🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Poor delivery - how to adjust the payment
Page options
9cb24baa
Community Member

Poor delivery - how to adjust the payment

Hello,

I hired a freelancer for a job. I sent this person all the docs and clarified the questions I need to go through during a training session. The session was delayed by one day at the last minute. There was clearly no proper preparation done, all the suggestions were fundamentally not applicable to my data. All what was done was to give advice that I can't apply. 

How to halve the payment for a first milestone? The person still spent some time on it even though it was a lot of copy paste from online sources and googling to try to answer some questions. I will cancel the following milestone, no point continuing obviously.

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
prestonhunter
Community Member

To provide context, how much money in total is in escrow?

Please tell us so we can provide better advice.

But to answer your question, the easiest way to pay half is to send a message to the freelancer asking if you may pay half.

Then, after the freelancer agrees to your request, close the contract. Edit the amount of money you release. Change it to half and proceed with the closing of the contract. Then the freelancer will accept your half payment, and the rest of the money will automatically be returned to you.

If you don't ask first, you can still edit the amount to half. But if you haven't discussed the matter ahead of time, the freelancer may reject you refund request.

Keep in mind that you also have the right to close the contract without asking for a refund. If you release all money in escrow, you can close the contract immediately without talking to the freelancer at all, and there is nothing that the freelancer can do about it.

Either way, if you close the contract, you wouldn't need to continue with any milestones, of course. The FASTEST way to close a contract is to release all escrow money. If it is not a lot of money, that may be what makes the most sense from a business perspective. You don't owe it to the freelancer to spend more time talking with her or trying to balance her karma.

lysis10
Community Member

Tiana M wrote:

Hello,

I hired a freelancer for a job. I sent this person all the docs and clarified the questions I need to go through during a training session. The session was delayed by one day at the last minute. There was clearly no proper preparation done, all the suggestions were fundamentally not applicable to my data. All what was done was to give advice that I can't apply. 

How to halve the payment for a first milestone? The person still spent some time on it even though it was a lot of copy paste from online sources and googling to try to answer some questions. I will cancel the following milestone, no point continuing obviously.

Thanks

The freelancer has to agree to a reduced payment. If they don't agree, then you have to go into a dispute (mediation first, then arbitration if you don't agree). Best first step is to ask the freelancer if they will take a lower payment. Next step if they disagree is to file a dispute. You can release a certain amount from a milestone, but make sure the freelancer agrees first.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths