🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Please rate my profile
Page options
MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Get Profile Feedback from Experienced Freelancers on Upwork

Hi Community!

Getting started on Upwork can take a lot of work and focus. To help make this process a little easier, we’ve created this post where you can request feedback on your profile. The community is full of experienced Upwork freelancers who are passionate about helping others. These users will review your profile and provide feedback based on their experience.

If you’re interested in requesting help, make sure your profile visibility is not set to “Private” and then reply below. 

We’re excited to see how Community members can continue to help each other to grow!

Note: A previous version of this post was as the number of responses made it difficult to read and navigate. If you had not received a response yet to a request you made, please post again in this thread.

Cheers,
Mike
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation here.

Cheers,
Mike

View solution in original post

4,578 REPLIES 4,578

Well, Ally B from Sykesville, let's give this a try.

First, I see lots of data analyst
profiles and none of them say what they really know how to do. You, however, are the first one who actually sounds like you have specific experience ... that's a great start.

One point, however. You have one sentence that reads: "I'm the one for you!"

Just to be picky here, it's perfectly OK to say that. You haven't broken any rules (there are none that I know of). But it's a marketing mistake. 

The reason is that "I'm the one for you!" sounds like you want the client to do you a favor by hiring you. And what you want to say is that this transaction benefits him or her ... not you.

So that sentence should be something like "You will get accurate and researched data analysis that you can put to work streamlining your business."

That's the trick. My sentence uses the word "you" twice. That's what you want. You want sentences that tell the clients you understand what their problems are and that imply or say directly what you do will take those problems away.

"You will have clear explanations of that data that numerically defines your customer base." 

See how that works? Write a few sentences like that that use the world "you" once or twice.  Then delete the ones that should like, "I can't wait to go to work for you!" which sounds like you are trying to get the client to solve your problem, when it should be the other way around.

5263a3b4
Community Member

Good afternoon, all! I'm new to Upwork and would love if someone could review my profile to offer suggestions. I believe this link should get you to the public view: Bryan W. - Creative, curious, innovative thinker and driver of change - Upwork Freelancer from Arcad...

Side note...the discussion recently about scams has been extremely helpful, as I was partway down the path of discussing a proposal with a "client" earlier this week and something didn't feel right. I dug deeper into the opportunity and confirmed it was most definitely a scam. Luckily I got out before any damage was done (or so it seems). Definitely some lessons learned. 

Bryan,

You are (or were) just up the road from me. I'm in central, New York, as well.

But you have misinterpreted Upwork. It's for freelancers. 

Freelancers sell a service. They have to be experts at this service because they are not covered by an employer's insurance policy. That means, if they F up, there is only one person to blame. So they better know what they're doing.

Your write up does not tell us what service you are selling. So the starting pistol has been fired and you're still in the starting blocks.

There are other reasons you must first hone down a specialty and become an expert before you start here. Among them: There are 17 million Upwork members, so if you're not priced to scale and damned good at what you do the competition will eat you for breakfast.

Just from an economic point of view, a writer is a nice thing to be, but a writer  who specializes in, say, computers (or cars or gardening or fashion) will quickly be known by the 150 well-paying editors whose publications cover that topic and those editors will recognize an expert and reach out to them. The writers who specialize in "I don't know," meanwhile, will get lots of work at the bottom of the swill -- the dregs you might say. This will keep them busy and broke. The experts, meanwhile, will be respected and sought after. Much less time groveling for work. Much more time counting their money. 

As such, your write up doesn't really cut it for freelancing. However, it hints that you know how to write. That's a nice generic place to start and all you need is The Chicago Manuel of Style and a laptop and you can start putting some tear outs together and ... pretty soon you're on Broadway. Or on the way ... or onto something ... or something like that.

e7dfa18e
Community Member

Hello there! I'm a professional SEO expert. I have completed lots of projects but in Upwork, I'm new here. Can you please review my profile and make suggestions for me? 

Thank you

Ohidul

Ohidul,

I don't see anything wrong with your profile at all except your rate is very low. I know the drill -- you want to get a few clients and some reviews before you raise you rates ... but $7 per hour is still very, very l ow.

okele
Community Member

Throwing my hat in to have my profile looked at. 

Chris,

Well, that's a very strange profile you've got there. It breaks every marketing rule I know. But then you have a couple of very fine reviews ... so there's always an exception to everthing, I guess.

For one, your rate $18.25 per hour soundls oddly amateurish. Why not $20 per hour? Draw a line in the sand. Stand up to the plate. Be a pro. 

Or not. If it works, it works.

Secondly, what kind of headline is that? Old people can learn, too! The general rule of thumb for freelancing is that you be an expert, not a novice. People don't want to spend their hard-earned money on someone who is just learning their trade. And you go right into advertising you have more to learn. Bless that. It's not close to kosher, but what can I say?

Then you tell the world you've had two strokes? What??? As a old timer myself (several mini strokes, heart attacks, et al, on my record) I have nothing untoward to say about that, but as a marketing ploy, you don't sound like you're asking for pity, but how else do you think people will take that? Yes, you phrase it as "I had an issue an this is me solving that issue," but it's still a very odd marketing idea. 

Think of it this way: You've been around the block. How many marketing campaigns does the average American run into every day, let alone every week, month, year or lifetime? And how many of these have you ever seen that starts out with "I've had two strokes ... so I can't do my normal vocation anymore ...." Huh? 

If you want to turn all this around, there are a couple of helpful formulas. First paragraph: I am an expert ______________ with ____________ years of experience who has worked in a variety of high faluttin', very impressive settings or with these credentials/honors/successes under my belt. 

Second paragraph: You will benefit from hiring me because I can solve these problems for you ________________, ________________, ______________, and __________________.

It's pretty simple.

Here's a trick that might help and you don't have to write a thing. Cut and paste a couple of your great reviews and put them at the top of your write up. Make these the first things people see. It's nothing new,  but letting people know that someone else took the risk of hiring you and it paid off is a time-honored marketing gimmick and, nice to know in your case it happens to be true.

abhinow2003
Community Member

Would you please take a look at my profile and suggest some improvements?

727c3dca
Community Member

Hi, can you please take a look at my profile and suggest improvements if any. Thanks for your help in advance.

Hi Kshama,

Lovely photo. That's a good start.

Your second sentence is way, way too long. Turn that into four or five sentences. Then put in some white space -- which means break it up into at least two paragraphs. All that writing (very dense, dull writing) with no white space is tedious to read.

Then complete your sentences. I can't remember your writing specifically, but you do things like write, "Professional, effecient accountant with 14 years experience ... "

That's fine -- but it's not very friendly. And being approachable is very important in an Upwork profile.

So, turn that sentence into "I am a professional, effecient accountant with 14 year of exprience ..."

Your style sounds vaguely like a resume, all business and no friendliness. If you just take the time to write in the "I am a ..." or "I enjoy working at ..." and other small items like that you will sound a lot friendlier.

At Upwork, you write a proposal and someone writes back and says, "You sound like a good fit ... do you want to talk about my project?"

That's what you get -- an invitattion to talk about someone's project. As such, you want to sound like a very friendly, approachable person who listens to others. You have to be someone people want to talk to. Yes, you have to be an expert, too ... but your write up as it is sounds very stilted. Try to make it sound like you're someone people want to talk to.

9efa31e1
Community Member

Hello, pls help take a look at my upwork profile. I think it is the reason why I have not gotten any jobs as I have done research on and think I am now good at writing proposals. But I still haven't gotten any jobs. 

Alamu,

Pretty great, Alamu. You might want to add a few more writing samples and show people (and tell them in your write up) that you can write in different styles to appeal to different audiences. Otherwise, I think your profile looks just about right..

bcb4866d
Community Member

Hi, Could you please take a look at my profile, and advise what could be missing to land my first job  on Upwork.

Hamza,

I have to be blunt here, Hamza. It looks like you put about one minute of effort into that profile and you're asking $80 per hour. This smacks of guesswork. I don't think it will fly.

For starters, find some other copywriter profiles. Look around for ones with a lot of nice reviews and a fair amount of earnings. Read their profiles and take some notes. Then try again.

b0d15de4
Community Member

Greetings! Could you please look over my profile? I would love to get my first job as a freelancer through Upwork!

Sincerely,

Adam César

Adam,

Don't use your last name on Upwork. (You signed your posting here with your last name. You should stop doing that.)

First, I wish I could understand Czech, because that introductory video looks excellent. It looks fun. 

Secondly ... wow, you have a ton of skills, but you don't go very far describing it. Your profile  writeup should be four-five times longer. 

Try to describe the variety of styles you can do, because not all clients want the same thing. Also, focus on "I can solve these problems for you." Try to get very clear and real about those problems. Do your clients want a wider audience or more money or both? Do they want to have a ton of "likes" or to promote their brand or both? Do they want to find creative ideas or use the latest technology or both? Do they want things done on time? (Of course.) Whatever it is, try to let your clients know how their lives will improve if they hire you.

Hi Community! 

I am new to Upwork, and I'd like to know if my profile is good. 

Would you kindly take a look at my profile and suggest some improvements?

Thank You. 

nastassia_smith
Community Member

Would you please take a look at my profile and advise what can be done

Nastassia,

Hi. 

I wouldn't say "my _______ skills have improved."  That makes it sounds like you had some problems with that skill in the past. I would say "My strengths include ________" or "People at work praise my skills at ______________." 

Confidence is a good marketing tool.

vikaskhetan2
Community Member

Hi, I'd like somebody to rate my profile and also tell me the scope of improvement. https://www.upwork.com/fl/vikaskhetan2

Hi Vikas,

I reviewed your profile and have some suggestions.

The beginning of your profile Overview displays in prospective client search results. So, your first sentence should include clear, relevant information about your primary skill sets and expertise. You want this to be a snapshot of what you have to offer. Currently, the first line reads, "Thank you for showing interest in my profile." Clients will see this in the search results. Consider revising this.

Also in your Overview, consider describing the type of clients you usually work with or perhaps even your ideal client and the types of challenges you can help them overcome. This helps clients to see if you're a good fit for them.

As you're new to Upwork and don’t have work history on the site yet, illustrating your expertise through quotes from previous experiences can be a powerful tool. A good way to show clients that you’re experienced and reliable can be to include testimonials that vouch for your background and professionalism. This can include testimonials from a former boss, coworker, or client — but you can also use former professors, teachers, or classmates as references. However, any testimonials should be relevant to the type of projects you’re looking for. 

For more insight, I strongly suggest reviewing this short list of articles that I curated for you:

I hope these suggestions help!

Cheers,
Mike

can you rate my profile from 1 to 10 https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~01878764d90ecc27f0

3866e30e
Community Member

Take a look at my Profile New to Upwork and gave my best to build my profile 🙂

Junaid,

"Design and Creative" should be more specific. Creative Website Designer ... something like that.

0fc8a302
Community Member

Hi, I am new to the upwork, can you please review my profile?

Ruchita,

Excellent start. But I would try adding a bit more salesmanship. Your first sentence says, "I am a company secretary with five plus years experience ..." 

What about "I am a company secretary who can manage dozens of differenc administrative tasks and return deliverables on time with a smile on my face!"

I would go through your write up and try to add more spice, more cheer, more uplift. It doesn't have to be as corny as my example ... I'm just trying to point the way, not write it for you.

Good luck. It sounds like you have some remarkable skills.

Hi,

I sent well organized and attractive proposal to job posting with the best of my knowledge, but client don't usually attend to my proposal, I have sent more than 50 proposals no job offer, please I need guidance or another way to get clients to give attention to my proposals.

Thank you.

Dear Friends,

Can anyone please review my profile and suggest me the ways of upgradation. I am newcomer here. Thanks in advance.

m1mehta
Community Member

Hey Mike, I am new but was off to a great start. However, since the inception of Boost Proposal, I seldom gotten any response from the clients. Can you please check my profile and help?

Profile: https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~0168b4cf269118057a/

Manish,

You need to establish yourself as an expert and establish yourself as a friendly fellow. As such, you don't need to clobber your clients with every technical-sounding morsel you can dig up. Enough already!

The problem is the more you drone on about your technical prowess the less you sound like a friendly guy who someone might want to talk to. Just imagine going up to someone on the sidewalk and reading them your entire write-up. You know after three paragraphs, your audience is going to cover their ears and run for the hills -- Ahggg!!!

So, you need a balance. As a short cut, I would suggest just deleting everything in your write up under those two strange lines that appear under, what, paragraph four or something? You know the ones.  Anyway, you will have found that you lose nothing cutting all that out.

Then add just two sentences or so that sound gee-whiz, golly, aw-shucks friendly. That would be something like, "I can't wait to hear more about your project." Go in that direction for one, two, maybe three short sentences. That should help.

cc0bf9c3
Community Member

What issues need to be improved?

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~0193fc637fcab001b9

Please feedback.

Md,

You have some very nice reviews. You should start thinking about raising your hourly rate soon.

Good luck.

Hello Mike,

Could you please review my profile and give feedback. 

Hello there,

I'm new to upwork. I wanna check whether my profile looks good or not.

I have been using upwork for 1 month and I never got any clients.

Hope this would help me and some tips are appreciated.

Here is my profile link : https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~01e1c786398b3e3b9d

Your profile is set to private Prakash and so it cannot be viewed.

If you want it to be visible, go over to settings>profile settings and under visibility, select either 'public' or 'Only Upwork users'

Hey Upwork Family!

Upwork is a new platform for me to get more work! I make the profile completed. I just want to review my profile and what are any advance updates for my profile.

https://www.upwork.com/fl/~01da025b31abcd3f13

This is 👆my profile. Leve your comment below to help me to grow up my profile.

Thank you

--Kuldeep Patel😊

80c2e351
Community Member

Hi,

I'm new here, please help review my profile

Oriyomi,

Your opening sentence should say more clearly what you are selling and what you are good at. that would be something like, "I am an expert communicator who can provide phone support, customer outreach, and polling and survey taking." A few sentences like that might help.

Also, you rate is very low. Check a few other profiles of admin, customer service workers and try to pick a rate somewhere near the middle. Good luck.

4de7137a
Community Member

can you please visit my profile i need your help in this matter i am new here 

Thank you 

d763b269
Community Member

Greetings!

I have applied for some job with minimum price to build up my profile. But some how I don't have any invitation, not even a message. Is it because my profile and my location in Philippines ?

Please check out my profile and suggest me about how can I apply for job to get invitations and jon.

Thanks a lot!

Link of my profile: https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~0153dbd1a63e471f2d

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths