cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible job scam

Highlighted
Kristyn G Member Since: Dec 18, 2016
1 of 7

I was invited to interview for a job earlier today - A work from home/freelance graphic designer for *** Edited for Community Guidelines ***. It all just seems to good to be true so I figured rather safe than sorry.

I was requested to do an Interview via Google Hangouts messages, which I did. It was lengthy and thorough but what it boils down to is they will be sending me a check to use for purchasing software and/or equipment.

I have googled as much as I can... The company and person are legit but I can find no other postings for this job. I am inclined to believe this is all just an awful scam. I have tried to contact*** Edited for Community Guidelines *** Human resources directly but it is out of office hours and I can't find an email for them. I am supposed to check in with my 'supervisor' via Hangouts tomorrow at 8am CST so won't have had a chance to chat with HR before then.

What to do? What to do?

I have attached a screenshot of the email. The job posting has since been "withdrawn by client".

Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
2 of 7

It's a very old and well known scam here and all over the internet. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
3 of 7

Whatever you do, don't bother Sears.  They know nothing about this.  Scammers take the name of well-known companies.

Also, don't forget that agreeing to accept a check - for any reason - is against the Terms of Services and can get you suspended or even banned from Upwork.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
4 of 7

you think someone from sears would be using a gmail account and that's legit?

I almost wish upwork wasn't a source of income cuz I could play so many fun internet games here. It's like shooting fish in a barrel.

Kristyn G Member Since: Dec 18, 2016
5 of 7

I am so very new to any platform like this and I guess I just assumed that anyone using the platform would be legit.

Yes there are obviously red flags which is why I posted, because honestly I have never dealt with something like this before.

Thank you for the replies and I will try to be less naive and trusting in the future.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
6 of 7

Never trust anyone when it comes to Internet+money. 

Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
BEST ANSWER
7 of 7

Hi Kristyn,

As others have confimed, this is a scam, and the job post and client have been actioned. Please read the materials here for tips on recognizing scam jobs and staying safe on the platform. 

Tips to Avoid Questionable Jobs

Protecting Against Malware

Job Warning Signs

Trust & Safety FAQ

Resources to Help Keep Your Information Safe

-Lena

Untitled
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS