🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Please help me get in contact with a client
Page options
arian_a
Community Member

Please help me get in contact with a client

Hello.I saw a job post yesterday and that looked like something I can do a great job at. I wanted to apply for the job with a work in progress so that I can excite the client with my proposal. So I started working on it today, but when I tried to apply the job was private and it says Only freelancers invited by client can view this job.Here is the link of the project **Edited for Community Guidelines** there a way to get in contact with the client because I spent many hours working on the model and I don't even have a chance to show it to the client 😞

5 REPLIES 5
prestonhunter
Community Member

No, Arian.

That is not how this works.

petra_r
Community Member

Arian A wrote:

Is there a way to get in contact with the client because I spent many hours working on the model and I don't even have a chance to show it to the client 😞

No. In future, apply when you see the job. Right away.  Not a day later, and certainly not after having done hours of free work.

hardorff
Community Member

Why would you start working on a project, you're not hired for?

prestonhunter
Community Member

Arian:

The good news for you is that you created something on your own. You were not paid for it by anyone else.

This means that the project you spent time creating is something you could post in your Upwork portfolio.

(* Caveat: Unless what you created is based on somebody else's intellectual property. For example, if you created a model of a "cute alligator," then you own the rights to that. Because nobody can copyright the concept "cute alligator." But if created a model using detailed project specifications posted by a client in a job posting, using concepts they own the copyright to, including their logo and 10 distinctive shoe designs, then you would not want to post the project without the copyright owner's permission.)

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Arian A wrote:

Hello.I saw a job post yesterday and that looked like something I can do a great job at. I wanted to apply for the job with a work in progress so that I can excite the client with my proposal. So I started working on it today, but when I tried to apply the job was private and it says Only freelancers invited by client can view this job.Here is the link of the project **Edited for Community Guidelines** there a way to get in contact with the client because I spent many hours working on the model and I don't even have a chance to show it to the client 😞

If you feel you absolutely MUST provide free work, by all means send a proposal right away and tell the client you are already working on a draft for him. THAT would entice him to contact you, if he likes. Of course it also entices him to expect free work, but that's a whole other can of worms. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths