🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Potential client suggested a 'paid' trial...
Page options
ecb8ae01
Community Member

Potential client suggested a 'paid' trial project

Hello,

After I submitted a proposal, the client got in touch and suggested we do a trial run with a smaller project, saying he would 'compensate me for my effort' ( that's all he said).

I'm all for doing a trial - I'm just not sure how the "logistics" of payment would work in this case.

Assuming I'll be compensated in any case after I submit the trial work, how to make sure this client will be true to his word given I don't know him and there are no reviews from other freelancers? 

Any and all information appreciated.

Thank you,

A.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi Ana,

You can create a Fixed-Price or Hourly contract for the trial, whatever works best with the nature of the work. Please check out this help article for info on Upwork Payment Protection so you can make sure you always get paid for your work!

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
AndreaG

Hi Ana,

You can create a Fixed-Price or Hourly contract for the trial, whatever works best with the nature of the work. Please check out this help article for info on Upwork Payment Protection so you can make sure you always get paid for your work!

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
ecb8ae01
Community Member

Thanks!

Ana:

I consider every job on Upwork a paid trial project.

Every single one.

None of us have tenure.

There are clients I have worked for through Upwork for many years. But my contract with them is on a "trial" basis. If they do not value my work, they can end the contract at any time.

Agreed. I also do not offer discounted "trial projects" as is often requested. Many clients will do this just to get a cheaper price, then never actually hire you for more work. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths