🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Potential client mentions removing job post a...
Page options
e8bb2bbb
Community Member

Potential client mentions removing job post and processing the op-out fee?

Hello,

I've been invited by a potential client for an interview but while doing so, they mention that their project job post will be removed and will be processing the opt-out fee. I'm new to Upwork and I'm unsure what this means. I looked into the opt-out fee and it seems that it's pretty steep to pay when all you do is post a project/job just to take it down again. Is this a scam?

Thanks.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
robin_hyman
Community Member

Yep, it is a scam! It is known there are clients seeking new freelancers to scam them. Good for you for watching out! If it sounds fishy, it usually is. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
robin_hyman
Community Member

Yep, it is a scam! It is known there are clients seeking new freelancers to scam them. Good for you for watching out! If it sounds fishy, it usually is. 

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Jessica,

Thanks for reaching out. I'll flag this to the team for investigation and they'll take appropriate action.

I'd also like to note that all conversations before a contract is started must be through Upwork Messages, where you can send messages, have video calls, and more. When communications (and work) stay on our platform we can better track, verify, and help address any issues that emerge. For example, the vast majority of scammers that successfully take advantage of talent do so by going off the platform. 

~ Valeria
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths