🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Please #Upwork increase maximum skills limit ...
Page options
walid_developer
Community Member

Please #Upwork increase maximum skills limit 15 to 20

I think Upwork need increase skills limit 15 to 20 , What do you think, lady and gentleman?

5 REPLIES 5
PradeepH

Hi Md. Walid,

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. I'll pass this along to the appropriate team 

Thank you

Pradeep

Upwork
marc_compte
Community Member

Not in my opinion, having more skills does not help. The skills section, in my opinion, is not meant to be used to explain everything you have some knowledge about, but what is your speciality and what are you best at. If you think you are best at 20 different skills, you may have to think twice.

I have 15 skills, but many of them are either repeated or variations of the same. I could do with less, very easily.

You have many skills which are extremely similar or exactly the same. Web Design, Website Design, Website Redesign, Website, Wordpress, Wordpress Development, ... they can all be explained in two skills Website Development and Wordpress, the rest are just noise and will not make your profile look any better.

Picking your skills right is also a way to show you know what is important and what is not. Having 20 skills that just say the same, instead of making you any good it may make things worse.

Yeh, that might be okay and make sense for freelancers but why can't agencies list more than 15 skills. We've got more than 15 team members have the expertise in way more than 15 of the skills available to us...

elisa_b
Community Member

Having too many skills is a double-edged sword. You may feel like your profile is more complete, but some potential clients could back away because you give the impression to have a shallow knowledge of everything, rather than being a real expert in a specific field.

From my experience, clients tend to prefer freelancers focused on specific fields, while "know-it-all" freelancers with profiles cluttered with skills are not that appealing. 

When I hire freelancers, I look for freelancers with many unrelated skills, and then I don't hire them.

When I hire a person to fix my air conditioner, I don't want a person whose focus is on being a concert violinist/pastry chef/marriage counselor/pet blogger.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths