🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Potential client wants to pay via direct depo...
Page options
trina_schuler
Community Member

Potential client wants to pay via direct deposit -- is this allowed?

Hello! I have a potential client who wants to pay via direct deposit/check. They are listed as "Unverified" on UpWork. I am pretty new to the platform, but I know I saw something or other about receiving payments outside of UpWork and how that may not be allowed? 

I want to make sure I am not going against any guidelines that could negatively affect myself and my employment opportunities on here. Should I not accept any jobs from clients who wish to pay via direct deposit/check/outside to UpWork?

Also, the interview process was via Google Hangouts. is the normal or should I consider this a red flag??

thanks to any/all help!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JoanneP

Hi Catrina,

Please know that receiving/paying outside Upwork is a violation of Upwork TOS. All payments should be done on Upwork. I'd also like to note that it is not allowed to communicate outside of Upwork before a contract is placed. This is also a violation of Upwork TOS. We find that when users communicate outside of Upwork there is an increased risk of fraud, scam, and other harmful behaviors. When communications (and work) stay on our platform we can better track, verify, and help address any issues that emerge, and as a result, the potential for these behaviors to cause harm decreases dramatically. For example, the vast majority of scammers that successfully take advantage of talent do so by going off the platform. 

You can read more on this help article and also, please check out Tips to avoid questionable jobs. You might also want to check out the information here to learn more about staying safe on Upwork. Please feel free to flag the job posted or the client so that our team can review and take action. You can also send me a PM with the job post link so I can check with the team. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
JoanneP

Hi Catrina,

Please know that receiving/paying outside Upwork is a violation of Upwork TOS. All payments should be done on Upwork. I'd also like to note that it is not allowed to communicate outside of Upwork before a contract is placed. This is also a violation of Upwork TOS. We find that when users communicate outside of Upwork there is an increased risk of fraud, scam, and other harmful behaviors. When communications (and work) stay on our platform we can better track, verify, and help address any issues that emerge, and as a result, the potential for these behaviors to cause harm decreases dramatically. For example, the vast majority of scammers that successfully take advantage of talent do so by going off the platform. 

You can read more on this help article and also, please check out Tips to avoid questionable jobs. You might also want to check out the information here to learn more about staying safe on Upwork. Please feel free to flag the job posted or the client so that our team can review and take action. You can also send me a PM with the job post link so I can check with the team. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

Hi Joanne, 

Thanks for your response. Looks like they removed their job posting from Upwork, so unfortunately I can no longer share it. Good to know for the future; needless to say, definitely won't be going forward with this job!

Thank you for linking to those helpful articles. Again, I appreciate your response. Have a good day! 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths