🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Possible scam?
Page options
adouglass11
Community Member

Possible scam?

As a newbie, I was excited to get some interest in a proposal I submitted.  Upwork emailed that the job had been removed because it did not meet their standards, yet a message had been sent in Upwork from the client.  In addition, they emailed me a very generic email about getting on Telegram.org to have an interview, with a person who has a basic name.  When I looked back at the chat, Upwork had noted this person currently doesn't have access to Upwork and will not until access has been restored.

My gut is that I won't be responding to the email, but my question is this:  Is this common on Upwork?  I thought this might be a safer space to get work and avoid that.  Thanks in advance!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
colettelewis
Community Member

Ashley D wrote:

As a newbie, I was excited to get some interest in a proposal I submitted.  Upwork emailed that the job had been removed because it did not meet their standards, yet a message had been sent in Upwork from the client.  In addition, they emailed me a very generic email about getting on Telegram.org to have an interview, with a person who has a basic name.  When I looked back at the chat, Upwork had noted this person currently doesn't have access to Upwork and will not until access has been restored.

My gut is that I won't be responding to the email, but my question is this:  Is this common on Upwork?  I thought this might be a safer space to get work and avoid that.  Thanks in advance!

Your gut is correct!  And yes, scammers are common on Upwork - they are common everywhere. And you can avoid it in exactly the way you have. If you see that Upwork has delisted a job or that  a "client" no longer has access to Upwork then you will know that Upwork has acted to remove a scammer. 

You can find dozens of sites on the Internet about how to recognize scammers  and on Upwork have a look at this thread that gives links to many help pages for newcomers as well as tips to avoid questionable jobs: https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Getting-Started-on-Upwork/m-p/264214#M2460

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
colettelewis
Community Member

Ashley D wrote:

Your gut is correct!  And yes, scammers are common on Upwork - they are common everywhere. And you can avoid it in exactly the way you have. If you see that Upwork has delisted a job or that  a "client" no longer has access to Upwork then you will know that Upwork has acted to remove a scammer. 

You can find dozens of sites on the Internet about how to recognize scammers  and on Upwork have a look at this thread that gives links to many help pages for newcomers as well as tips to avoid questionable jobs: https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Getting-Started-on-Upwork/m-p/264214#M2460

Thank you!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths