🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Posts older than 3 days up to 22 days
Page options
chriswright75
Community Member

Posts older than 3 days up to 22 days

My question is... if a post has been around for awhile, is it worth the time and effort to submit a proposal?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
yitwail
Community Member

Christopher, I don’t apply for jobs that are more than an hour old, but that’s probably extreme. If a job is really desirable, it may be worth applying regardless how old it is, but check the “Activity on this job” and the number of interviews and invites. If there’s a lot, the client may be just testing the waters. Also, look at the client’s hire rate, and if it’s low, you probably shouldn’t bother.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
yitwail
Community Member

Christopher, I don’t apply for jobs that are more than an hour old, but that’s probably extreme. If a job is really desirable, it may be worth applying regardless how old it is, but check the “Activity on this job” and the number of interviews and invites. If there’s a lot, the client may be just testing the waters. Also, look at the client’s hire rate, and if it’s low, you probably shouldn’t bother.

Thank you for your post! Very helpful!

Thank you for your feedback! Very helpful!

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

Depends on the field and the size/scope of the project. I always look at when the client last viewed the post, along with the stats John mentioned. 

kbadeau
Community Member

At your hourly rate, I would apply to any job in that time frame that looks worthy. A client who is going to pay a good hourly rate is going to take more than an hour or two to choose someone. Also it's pretty easy in my field to tell which kind of jobs NOT to bother with after one day... if it's a quick t-shirt/brochure/vector fix, anything with a low budget I won't bother, but for something like a 200-page catalog or book I have applied to jobs that are two weeks old and been hired.

Thank you for your reply...very helpful!

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Christopher W wrote:

My question is... if a post has been around for awhile, is it worth the time and effort to submit a proposal?

At first all the job postings can seem overwhelming. In a few short weeks, you will be able to read between the lines. Look at the clients history and feedback, his hiring rate, his prior projects, is he completely new? Is the job description informative, or sloppy? You will define your own criteria soon.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths