🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Please, Review My Profile
Page options
gerrit90
Community Member

Please, Review My Profile

Hey guys,

this is my first time posting here.
I am on UpWork for a few month now, and it starts to get a little bit momentum.
This week I will breach the 1000 Dollar total earnings. 

However, I am still pretty unsatisfied, how few of my proposals come back with an interview invitation.

Could you guys give me a short review of my profile?
What do you like?
What dont you like?
What would you change?

I would appreciate any Feedback!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation here.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

1,400 REPLIES 1,400
rajibkhan216
Community Member

this is my profile link :http://www.upwork.com/o/profiles/users/_~018e97e024da3e35ca/ please sir give me a good suggation 

Rajib:

Upload a new photo, no sunglasses.

You list over a dozen skills. Remove all but one. Focus on only one skill. Demonstrate your mastery of it. Apply only for jobs related to that one skill.

AFTER you have completed some jobs, you may gradually add skills.

No client wants to hire a newbie to do 12 different things. They want to hire somebody to do one specific thing.

@Rajib K wrote:

this is my profile link :http://www.upwork.com/o/profiles/users/_~018e97e024da3e35ca/ please sir give me a good suggation 

you went to collage?  

Majored in cutting and pasting in collage.

elamanim
Community Member

Hello,

I would like to hire someone to work on my profile description and probably CV later. Can anyone suggest me the job category I should look into?

There's a whole section dedicated to that:

Writing -> Resumes and Cover Letters

Go here.

(As far as your Upwork profile page goes... I think it's already quite good, by the way.)

iqbal-suleman
Community Member

Hi All,

Can anybody see & let me know how my title & overview is looking, will I get invitation from potential clients & if I apply job is it impressive enough?

I've tried many things but I always came to know that's clients need expert so I'm only focusing on graphid design on my profile & add secondary skills. 

So let me know what do you guys think of it?

Thanks,

Suleman

Hi Suleman,

I think you don't need to add your feedback in your overvew they are already in  your profile in the feedback section

and you overview is so big try to make is short provide more infomation about what you can do instead of you have done. 

in your overview you said "I hope for the best, but plan for the worst" I would suggest you to remove this it does not look good.

good luck 

Mahesh, Thank you for your help!

m_rajal
Community Member

Respected one 

I want to know that how can i improve my account and jobs.Because for a long time i am not hired by any  client .

please se my profile and suggest me best solution.

thanks

vitorsilvabr
Community Member

Hello,

I join Upwork a few days ago and I still haven't got any job, I suppose that's normal, but even so, I would like someone to please take a look at my profile and give me a feedback if theres's anything at all I shoukd work on to improov it.

Thank you!

Hello Vitor,

Please add some portfolio, add job history and take some Skill tests . Have a good luck .

Thanks

Joynul
yitwail
Community Member

Vitor, your first certification is in Portuguese. Maybe you can also translate it into English as a small example of your work. Cat Wink

Thank you so much, I'll do that!

What about my overview, Do you think it's good?

Vitor, it looks ok to me but I've never hired a translator. However, I'm not sure about this part:

translated over 5.000 words

In the US, you should write that as 5,000 (comma instead of period), but regardless, I guess you're saying you know 5000 English words? From what I understand, that's ok but not great, and something closer to 10000 is better so maybe you should omit that and write something else.

Vitor, your English isn't even close to being native/bilingual. You need to change your language proficiency on your profile and make Portuguese your native/bilingual language, and if you are feeling brave enough, put English as fluent.

As a skill, you should only offer English to Portuguese translation.

@Vitor S wrote:

Thank you so much, I'll do that!

What about my overview, Do you think it's good?

Though I'm new at Upwork, I've had experience before and already translated over 5.000 words.

Say what? Over 5,000 words? Either there is at least on zero missing or you're aspiring to be a translator 🙂

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

@John K wrote:

Vitor, your first certification is in Portuguese. Maybe you can also translate it into English as a small example of your work. Cat Wink

No, he can't. A translator only translates to their native language. There are very rare exceptions.

-----------
mathew-phillips
Community Member

Hello,

I am having trouble with my overview description on my profile page: I don't exactly have much to write (Probably less than 180 words) and i'm not even sure about the minimum requirements (other than good grammer, precise and accurate, etc.).

Is the length of the overview preventing it from going through?

Thanks for the help Mrs.Tonya!

aranadeera
Community Member

I am fed up applying for jobs and not receiving good / suitable interviews being a top rated freelancer.

Give me a solution for this .

Anuja

Anuja:

You need to improve your profile.

You are a far better contractor than what some things on your profile convey.

Your rate is $3.33, which is WAY TOO LOW for a contractor who has your skills and has completed 120 jobs, nearly 2000 hours and has a 95% Job Success Score.

You should also focus your profile on your most profitable skill or job category, or the one you most want to do on a regular basis. You can continue to include some of the various skills you have, but you need to focus more.

Focus your profile in a way that makes you look like the high-end professional that you are. Try to avoid things that make you look like an inexperienced, entry-level person. For example, you should not have "typist" in your profile title.

And you should remove the sentence saying you want to "enhance your abilities."

Clients don't want to hire you to enhance your abilities. You already have abilities. Clients want you to use those abilities to help them with their project.

uqaabshah
Community Member

Dears,

I have created my account at oDesk/upwork at long time before but I dont have any work please help my, my speciality is Admin support and data enty.

Thanking you,

Uqaab Hussain

Your services are pretty broad and I don't think your profile highlights a strength in anything specific. Also, you say you have a lot of experience with Excel, but your Excel test is below average which might dissuade some employers.

Uqaab, please use another photo, one which doesn't use the Blue Background of Shame.

@Uqaab H wrote:

Dears,

I have created my account at oDesk/upwork at long time before but I dont have any work please help my, my speciality is Admin support and data enty.

Thanking you,

Uqaab Hussain

Uqaab, it would be good for you to improve your English skills.

We do not use "Dears" for messages; most communication on Upwork is informal and you may use the person's first name or "Hi, everyone" for addressing a group in the forums.

robseen
Community Member

I'm having problems on how to get clients. how to order the client accepts my proposal and hired me.

VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Syibro,

Please upload a real photo of yourself to avoid having your profile restricted.

~ Vladimir
Upwork
shenanvishva
Community Member

I  have been here on Upwork since April 2012.I get less hires although I apply to many jobs.I apply in the admin support category.Please check my profile and give some advice.Thank you.

Shenan, after 60 hours of work and many jobs, you really need to improve your profile page. It needs to have a clear focus and specialization. Your profile page is very generalist, and makes you seem like an entry-level newbie with no real professional skills who just wants to earn money.

Focus on something you do really well and sell yourself as an expert on that skill or job niche, rather than trying to compete with a vast morass of generalist "admin support" dregs.

talal84
Community Member

Hi,

My name is Hassan Talal and i am working on upwork since feb 2016. 

I am HR Proffessional and want to get Admin,Virtual Assistant jobs,

I have a difficulty in hiring for more projects. I applied for so many jobs but not getting positive responce.

What should i do?

Please positive suggestions will be helpfull.

Hassan Talal
thejdeepthi
Community Member

I m new on Upwork, My profile status id under review from past 2 days. Currently My profile is 70% Complete. Can anyone suggest me way forward inorder to start applying for jobs?

I want to start working as soon as possible.

Hi Akula,

Please include more information about your writing skills and experience in your profile overview. I would also suggest taking a few tests to showcase your skills and uploading a few of your writing samples to your Upwork portfolio.

~ Vladimir
Upwork
steveroo43
Community Member

Hi,

I'm new to Upwork. Could I please get some community feedback on my profile?

Thanks,

@Stephen K wrote:

Hi,

I'm new to Upwork. Could I please get some community feedback on my profile?

Thanks,

Since you're from the most beautiful province of Canada I will try to help 🙂

I know nuts about your industry, but you may want to elaborate a little bit more about what you can do for the clients. Also please check those links, may prove useful:

https://content-static.upwork.com/blog/uploads/sites/3/2016/02/08114459/freelancer-manual-020816.pdf

https://www.upwork.com/hiring/category/for-freelancers/

-----------
amica36
Community Member

Hello everyone!

I am new to Upwork. I hope to get jobs as a translator/interpreter for English-Bosnian/Bosnian-English job requests. After browsing a bit on Upwork, I noticed that my profile is way in the back of the very long list of profiles. How does one increase views/visits to one's profile? Also, any suggestions as to how to gain trust of the employers?

My experience with translation/interpretation with the above mentioned languages has primarily been as a volunteer work. As you can imagine volunteering to provide this service often does not mean to receive a formal recommendation. Rather, I usually received thank you notes and small gifts. I started translating for family and friends, and then later continued helping as many people as I could. However, after reading about Upwork, I decided to give it a try and make some money.

Since I do not have any formal recommendations from my clients, I posted some samples of translated documents that I myself translated. Do you think this is enough? Should diversify the portfolio more?

Thank you for all your advice!

Amela 🙂

lydiap58
Community Member

Hey team!

I'm new to Upwork though I've been freelancing for several months now. I'm trying to convey that I am a quality article writer in the field that can deliver exceptional results, but I'm a little afraid my flippant attitude and rate per hour might be scaring people off.

Could someone look it over and let me know if I've made any glaring mistakes? I don't want to waste my time writing excellent proposals if my profile isn't giving the right impression.

lysis10
Community Member

$25/hour scares people off? OK

Btw, speed is not something quality buyers want. They want someone with knowledge of their industry. Adhering to deadlines, yes. Speed is something the junk blog people want.

lydiap58
Community Member

that makes sense. Thanks for the advice! I'll change my profile to reflect that I will deliver quality articles quickly, not rush jobs.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths