🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Possible Prisoner Scam?
Page options
aroseisarose
Community Member

Possible Prisoner Scam?

Hi all, Just looking for some feedback on this. l responded to a listing for a writing project about prisoners and addiction, and reintegrating back into society.
T he person responding is actually in prison, which l wasn't aware of. The client's name, when googled brings up a real person and author who is writing books behind bars. l have been scammed by someone on Upwork impersonating another organization and someone who works there, what l want to be sure that isn't a situation with the client impersonating someone.
The email address they've provided is not their own email address (this may be due to prison regulations). l want to to stress that the payment method is verified, so no red flags there. Has anyone experienced something similar? The client lists 2 other freelancers on different projects, they haven't reviewed yet since both projects are still open. Thank you!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Allison,

There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the job at the first glance but I've forwarded it to the team for an additional review. Please, make sure the client hires you for a contract and funds money into Escrow (if fixed-price) before you start working with them.

~ Valeria
Upwork

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
petra_r
Community Member

At the end of the day, as long as you get a contract on Upwork which is properly funded there is no scam as far as Upwork is concerned.

Personally I don't really care where the person hiring me is. If they offer a project that interests me and hire me on Upwork and there are no red flags regarding the work, I don't care whether they are in a small town in Europe, a castle in Australia or a purple bath tub on Planet Zog.

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Allison,

There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the job at the first glance but I've forwarded it to the team for an additional review. Please, make sure the client hires you for a contract and funds money into Escrow (if fixed-price) before you start working with them.

~ Valeria
Upwork
tasamil
Community Member

I worked with a client named "." Really, that is the only thing I know.

I worked with many clients who don't have their last name displayed and I have no idea who they are. They just send their instructions or files and I send it back when I am done. I really don't care to know. Honestly, for me, the only important thing is how they are behaving during our contract. In my line of work, some additional contact with clients is unnecessary. 

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "The client's name, when googled brings up a real person and author who is writing books behind bars"

Why did you google the client's name?

I never do that.

You could google my exact name if you want. (I'll send you my last name if you can't find it.) But if you google me, there's a lot that shows up that isn't actually me. A lot of cool stuff that I'd be proud to claim responsibiilty for... but no... that's not actually all me. Some of it is. Some of it's not.

@Preston H wrote:

re: "The client's name, when googled brings up a real person and author who is writing books behind bars"

Why did you google the client's name?

I never do that.

You could google my exact name if you want. (I'll send you my last name if you can't find it.) But if you google me, there's a lot that shows up that isn't actually me. A lot of cool stuff that I'd be proud to claim responsibiilty for... but no... that's not actually all me. Some of it is. Some of it's not.

Preston, IMO googling can be an excellent tool although I've read several of your posts whereby you don't agree.  As you know, one can't always believe what they read upon googling and receives far more accurate results when qualifying googling is performed.    

I use google all the time.

Google is very useful.

I just don't Google client names.

@Preston H wrote:

I use google all the time.

Google is very useful.

I just don't Google client names.

My reference also included googling client names; in a qualifying manner.  One certainly can't depend on the results obtained by simply utilizing the name.  Perhaps better understanding of my comments would ensue if I share that I can be extremely analytical with many things.  Oftentimes that includes googling. 

I often google a client's name, especially if they require you to take an interest in what they are doing. You can go a long way in securing a job if you tell a client you think their site is great and add a line or two about their business. 

@Nichola L wrote:

I often google a client's name, especially if they require you to take an interest in what they are doing. You can go a long way in securing a job if you tell a client you think their site is great and add a line or two about their business. 

That, yes. But there are some naive people who are being scammed here by looking up clients' names on the Internet.

They find the client on the corporate website of a respectable company and they immediately assume that this is the person they are talking with.

Not one second they imagine that they may be talking with an impersonator who picked a random name from the very same corporate website, because he or she knows very well that someone will look this name up and stumble upon the said website.

You're an experienced freelancer, wise enough to smell rats. Not everyone is like you.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

@Rene K wrote:

@Nichola L wrote:

That, yes. But there are some naive people who are being scammed here by looking up clients' names on the Internet.

They find the client on the corporate website of a respectable company and they immediately assume that this is the person they are talking with.

Not one second they imagine that they may be talking with an impersonator who picked a random name from the very same corporate website, because he or she knows very well that someone will look this name up and stumble upon the said website.

You're an experienced freelancer, wise enough to smell rats. Not everyone is like you.

True, but before bidding for any jobs, newcomers should think for "one second" and then take 30 seconds to read a few help pages and another 30 seconds to read that  thread at the top of the "New Freelancer" page, where they would see exactly what to look out for with impersonators.  

That said, I do think the greyed-out thread at the top of the "New Freelancer" page is much too discreet - it should be very, very obvious - probably outlined several times in dayglo green! (seriously)

In this particular case, I think the OP was absolutely right to google the client and then to ask about it here.  

@Rene K wrote:

@Nichola L wrote:

IMO naive people shouldn't even attempt to be Freelancers.  Unfortunately they're evidently too naive to know that. 

It's unfortunate but sometimes people have to learn lessons the hard way.  At least some that learn in that manner don't repeat their mistakes.  The others?  Well, what can one say. 

@Nichola L wrote:

I totally agree Nichola.  I've always commented on some of the information I've learned about a potential Client in my Proposal and during our conversation(s).  Most have commented how impressed they are with that and that no one ever does it.  The others have commented how impressed they are and that very few do it.  Bottom line---it's worked well for me!   

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths