🐈 Community
» Forums » New to Upwork » Potentially Dubious Portfolio Claims Verifica...
Page options
3b2ba6bb

Potentially Dubious Portfolio Claims Verification?

Hey friends!

My first experience posting a listing on here, I called out for some node devs and got a few responses. 

Several of the applicants' portfolios have cited apps/sites that it's really unlikely that they actually worked on. So far I got Yelp, Corona and Travelocity. I work for a major online entity like those aforementioned, and yes, we hire off-shore contractors, so it's not unfeasible that these are legitimate claims, but are there any tools for us clients to verify their validity?

Short of calling Yelp's dev offices, what can we do?

Thanks y'all! I look forward to hearing your tips and advice!

Best wishes.

14 REPLIES 14
yitwail

Nikita, I'm neither a client nor especially knowledgeable on node, but there are several things to watch for, I think. Does the applicant have a substantial work history, or not? If not, do not assume a "Top Rated" or "Rising Talent" badge guarantees legitimacy. Also, are there any test results that seem too good to be true, like finishing a 45 minute test in 5 minutes with a top 10% score? Another technique is taking some portion of the freelancer's overview and doing a google search. If you turn up a number of identical overviews, it increases the likelihood of a bogus profile. Lastly, does the freelancer's local time match his geographic location? Just asking about this puts you ahead of the curve relative to many a new client, I believe. Good luck!

Nikita:

Your concerns are very valid.

John provided some great advice.

My advice would be this:

If you don't want to spend time playing portfolio detective, just assume those portfolio claims are bogus if they don't seem to match the rest of the profile page.

And, ultimately, it is irrelevent. There is no way to know how a freelancer will perform for you before you hire him. So you are going to hire a few freelancers and carefully evaluate their work. Then you will continue only with the freelancer or freelancers who provide you with the best work and the best value. The more freelancers you hire to evaluate, the better chance you have of finding one who is a really good fit for you project and a great value for your budget.

novikovma

I don't see why do you think it's 'dubious'. If i listed my clients, you'll also call them 'dubious' (cooler than any of those you listed) and i know people who worked for whole lot more prominent ones on Upwork. Like, multibillion dollar listed companies, or ones that exited for 9-10 figure amounts. There aren't too many clients on the market who pay 40-60 bucks an hour for full time at the same time providing work that isn't idiotic and makes sense to do (no good developer would stand it for a long time otherwise) - so everyone who made six figures here, worked for at least one very well know, prominent client who you'll immediately recognise when hear the name.

Verify - well ask them for contact of their manager and confirm with him, what can be easier?

Eventhough I agree with Mikhail, your concerns are still valid because there are tons of scammers/profile plagiarisers.

I think everyone provided great tips. I don't know much about your field, but I think interviews are a great solution too. if you can ask them about something only a person who worked on these projects would know (or at least a question that shows they have the experience they claim they do) then go for it.

Right, and the reason why you don't list your clients is because (a) you don't have to, and/or (b) some of your clients might not want to "advertise" they're outsourcing stuff.

I'm pretty sure that if the OP were to come across a person with a profile that has the (proven) track record yours does, he wouldn't doubt the validity of that person's statements. He most likely came across some proposals/profiles that have little to no work experience on Upwork, but claim to have worked for/with prominent companies, in which case, his concerns are justified.

As far as "contacting their manager" goes, how will you do that? Would you just assume that whatever contact info a person (you might already have doubts about) gives you is the contact info of a legit representative of a certain company? Would you google the contact info of a certain rep/employee of company and expect him/her to be ok answering inquires from random internet strangers, or admit they've been outsourcing their precious product?

I don't think you, or any other established freelancer should take what the OP said personally.

@Mikhail N wrote:

I don't see why do you think it's 'dubious'. If i listed my clients, you'll also call them 'dubious' (cooler than any of those you listed) and i know people who worked for whole lot more prominent ones on Upwork. Like, multibillion dollar listed companies, or ones that exited for 9-10 figure amounts. There aren't too many clients on the market who pay 40-60 bucks an hour for full time at the same time providing work that isn't idiotic and makes sense to do (no good developer would stand it for a long time otherwise) - so everyone who made six figures here, worked for at least one very well know, prominent client who you'll immediately recognise when hear the name.

Verify - well ask them for contact of their manager and confirm with him, what can be easier?

lysis10

@Nikita H wrote:

Hey friends!

My first experience posting a listing on here, I called out for some node devs and got a few responses. 

Several of the applicants' portfolios have cited apps/sites that it's really unlikely that they actually worked on. So far I got Yelp, Corona and Travelocity. I work for a major online entity like those aforementioned, and yes, we hire off-shore contractors, so it's not unfeasible that these are legitimate claims, but are there any tools for us clients to verify their validity?

Short of calling Yelp's dev offices, what can we do?

Thanks y'all! I look forward to hearing your tips and advice!

Best wishes.

lol yep

3b2ba6bb

Thanks everyone for the responses! Some great tips here! ðŸ’ª

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Community Manager

Nikita,

I would just like to add that if you want to be sure the freelancer actually worked on the project they added to their portfolio and the project was on Upwork, you can check if they have linked their portfolio items to a contract.

Basically, when a freelancer adds a portfolio item and requests to link it to a contract, the client will be notified and can reject it. So if you see that a freelancer has a portfolio item linked to a contract in their Work History you can be pretty sure they worked on it when working on that contract.

If you come across some suspicious portfolio items, please flag them so the team could check.

Thanks.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Thanks Valeria! I should clarify that these are brought up in the cover letter (which is free text?), not in the portfolio part of their profiles.

I would love to see some of these fraud's cover letters. I guess I have actually. I had a few people back in my Udemy hiring days that completely misrepresented themselves. They must have stolen their cover letters because what I got after I sent them a test project was seriously nothing like their cover letter.

I remember this one guy really pissed me off and I wanted my money back since I think his cover letter was stolen. I guess I coulda just paid him but I was pretty pissed that his whole profile and cover letter was nothing like what he gave me.

ETA: This was elance so no chat room system. I think you can get rid of those jokers by just chatting with them in the message system.

@Jennifer M wrote:

I would love to see some of these fraud's cover letters.

You looking to copycat or just purrfect?

You know me, Stefan. I just want a giggle and maybe tell them they are losers.

Some screencaps of that convo.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Nikita,

I'll have the team review that profile. There are a few things that are off.

Thanks for reporting.

~ Valeria
Upwork