Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible phishing

amanda-mess
Amanda M Member Since: Nov 21, 2016
1 of 8

Hello.

I am new to upwork and have completed 1 job so far. I received an interview request from this company

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

. I have reached out to them on hangouts as requested. My question is has anyone dealt with them previously? They are sending a few red flags, and I am not sure if I should proceed.

Thank you for your help

sam-sly
Community Guru
Samantha S Member Since: Jun 23, 2016
BEST ANSWER
2 of 8

Did you just complete the job today? I don't see any jobs on your profile though I know it often takes about a day for them to show on your profile.  

I don't know anything about the business or client you mention. But a lot of scammers use other business names and even the names of real employees at that company. Your area of work is especially attractive to scammers. Newbie Upworkers are also attractive to scammers. I have yet to hear of a legitimate client who interviews via Google Hangouts either. I suspect this is a scam, but I don't really know enough to say for sure.

Keep in mind that real business people do not have hours to spend on a freelancer interview. Some of the scammers will text chat for hours. Also, any payment should happen through Upwork. Doing otherwise can get you banned from Upwork for circumvention (best case outcome). The worst case outcomes are that you may never get paid (very common) or you might even lose money through phishing. Also, the client does not need your personal financial details or a W9 if they are paying through Upwork. Finally, a legitimate client will not send you a check to cover software, equipment, etc. The check thing is the most common scam.

If you are seeing red flags, the best thing to do is report the "client" so the job can be removed and end contact with them.

View solution in original post

amanda-mess
3 of 8

Thank you for your feedback. Upon further research I have found that the name and email the person gave me to send my information to, has been reported as spam on other platforms. I have flagged them and broken all contact. Thanks again for your input!

habibur0
Mr. H Member Since: Sep 10, 2015
4 of 8

Hi Amanda

Welcome to upwork platform! Anyways you can work those people who are interested to work with you. Don't message someone who you don't want. You do as your mind tell. You seems its phising then don't message them.

Work with someone who has above 60% hire rate.

Work with someone who has 4.5+ Feedback scores.

Work with someone who has outstanding records.

Keep online as much u you can. Lots of job out there. Just try n try and don't go away.

Thanks

amanda-mess
5 of 8

Hi

Thank you for the reply! I am getting used to the platform here, so I just wanted to check if anyone else had had a similar experience. I will keep your tips in mind when searching! I am persisent so giving up is not an option 🙂

Happy hunting

Amanda

cupidmedia
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
6 of 8

You can see a great list of tips and warning signs in this thread: Tips to Avoid Questionable Jobs. The post was written by Lena, an Upwork community moderator.

amanda-mess
7 of 8

Thanks Jennifer. I will give that a read.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
8 of 8

Hi Amanda,

I am glad you came to ask the Community and I see that you have already received some great advice from others. I will also follow up with the team about the job you reported and we'll take actions.

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Upwork