's wrong with my profile? I mean, skip the Job Success Score (which is also a problem for me, I don't really know why is that down)

@Eleni N wrote:

Can someone tell me what's wrong with my profile? I mean, skip the Job Success Score (which is also a problem for me, I don't really know why is that down)

I would remove that link from your profile as it is against ToS.

I would concentrate on your bookkeeping, accounting and Xero skills much more and skip VA/data entry altogether. That space is too crowded. That would mean developing those accounting skills enough to provide excellent quality to clients.

I would raise rates to at least 10$. You are studying Ecoonomics so you must know the concept of Giffen goods. I believe that applies here too. Demand rises with price upto a certain point, provided you have the feedback to match.

I would get in touch with best clients and do some repeat business, get perfect feedback which takes the JSS higher.

creativework82
Community Member

hi

Kindly please guide me how can i improve my profile and how can i get rising talent on my profile plz

Thanks

Shafqat Moeen

Shadqat: on your profile page you are offering too many services, many of which don't logically go together. This is a low pay approach and is not the best way to get hired.

Clients are more likely to hire a contractor, and will pay a contractor more, if the contractor is an expert.

Yor profile tells you are willing to dabble in lots of things to try to earn money, but that you only have average skills and are not an expert in anything.

I believe there are a multitude of problems that need to be looked at objectively. There is no one correction that will fix the problems listed here.

I love Upwork but I think this system is flawed. I do not believe that there is an actual specific criteria that gets you the Rising Talent badge. I think it is more of a hit and miss, luck of the draw type thing. This needs to be clarified by Upwork management as this whole system is confusing and unclear. With that said, I feel all the little rules they have hinders the freelancers here. For example, attaching a link in your profile is against the rules, so why don't they tell you that? Instead they allow it to stay with an infraction against the rules which may or may not hurt you.

I actually wrote a short article, which I received a response from Upwork stating there were already to many in this category. It had to do with people applying for jobs that require fluent English skills. I have viewed many profiles of these people and it is obvious that English is not only a second language for them but they are not fluent in English. If you are applying for a job post that requires the candidate to be fluent in English, they look at your proposal and profile, it is quite obvious you are not a native speaker nor are you fluent in English. This hurts in two different ways. First it hurts you and your proposal is chucked off to the side. The second way it hurts is a potential client gets bombarded with these types of proposals and they at that point think there is no candidates that are fluent in English. That hurts everyone. The client gets smart and posts the job again with North America as a requirement, now this hurts a lot of people but not all. I am a native American living in Panama, obviously fluent in English. With the clients change in the post, I do not qualify. You must only send proposals to those job postings that you are qualified for. (I would not think of sending a proposal for a position for Graphic Design, I am not qualified for the job.) Make sure your profile has no typo's or grammatical mistakes in it, this looks very unprofessional and will hurt your chances with a prospective client. 

Now we come to the problem of wages. No offense to anyone but a person in the Philippine's can work for a much lower wage than someone living in the United States. This is both a blessing and a dilemma for prospective clients. The blessing, they might find someone that is actually qualified in another country that would cost them a lot less money. The dilemma is how can they tell the difference between a hack and a qualified person oversee's? They really can't be for sure. There are a lot of job posts that expire because the client has not hired anyone. Granted, some projects are canceled but others are left abandoned because they just don't know for sure what they will get. It truly is a catch 22.

Also, new people trying to get started as a freelancer applying against someone with years on Upwork will be passed over. This is just like in the real world of employment. If you are new and manage to get a job, make sure you go above and beyond to get great feedback. Any feedback less than 90% is going to destroy your chances at more jobs. It goes right back to applying to only those jobs you are qualified for and that you can do really well.

These are just my opinion's and I am sure others will disagree with me on some or all which I have listed. The best advice I can give is one I live by. Perseverance, knowledge and a positive mental attitude will overcome all obstacles.

"I do not believe that there is an actual specific criteria that gets you the Rising Talent badge"

Actually, there is criteria because it's algorithm. What that criteria are is what we don't know, but I would apply common sense here.

"It had to do with people applying for jobs that require fluent English skills. I have viewed many profiles of these people and it is obvious that English is not only a second language for them but they are not fluent in English"

Yep, and that's why I'll always poke fun at the ones who claim Fluent in their profiles. They do it to get around these preferences and it's annoying to clients and clogs up the bidding system. People can hate on me for it idc.

However, I can tell you that their proposals get trashed quickly. As a matter of fact, I would say the lowballers with terrible English are what makes clients flip the sort order to highest bidder first and puts the junk proposals last and mine first. hehe

The junk Engrish proposals aren't your competition at all.

269b34bf
Community Member

hello sir

i am balwant singh and i am freelancer i want to some questions ?

my problem is i have no job for sothat i have applied .i have not earned income since 2 months.

what i do?

please hepl me .

Balwant, I reviewed your profile, wherein you chose the ironic title "writing" to identify your skill emphasis.

To answer your question about what you should do... You should understand that your true calling is not on Upwork. You take time away from pursuing your true path when you log into this website or think about it in any way. You will succeed elsewhere and in a few years, if you remember Upwork at all, it will only be to look back and laugh at this folly of your youth.

Hello Everybody !

After submitting my profile for the first time, I'd been asked to fix some errors and resubmit it.

I did fix the errors but I can't submit again.

When I click on the Resubmit button, I get a message telling me that I can't do that.

Please, help me.

HI Rahmane,

Could you please revise your profile to make sure your name isn't spelled in all capital letters? Once you are done, please resubmit your profile.

~ Valeria
Upwork
e_lilik
Community Member

Hello everyone.

Can someone review my profile please? I started to get less interview invitations lately and I was wondering what might be the cause of this - poor bids or some profile mismanagement. 

Thanks,

Gene

Gene, you have a very nice profile, with a great photo. You clearly are a serious professional who does good work for clients.

Here is why you're not getting hired as much as you should be and why you're making less money than you should be:

You offer some in-demand skills, but you are still not specialized enough.

You are offering a cookie-cutter set of technical skills that can be found from a million other contractors, including countless contractors from countries where people charge very low rates.

You do not need to get rid of all these skills entirely from your profile, but you need to pick one thing that you emphasize, one thing that you dominate like a boss, and ideally it will be something that clients need, but that very few people are specialists in. This could be a sub-specialization within one of the specific technologies or skills currently on your profile.

I don't think you have any idea what kind of earnings potential await a true specialist in an in-demand area.

I am a very focused specialist. My rate is rather high. And I have to leave my availability turned off pretty much all the time these days in order to avoid being inundated by high-paying job offers.

You have the intelligence and talent to be like that, but it won't happen when you present such a generalist profile.

Thank you, Preston, for a very detailed answer. 

Your point is exactly what was I thinking about to achieve in future - become a sharp edge specialist in single or two Javascript libraries. 

Thanks again.

Gene L.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths