🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Possible Scam Job?
Page options
kessler-valerie
Community Member

Possible Scam Job?

I had an interview via skype and it went pretty well.  I received an offer letter from a Turkish company ( the company is legit) who said my hourly rate will be paid via Upwork.  But they do Training pay and bonuses direct deposit.  This i am not comfortable with in today's day in age.  Should I politely decline and let them know I am not at all comfortable?  I did mention that payment  outside of Upwork is against policies...Advice?

3 REPLIES 3
robin_hyman
Community Member

Valerie K wrote:

I had an interview via skype and it went pretty well.  I received an offer letter from a Turkish company ( the company is legit) who said my hourly rate will be paid via Upwork.  But they do Training pay and bonuses direct deposit.  This i am not comfortable with in today's day in age.  Should I politely decline and let them know I am not at all comfortable?  I did mention that payment  outside of Upwork is against policies...Advice?

Run!  Sounds like a scam.  Any payment including training and bonuses should be done on Upwork.  Yes politely decline.  Or do not politely decline but definitely decline.  

I ask freelancers to NEVER be rude... not even to people they think are scammers.

We don't want real clients experiencing rudeness from newbies who misunderstood something and think a real client is a scammer.

Even if we know for sure someone is a scammer, we must act professionally.

But we do not need to reply. We do not need to communicate with them that we are declining. We can simply click the decline button.

AleksandarD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Valerie,

I checked the job you are referring to and it looks like it's already been canceled for violating Upwork TOS. You'll notice that the Message room with the client has also been archived. Please, check out the tips in this post to make sure you stay safe and protected while working on Upwork.

Also, please check this help article for more information on how to use the flag option to report any inappropriate content.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths