🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Pricing for new entrants
Page options
a_hamshari
Community Member

Pricing for new entrants

Subject closed, thanks for checking in folks.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
797567a2
Community Member

Hi Petra, I'm not gonna say that your thoughts are wrong, and certainly not giving any sympathy. Here I'm going to tell you my thinking, that's why the community being built. Now, listen to me closely. You are not alone in this UpWork community. We all are happy to give you support, to create an opportunity to grow up our thinking. 

You want to be native! not necessarily, yes? It's just a language, not knowledge. We have to get that knowledge through this native English. Get some preparation to engage in this way. Never try hard on this issue. Give it time, and the time lets you that submission by its own nature. And then you feel like a native. You don't need to pursue native English, the language will come to you at your service.

Like Rome was not build in a day. Give your best to nature, and someday you may feel like "Yes, I can do". 

Well wishes to you. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
petra_r
Community Member

Anas H wrote:

I honestly believe I'm not getting replies mainly because:

1) My ethnic background

2) South & Southeast Asians outbidding everyone with their pathetically low bids.

3) Shaky English (if your post is anything to go by)

Unless you are a subject matter expert for a particular niche there is a price ceiling for most English-as-a-Second-Language writers. 

This is especially true when that person has no meaningful writing background their English is quite obviously not native or near-native.

Anas H wrote:

Back in college I used to have dozens of clients (lazy, rich classmates mainly) whom I charged €100 to €350 for midterms, finals, etc.

Academic fraud... 

Won't win you any friends here.

Shaky English as a result of writing this thread from my cell phone.

Going back to the primary question:
What is a fair pricing standard for English as a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd language?

Anas H wrote:
Shaky English as a result of writing this thread from my cell phone.

Going back to the primary question:
What is a fair pricing standard for English as a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd language?

You need to charge what you believe your work is worth. 

Anas, 

Just a headsup: writing papers for students is fraud and it is a big no-no in all academic circles the world over. It is also against Upwork's ToS. Your writing will be instantly tarnished if you indulge in this sort of cheating and you should be ashamed of yourself for doing it. 

I am sure you are good writer, but your post casts a shadow over your integrity.  

Thank you, everyone, for your input,

I still didn't get a clear answer to my question, nor do I believe I will get one.

If there's a moderator active, please close this thread as I won't be checking it any further.

797567a2
Community Member

Hi Petra, I'm not gonna say that your thoughts are wrong, and certainly not giving any sympathy. Here I'm going to tell you my thinking, that's why the community being built. Now, listen to me closely. You are not alone in this UpWork community. We all are happy to give you support, to create an opportunity to grow up our thinking. 

You want to be native! not necessarily, yes? It's just a language, not knowledge. We have to get that knowledge through this native English. Get some preparation to engage in this way. Never try hard on this issue. Give it time, and the time lets you that submission by its own nature. And then you feel like a native. You don't need to pursue native English, the language will come to you at your service.

Like Rome was not build in a day. Give your best to nature, and someday you may feel like "Yes, I can do". 

Well wishes to you. 

Anas, 

Your ethnic background has nothing to with your not receiving invitations. You are trying to break into a highly competitive field not just on Upwork, but globally. If you look at the number of writing jobs against the number of writers on Upwork, you will see what you are up against. 

You need to find a niche and build your writing on that. And ignore the low-priced job offers. It does take time to get invitations in oversubscribed categories. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths