🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Policies regarding portfolio submissions
Page options
fc215809
Community Member

Policies regarding portfolio submissions

I have compiled a number of pieces for clients, writing where I will not be directly cited as the author. There have been no official agreements with clients forbidding me (ghostwriting jobs) from posting these items on here as samples of my work, but I've had a client express concern that if I put the work into my online portfolio, Google may flag the eventual release of that article on his end as having been plagiarized. Can anyone tell me if the clients concerns are valid or not? This is a problem for me because I want to show examples of my work, but I don't want my portfolio uploads to negatively affect my clientele.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Mark H wrote:

I've had a client express concern that if I put the work into my online portfolio, Google may flag the eventual release of that article on his end as having been plagiarized. Can anyone tell me if the clients concerns are valid or not? This is a problem for me because I want to show examples of my work, but I don't want my portfolio uploads to negatively affect my clientele.

That would not happen because you are not publishing the article in your portfolio, you are including either a Word document or a link to the article on the web, so there is nothing to worry about either the portfolio item or the client's article being flagged as a duplicate.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Mark, 

It's always best to ask your client's permission if you can display any of the work you completed for the client. If you don't have any portfolio item to display, you may want to check out this article for more information on how you can leverage your skills and create portfolio items for your potential client's reference: 

I hope this helps!

~ Avery
Upwork
petra_r
Community Member

Mark H wrote:

I've had a client express concern that if I put the work into my online portfolio, Google may flag the eventual release of that article on his end as having been plagiarized. Can anyone tell me if the clients concerns are valid or not? This is a problem for me because I want to show examples of my work, but I don't want my portfolio uploads to negatively affect my clientele.

That would not happen because you are not publishing the article in your portfolio, you are including either a Word document or a link to the article on the web, so there is nothing to worry about either the portfolio item or the client's article being flagged as a duplicate.

fc215809
Community Member

Thank you so much for that clarification, Petra. That was what I thought too but I needed to be sure to protect my clients' interests. I am relieved to be able to now include some of my latest work. Much appreciated!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths