Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please review my profile :)

Highlighted
Bisma H Member Since: Jan 29, 2017
1 of 17

Hi All

I am new on Upwork and feel that my profile could do with a lot of improvement. 

Can you please critically review my profile and suggest how I can make it look better?

1. In the beginning, am I stressing too much on writing? does it look silly? I do want to give the impression that I enjoy writing but I want to keep it balanced and not overdo it. Do you think I should omit the 2nd and 3rd sentence from the first paragraph?

2. By offering a variety of services, does it give the impression that I'm trying to jump into everything or is it normal on Upwork?

3. Please suggest what hourly rate I should display on my profile at this stage with my qualifications, experience, and Upwork work history. Is it too low or just okay? Upwork keeps suggesting I should bid at higher rates but when I look at what the client has paid to others on similar jobs, I just bid at a low rate because I feel I'm a newbie. 

4. Lastly, while submitting a proposal, is it a good idea to say that currently, I'm not working on any other projects and am available to start immediately? or does it give the impression that I'm too desperate?(Which I probably am Smiley Very Happy)

Any help would be much appreciated!! 

Highlighted
2 of 17

stats.png

Highlighted
3 of 17

The above post has a screenshot of my stats page. By looking at it, where do you think the problem lies? is it my profile which is not showing up in search results or the proposals I'm submitting are not up to the mark? 

Looking forward to some serious help. Thanks!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 17

re: "In the beginning, am I stressing too much on writing?"

For somebody just starting out on Upwork, I think it is always better to have a singular emphasis.

Your profile is generally not very focused. You present too many job skills.

Are you an engineer or a transcriptionist or a writer or a virtual assistant or an Excel pro?

If you claim to do all of these, I assume you are not an expert in any of them.

Highlighted
5 of 17

Thank you for your honest opinion. 

I do get your point but...

The thing is I want to submit proposals for jobs in all these fields...writing, transcription, VA etc. don't want to limit my options.
If I only portray myself as a writer for instance, then how will I justify in a proposal that I can do other work as well?

And if I do concentrate only on certain types of jobs at the moment, how will I diversify at a later stage? 

thanks

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
6 of 17

Why are you working as a secretary with a mechanical engineering degree? 

Highlighted
7 of 17

lol. I am not working as a secretary with a mechanical engineering degree. 

I have an Electrical engineering degree but no relevant work experience. The only experience I have is of administrative work. 

Due to personal reasons, I can't take up a full-time engineering job at the moment which brought me to Upwork, where I can do simple fixed price jobs in my own time.

But, anyway, are you suggesting that I should not highlight the fact that I'm an engineer? if so, I can remove that. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
8 of 17

re: "But, anyway, are you suggesting that I should not highlight the fact that I'm an engineer?"

I would never hire an engineer to do blog writing for me.

Unless the topic of the blog was engineering.

Why would any client hire an engineer to do non-engineering-related writing?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
9 of 17

*Electrical.  

No, you can but with so many fake profiles around here, it raises questions. 

Anywho, I think you need a portfolio.

Highlighted
10 of 17

Thank you, Preston and Jennifer, for your feedback. Please have a look at my profile again.

I have removed the word 'Engineer' from the Overview. I can't really change my Education section as my bachelor's degree is in Engineering. Hopefully, now the fact that I'm an engineer writing blogs will attract less attention?

Also, under the services, I've only mentioned two kinds of jobs. Removed the secretary work.

About the profile, I read somewhere that portfolios can be fake that's why I didn't add any. However, now that you have suggested it, tell me will it be a good idea to add a sample blog I have written in the past? I don't have any major jobs on Upwork to boast about. 

Can you also suggest something about the hourly rate, please?

Thank you